Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dre21

111 Torpedo Bomber

9 posts in this topic

I read the book Lady Death , and there it was mentioned that a Russian ship was sunk by a 111 torpedo bomber .

Now why not get that into game , that way the Blen Torpedo Bomber can become a stable in game too and not just for intermission .

Lady Death is the memoir of Ludmila Pavlichenko , female Russian sniper so not a  fiction book.

Just thought I throw it out there.

BlenT is intermission only because the Blen never actually carried a torpedo. It's a 1 off scenario vehicle. The HE111 was equipped with torps in RL.

So would need a actual allied torpedo plane. Brits used a Swordfish bi-plane.

And the Blackburn Skua. Later, the TBF Avenger.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately the He 111 was a terrible torpedo bomber...big, slow, and un-nimble. Against unaccompanied freighters, it could do OK. Against warships with mid-war or later AA, or early war AA with high-skill gunners, it was a deathtrap.

The fact that the aircraft model exists and that the current vessel models are all poorly armed and incapable of effectively manning even the few weak guns they have without taking away the defensively crucial helmsman, is not a sufficient justification for saddling the game with yet another bad naval-gameplay capability. 

The Axis needs a torpedo version of the Ju 88, and the SM 79. The Allies need to have A20 variants with the torpedo kits that were used by the Russians, available to the British, and I think would have been available to the French.

And, before anyone gets effective torpedo armament, all the vessel models have to be polycrewable; AA-armed in alignment with their historical vessels even if on a generic model otherwise; and AA-armament tier-upgraded as historically appropriate.

If the He 111 model is going to have additional naval-relevant armament added, it should be mines.

1 hour ago, OLDZEKE said:

Brits used a Swordfish bi-plane.

+10. Yay for the Stringbag. 

Torpedo armed, it could dive vertically from 6000 feed at full throttle, pull out at the deck, drop immediately, make an abrupt 180 degree turn and jink away. It also tended to be harder to hit with AA because it was so slow that enemy gunners commonly would lead it too much. 

It had a seaplane version. 

It could take off and land on converted freighters with very short flight decks.

Starting in 1942, some models were equipped with 40km-range naval search radar.

Starting in 1942, it was commonly armed with racks for eight anti-ship/anti-tank rockets.

1024px-Rocket-armed_Fairey_Swordfish_on_

2 people like this

3 hours ago, jwilly said:

+10. Yay for the Stringbag. 

Torpedo armed, it could dive vertically from 6000 feed at full throttle, pull out at the deck, drop immediately, make an abrupt 180 degree turn and jink away. It also tended to be harder to hit with AA because it was so slow that enemy gunners commonly would lead it too much. 

It had a seaplane version. 

It could take off and land on converted freighters with very short flight decks.

Starting in 1942, some models were equipped with 40km-range naval search radar.

Starting in 1942, it was commonly armed with racks for eight anti-ship/anti-tank rockets.

I really appreciate the balls of those fellas who flew them against the Bismarck. One of them got a crucial hit in which jammed the battleship's rudders, leaving the Bismarck at the tender mercies of the Royal Navy.

I would be afraid of trying to torpedo with an HE-111
A swordfish isnt fast, but it can jink around like mad
HE-111 not so much, awful low and slow, i'd probably wind up food for the AA guns.

I'd give this a whirl though
Junkers_Ju_87_D-4__with__torpedo.jpg

Junkers_Ju_87_D-4__with__torpedo.jpg

Edited by Merlin51
pic did not display

Sm.79 was widely regarded as a great torpedoe bomber ... its not exactly nimble compared to a 111 and is roughly the same size.

SM79 went up against early war destroyers, i.e. poor AA.

By midwar, more and better AA was out there. By T4, anything that's not fast and maneuverable will die a lot.

The reason for advocating the SM79 is that it was Italy's best torpedo bomber, and that was their best aviation specialty.

The reason for advocating against the He 111 is that it's not the best early-war German option once the game is ready for torpedo bombers.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0