aismov

Cosmetic upgrades... what would you purchase and why?

28 posts in this topic

For the F2P that can't see the threads in the Barracks forum, we have a thread discussing what we would like to have if we had the ability to purchase ingame cosmetic skins and non-battlefield stuff. I'll start with my own personal wishlist, in no particular order

1) custom tank/vehicle camo.. just to change things up

2) custom squad patches and vehicle decals (to promote my squad)

3) custom soldier uniforms/helmets

4) nose and tail art for my planes (shark's teeth are cool)

5) use current ingame billboards to advertise/recruit for the 31st (... naturally I will be heavily recruiting around the Arc de Triumph and Eiffel Tower!)

6) Rename some of the ingame factories/CPs a la the Lier Sheep Farm and Tinfoil Hat Factory in honor of the 31st

7) Potentially name streets in large cities in honor of RL fallen comrades

8) Purchase squad buildings in capital cities to create our own compound. Sorta like Rust, but actually realistic and historical for the WWII-era

9) Have squad pitch in to purchase private squad submarine (when navy is expanded... see my post in the Harbor forums)... ok this isn't cosmetic, but the decals on the conning tower would be!

Edited by aismov

Discussion stage:

Brainstorming > business validation > technical validation > preparatory work > development > testing > release

———————

Aside the content of such an offer (technically do-able or not immediately), the important questions are also

- how much should it cost?

-what do you expect in counter part? (More f2p content? To what level? Decreased subs?etc)

I would be willing to pay $5 for something small like a camo helmet or a small emblem on a tank.

I would be willing to pay $10 for a camo skin on a tank or plane nose/tail art, and if it is something very special or unique like some of the Tiger skins I would probably too out at $25 if there are lots of bells and whistles.

Advertise your squad on the ingame billboards? I think $5/month per billboard rental is pretty reasonable. I think there are only 1-2 billboards per small town anyway.

Physicial things like renaming factory CPs or street names... Maybe $100 per year? And then you have first option to renew it next year, and if not, opens up for other players to claim. Got squad compounds? Probably in the thousands as this would be the ultimate show-off item to have. But it also requires some RPG elements. It could fit example be used to display squad war trophies (like players do in Skyrim). The compound could be expanded to have gun ranges for training. EDIT: I could see this expanding to let squads have something akin to the old Offline Trainjg location which is in the SE part of the map (wound be far behind the lines so that it doesn't affect the actual campaign)

For a fully custom and unique squad patch? I don't know... Hundreds/Thousands? There is a fixed amount of video memory so we cant go crazy and have thousands of fully unique patches otherwise we'll never load then all into the GPU frame buffer.

Edited by aismov

8 minutes ago, aismov said:

I would be willing to pay $5 for something small like a camo helmet or a small emblem on a tank.

Since 2001, I've daydreamed about being able to customize the appearance of a persistent avatar; i.e. choice of camo pattern, uniform & helmet variations, face, etc. I would absolutely pay extra for this. In fact, I wouldn't even care whether or not the uniform options are period-appropriate (i.e. 1940 vs 1944 uniform variations); this is one case where fun trumps historical accuracy.

3 people like this

On 2/21/2019 at 1:54 AM, ZEBBEEE said:

Discussion stage:

Brainstorming > business validation > technical validation > preparatory work > development > testing > release

———————

Aside the content of such an offer (technically do-able or not immediately), the important questions are also

- how much should it cost?

-what do you expect in counter part? (More f2p content? To what level? Decreased subs?etc)

$3.99-$12.99 depending on whether it's something small like a decal, or larger like a tank skin, also on it's eyecandy factor. That's about the price I pay for cosmetic stuff in my video games, also the average price of  a good vinyl sticker.
From that I'd like to see more f2p content that brings players in. I think it would work well because then the F2P crowd could buy cosmetics for the equipment they have and not be locked to only rifles and trucks.
That would be a good alternative to having people subscribe for most equipment, as long as there are people buying the visual goodies then it's well worth giving them the most stuff to buy for
Especially if just one skin is practically what the sub cost, f2p won't be such a burden as long as those same people are interested in some vanity items, which they surely will be.
If someone doesn't want to subscribe, but wants to deck out their full kit from infantry to armor to air, we should give them every reason to do that.

