Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
imded

Some long term ideas

16 posts in this topic

• The way supplies come to the towns could be changed to: We have rail system of tracks in the game. Lets have real trains with supplies on them getting to the front area. They could have AA cars on them and ones that player could actually man. Also they would be timed to go from the factories to the towns designated by HC and it would match the normal supply times. It would take a natural amount of time to travel said distance. This could also include CONVOYS of trucks. The time it takes should be calculated in. All this will be set up by the Sr. HC at hand. NOTE: this train/convoy (and mobile aaa that can be manned also, with shoot on the move too,  only attached to the convoy) can be killed if found by the enemy. As for British factories, a boat would be included with specific shipping routes involved. Support will be needed possibly on this that would create more team work.
  • With the above supply methods introduced will create another unit. Spotter plane, shoot me plane, single engine, pilot and observer. This plane can fly slow and low. Stall speed of 35mph (56kph), max speed 75mph (120kph). The purpose of this plane (manned only) is to find the supplies in route to the front and report to the HC (and/or mark on map). (Can also be used to see other objects that are in play) Now that the supply trains/convoy has been found, methods of attacking can be launched (planes, armor, trucks with troops, etc.). Keep in mind the train/convoy is on the move, so their location is in constant motion. Either the planes stays over contact or you SWAG (scientific wild azz guess)  it. The scout plane would not set off the AWS and has NO HALO, just the type of plane name. Maybe you have to land the plane near a command center to pass off info?
  • Now I have another thought the small plane can be used for. 1st separate out what each factory produces (LMGs, pistols, planes, boats, diff types of tanks, etc)  You would have to make more factory towns and spread them out more too.  When the map/campaign starts. The opposing side does not know what the factory produces (random generated by system). It would require a fly by of the SCOUT PLANE over the factory to get what it produces. Now this info can be used in another way too. RDP bombing can specifically hurt the production of that particular item.
  • This would open up a totally different aspect to the game. Not mostly ground based play. I for one, would enjoy the hell out of the scout plane. Every squadron would have 2-4 planes. Navy and Air become a little more important. Especially the Navy, it would have a greater influence to the game. This could open up more Navy types of ships. Convoy support. Subs. etc.

I see this could pull in some more players and old timers too. Let your mind play with this before responding.

I thought trains were already represented in the game .... they were just invisible! :D :lol:

on point 2 .. why? why would you limit a plane to some silly unrealistic setting? it seems like you're trying to create a unit that is hard to spot and hard to shoot down by way of its UFO like ability to stay aloft at super low speeds?

again, why? unarmed recon spitfires were a good deal faster than regular spitfires. unarmed recon 109s, same thing. that alone makes them hard to shoot down but more importantly fits the theme of the game in that, we at a minimum all want 'weapons' in game to adhere as closely as possible to realistic performances.

53 minutes ago, imded said:
  • The way supplies come to the towns could be changed to: We have rail system of tracks in the game. Lets have real trains with supplies on them getting to the front area. They could have AA cars on them and ones that player could actually man. Also they would be timed to go from the factories to the towns designated by HC and it would match the normal supply times. It would take a natural amount of time to travel said distance. This could also include CONVOYS of trucks. The time it takes should be calculated in. All this will be set up by the Sr. HC at hand. NOTE: this train/convoy (and mobile aaa that can be manned also, with shoot on the move too,  only attached to the convoy) can be killed if found by the enemy. As for British factories, a boat would be included with specific shipping routes involved. Support will be needed possibly on this that would create more team work.
  • With the above supply methods introduced will create another unit. Spotter plane, shoot me plane, single engine, pilot and observer. This plane can fly slow and low. Stall speed of 35mph (56kph), max speed 75mph (120kph). The purpose of this plane (manned only) is to find the supplies in route to the front and report to the HC (and/or mark on map). (Can also be used to see other objects that are in play) Now that the supply trains/convoy has been found, methods of attacking can be launched (planes, armor, trucks with troops, etc.). Keep in mind the train/convoy is on the move, so their location is in constant motion. Either the planes stays over contact or you SWAG (scientific wild azz guess)  it. The scout plane would not set off the AWS and has NO HALO, just the type of plane name. Maybe you have to land the plane near a command center to pass off info?
  • Now I have another thought the small plane can be used for. 1st separate out what each factory produces (LMGs, pistols, planes, boats, diff types of tanks, etc)  You would have to make more factory towns and spread them out more too.  When the map/campaign starts. The opposing side does not know what the factory produces (random generated by system). It would require a fly by of the SCOUT PLANE over the factory to get what it produces. Now this info can be used in another way too. RDP bombing can specifically hurt the production of that particular item.
  • This would open up a totally different aspect to the game. Not mostly ground based play. I for one, would enjoy the hell out of the scout plane. Every squadron would have 2-4 planes. Navy and Air become a little more important. Especially the Navy, it would have a greater influence to the game. This could open up more Navy types of ships. Convoy support. Subs. etc.

I see this could pull in some more players and old timers too. Let your mind play with this before responding.

I like the idea of having visible supply via trains, truck convoys, and even ai shipping (or not ai, either way).

Modeling unarmed (thus faster, not slower) recon planes is the way to go, imho, and they should set off AWS and have HALOs, thus allowing the opportunity to shoot them down if a side so chooses to spend resources via providing a CAP for the supply trains, etc.

S!

39 minutes ago, madrebel said:

on point 2 .. why? why would you limit a plane to some silly unrealistic setting? it seems like you're trying to create a unit that is hard to spot and hard to shoot down by way of its UFO like ability to stay aloft at super low speeds?

again, why? unarmed recon spitfires were a good deal faster than regular spitfires. unarmed recon 109s, same thing. that alone makes them hard to shoot down but more importantly fits the theme of the game in that, we at a minimum all want 'weapons' in game to adhere as closely as possible to realistic performances.

Because they were not designed as spotter planes. As for the speed, this is what those planes did in WWII. This is a real plane and made to do scouting. Not as a fighter.Blow are Examples of HISTORIC spotter type aircraft. Although I really don't understand the hostility. I am just trying to expand game play to include different types of action. As for the halo, you still show the name, not this big round thing showing off your location. As for killing it. A slower moving plane will die easier to AAA and small arms. And its engine sound locates it well for ground based units.  It is not this stealthy thing that you imagine. A Spit or 09 would wreck it in one pass. It is very vulnerable.

Henschel%20126B.jpg

fiesler-storch-ww11-german-aircraft-at-a

1252031947_1a8c06daab_b.jpg

Piper_L4.jpg

19 minutes ago, augetout said:

I like the idea of having visible supply via trains, truck convoys, and even ai shipping (or not ai, either way).

Modeling unarmed (thus faster, not slower) recon planes is the way to go, imho, and they should set off AWS and have HALOs, thus allowing the opportunity to shoot them down if a side so chooses to spend resources via providing a CAP for the supply trains, etc.

S!

This is not realistic to the times. You are trying to make it something else. What do you propose?

My parameter's were trying to stay within historic values and the game. 

9 minutes ago, imded said:

Because they were not designed as spotter planes. As for the speed, this is what those planes did in WWII. This is a real plane and made to do scouting. Not as a fighter.Blow are Examples of HISTORIC spotter type aircraft. Although I really don't understand the hostility. I am just trying to expand game play to include different types of action. As for the halo, you still show the name, not this big round thing showing off your location. As for killing it. A slower moving plane will die easier to AAA and small arms. And its engine sound locates it well for ground based units.  It is not this stealthy thing that you imagine. A Spit or 09 would wreck it in one pass. It is very vulnerable.

Henschel%20126B.jpg

fiesler-storch-ww11-german-aircraft-at-a

1252031947_1a8c06daab_b.jpg

Piper_L4.jpg

thats a fieseler storch, its 'AN' example of a recon capable plane, not the only - and certainly wouldn't have been sent out over enemy air space where there was any expectation of contact with the enemy. their primary missions were NOT recon either. medi-vac, forward air control, and liason were its primary duties.

behind the lines recon was the job of un/armed fighters with camera packages and typically bombers configured for specialized high altitude work with multiple cameras instead of bombs.

33 minutes ago, imded said:

This is not realistic to the times. You are trying to make it something else. What do you propose?

My parameter's were trying to stay within historic values and the game. 

I was thinking from the angle of 'least resources required to get it in-game as quickly as possible'. :)   I would guess that taking MGs, etc. off of Spits and 109s (or 110s, whatever), and calculating the performance differences would be easier, and less time-consuming than modeling the Storch, etc, (which, btw, over the long haul I would TOTALLY be in favor of working to add to the game).

Hell, in time I'd be in favor of having the supplies have to be moved by players, via truck convoys, (or at least available as an option).  I would LOVE to see convoys of trucks bringing supplies/weapons to a beleagured town, instead of seeing it done notionally.  Right now, if we want more supplies we have to put a brigade in.  I think we should have the option of putting a brigade in, or manually bringing supplies up for the brigade(s) already engaged.