Edited by knucks

knucks is there a reason you routinely ignore the fact that we do have DLC?
One can already not subscribe and simply pick out an ala cart assortment of gear as interests them, and keep access to it
forever even.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

knucks is there a reason you routinely ignore the fact that we do have DLC?
One can already not subscribe and simply pick out an ala cart assortment of gear as interests them, and keep access to it
forever even.

It's more valuable to free up the DLC and push cosmetics instead. Tank DLC=$!5. 1 tank skin=$15 so the equipment DLC is pretty worthless compared to customization. No one has a problem paying for skins either because it doesn't effect gameplay and isn't pay2win, while at the same time drawing more player population because games which are free tend to do that better than subscription titles, or games which as for a 1 time fee of a hundred something dollars for the very basic kit, which is what the equipment DLC is.

Edited by knucks

I would pay for my squad logo on my truck (say bedford&laffly). I would pay $10 for sure if i could  get rid of the target on top of my laffly ;).

Camoflage for armor if it actually helped obscure my tanks outline such as bushes etc. I would definatly pay for that if i could bring my bush with my 2lbr..

I'm guessing the rats could implement the systems per armor class? The same camo for all your tanks, trucks, atgs would look a little weird.

How could the implement it tho...bushes etc could be ppo based. Camos would need to be skins per chassis type? The artists would have to export all the skins to a library, and you could pick the camo or pattern you would prefer. Would need a ui but the new update is going to modern html5 base isn't it? Should be easily expandable.

Why not a billboard on the side of your trucks advertising your squad,  wife's bithday, favourite pet..whatever!

We see trucks all the time!

I would buy a skin/insignia that signifies you are a donor.  

Recently, the Overwatch Team raised millions of dollars for breast cancer research by offering a unique skin for $14.99, where all proceeds went towards the donation.  https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/21931801

So, I'd pay 15 bucks for a "Builder" patch on my sleeve or something.  

And no I'm not talking about the Builder hammer next to my name.  It has to be some kind of unique texture.  

I would be against bushes/camo netting etc that lets your tank blend in more because that is getting right over the line into pay2win territory.

one other thing that I would consider buying if available would be a PPO flag type object with my squad that we could plant down. Again would have to be period soecific and approved by whoever at CRS would be the point person to approve designs. Pretty useless but fun in the sense that it is one more thing that gives squad a sense of ownership.

9 hours ago, aismov said:

I would be against bushes/camo netting etc that lets your tank blend in more because that is getting right over the line into pay2win territory.

So you'd specifically be against DLC units, and the subscription if that was the case.

In my ideal world I would have a model similar to PS2 where everything is F2P and simply monetized by microtransactions with subscribers getting special percs like no side locking or spawn delay along with other social features and HC access. But that right now isn't possible.

I think DLC is actually a hole we don't want to be digging ourselves into any more since it creates havoc with building out the spawnlists because they have to account for DLC players.

It works in theory, lots of game's go for F2P/microtransaction/Cosmetics or F2P/subscription/Cosmetics
The difference is those games are F2P first, giving them the advantage of a larger playerbase to market too.
So if your F2P isn't happy, you don't have many customers. In short I agree DLC being a dead end.

The one problem that WWIIOL has with consmetics is that we are constrained by historically plausible stuff. Games like Fortnite has it much easier since its pure fantasy. That said, there is still a TON of stuff that could be sold via microtransactions.

Subscriptions are here to stay I think in some regard since they give the development team a stable financial base from which to maintain critical infrastructure and continue working on the game. Although F2P monetization is all the rage these days and microtransactions are currently a hyped up term recently, there is a reason why all MMOs/game with critical server infrastructure still have subscription plans. Something tells me that they are more important than the popular press had led other to believe since F2P monetization in aggregate is mostly by game with no or minimal server upkeep costs.

Not true, you very first example was PS2, an MMO with many running server packing HUGE bandwith, same with E.V.E. Yes these games have subscriptions but F2P is the initial attraction. The Subscription is still an anchor since these games came out during a time when that was usual, now ? Maybe not so much. I know the concern with unrealistic camos, honestly a quick google search provides hundreds of clean looking, realistic camo schemes that could be used in WWIIol and fit right in. Tons of examples out there.

0000000000001_zpsae6c1331.jpg

Edited by knucks

I agree that there are tons of examples, but it still isn't infinite like Fortnite. No matter how much we want it I won't be able to model and purchase an umbrella skin for my paratrooper. But I agree with you that there are so many skins that can be done that in effect they are essentially infinite. I think for the Tiger alone there are something like 50+ camo variants.

Now regarding subscriptions the one issue is we don't know the finances of many of these companies. But that fact that no Tier 1/AAA MMO that is a true MMO with critical server infrastructure for a single prissy ant world (so Post Scriptum is out) has ditched the subscription model I think is very telling about the underlying finances.

My guess is that it has to do with cash flow. Microtransactions are likely very episodic with players buying them when they first come out or on special occasions. Companies may rely on subscriptions in order to even it out so they don't need to have as big of a rotating line of credit or some other high(er) interest method of making payroll and network costs every month. Uneven cash flow is a huge killer for businesses. 

Post Scriptum is not an MMO, nor claims to be or is even classifiable as such. Trust me, I know what an MMO is. 50 tiger skins at 10 a pop is more profit you could ever make from a subscription, that's why it works and there's hundreds apon thousands of examples you can pull from. Multiply that by 100 or so and you have a healthy max of $5000 or so per player. Expect 1-2% to reach the cap, those are the whales yes their well documented. 17-24% will at some point buy a cosmetic, many more than one. The rest is F2P and the great thing about the way these games do it is that they make so much money off the former they can maintain the f2p base, which is great for everyone else because without healthy population you can never have a self sufficient game. The reason this game doesn't see any population boost for any time is because you're already under the threshold of a game considered "alive", with numbers dropping into the dozens every night, people look at the charts, pop in game and see a dead server and they know the game isn't worth any sort of manditory payment. Even WoW if it ever found itself shrinking fast would quickly employ F2P, that's what saves MMO's these days and prevents them from going under.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, knucks said:

Not true, you very first example was PS2, an MMO with many running server packing HUGE bandwith, same with E.V.E. Yes these games have subscriptions but F2P is the initial attraction. The Subscription is still an anchor since these games came out during a time when that was usual, now ? Maybe not so much. I know the concern with unrealistic camos, honestly a quick google search provides hundreds of clean looking, realistic camo schemes that could be used in WWIIol and fit right in. Tons of examples out there.

0000000000001_zpsae6c1331.jpg

^^^^ how fast was the porche tiger?

Well since none were even truly built outside of prototypes we don't know. But the Elefant could make about 30 km/h. But it was also heavier.

On 3/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, knucks said:

Post Scriptum is not an MMO, nor claims to be or is even classifiable as such. Trust me, I know what an MMO is. 50 tiger skins at 10 a pop is more profit you could ever make from a subscription, that's why it works and there's hundreds apon thousands of examples you can pull from. Multiply that by 100 or so and you have a healthy max of $5000 or so per player. Expect 1-2% to reach the cap, those are the whales yes their well documented. 17-24% will at some point buy a cosmetic, many more than one. The rest is F2P and the great thing about the way these games do it is that they make so much money off the former they can maintain the f2p base, which is great for everyone else because without healthy population you can never have a self sufficient game. The reason this game doesn't see any population boost for any time is because you're already under the threshold of a game considered "alive", with numbers dropping into the dozens every night, people look at the charts, pop in game and see a dead server and they know the game isn't worth any sort of manditory payment. Even WoW if it ever found itself shrinking fast would quickly employ F2P, that's what saves MMO's these days and prevents them from going under.

One of the things working against WWIIOL is that huge map and spawning anywhere, you could be on the original 'good ol days' of 1500/3000 person nights and still spawn in the middle of nowhere, because the map is so vast and there is no explanation as to what is going on.

I think that's lost a lot of people over the years, even with much greater online numbers.

Can't be Darwinian lizard with new customers, gotta be mammal and nurture.

Oh and to your bandwidth point- this is ONE server, or properly speaking server cluster, not 1000s of individual clones, and with 10km plus views if you are flying.  It's a different thing then a bunch of small arena 100 player servers x X#.

A lot of what you want might be solved by 64-bit 16GB minimum machines, but we ain't there yet.

Edited by Kilemall

On 3/14/2019 at 10:04 PM, MikeAZ said:

^^^^ how fast was the porche tiger?

Wiki says 22 mph.

Only one saw combat, the other 100 chassis were made into Ferdinands then Elefants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VK_4501_(P)

1 person likes this