S!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, imded said:

This is not realistic to the times. (...) My parameter's were trying to stay within historic values and the game. 

Most supplies were moved at night, whether by truck or by train. That's because the supply moving people weren't stupid.

Most of the time, except on full-moon nights that happened to be cloudless, activity on the ground at night was invisible to aircraft observers. That's because of physics and human physiology.

I'm very much opposed to adding game elements just to create targets for air players. 

If something is to be added to the game, it should function in a historically justifiable manner.

3 hours ago, augetout said:

I was thinking from the angle of 'least resources required to get it in-game as quickly as possible'. :)   I would guess that taking MGs, etc. off of Spits and 109s (or 110s, whatever), and calculating the performance differences would be easier, and less time-consuming than modeling the Storch, etc, (which, btw, over the long haul I would TOTALLY be in favor of working to add to the game).

Hell, in time I'd be in favor of having the supplies have to be moved by players, via truck convoys, (or at least available as an option).  I would LOVE to see convoys of trucks bringing supplies/weapons to a beleagured town, instead of seeing it done notionally.  Right now, if we want more supplies we have to put a brigade in.  I think we should have the option of putting a brigade in, or manually bringing supplies up for the brigade(s) already engaged.

S!

Sounds good, but how will that fit with 1.36?

The idea for the trains and trucks are the supply doesn't just magically show up at the front. and for the they only went at nite is not totally true.

I have seen daytime historical movies about strikes. Aircraft strafing the convoy and trains.

As for the you don't want to give planes targets. You would have to fly over a large distance to find the trains and convoys. That's a lot of square miles to cover.

The more the side that moves the map forward, the more area would have to be scouted out.

You know where the train tracks are, and we have a simplistic road system so pretty easy to scout.

Maybe the fact that there is film of day time attacks help explain why movements were switched to night time as much as possible?

S! Ian

20 hours ago, ian77 said:

Sounds good, but how will that fit with 1.36?

That is a question that I do not have an answer to as yet.  It is my understanding that the garrison/town supply is designed to lessen (not eliminate) reliance on having an HC Officer in-game at any given moment.  I also believe that 1.36 is only the beginning of some significant, positive game development efforts that will happen this  year.  Adding visible supplies, if decided upon as a concept, would still take a significant amount of time to implement once the 'how' to do it is decided upon.

I am holding out hope for getting rid of the FBs entirely, and replacing them with PPO FBs placed by HC Officers at the brigade level, and squad COs/Officers at the regimental level.  Moving the FBs away from being in the same place all the time will move a good share of the battle outside of the city, and will end the issue of griefers placing barbed wire where the FB is going to appear, etc.

That, and CRS' efforts to help the squads rebuild and regain a proper level of relevance in-game is still in the discussion stages.  I look forward to seeing how those efforts proceed.

All in all, lots to look forward to.

S!

22 hours ago, jwilly said:

Most supplies were moved at night, whether by truck or by train. That's because the supply moving people weren't stupid.

Most of the time, except on full-moon nights that happened to be cloudless, activity on the ground at night was invisible to aircraft observers. That's because of physics and human physiology.

I'm very much opposed to adding game elements just to create targets for air players. 

If something is to be added to the game, it should function in a historically justifiable manner.

In some cases I think we need to make some concessions to gameplay. The pilots need targets to engage, and I think visible truck convoys, yes some even during the day, would be a nice addition.

The trick is making it so it doesn't totally unbalance the game yet also not make it a worthless endeavor that players won't do it.

2 people like this

shouldn't be hard. you design it such that supply en route can never be reduced below x%. this gives you two abilities to reduce supply

factory bombing = supply timers increase by X

destroying supply convoys enroute = supply arriving at the front can be reduced by Y

will take a bit of tweaking and will vary by population levels but you don't want to give people are reason to not login or unsub. IMO, the RDP timers at present are too high - but - we're at an in game population level where it doesn't really matter/hurt. if we had more people, it would be awful. further, if we had the ability to interdict X% en-route after its produced you can lower the max resupply timer as the interdiction en-route actually hurts a LOT more.

5-15% advantage IMO is what you want to shoot for if one side perfectly executes both RDP and supply interdiction. some may argue 5-15% advanage isn't enough but gamers will do incredible(ly stupid) things to gain tiny advantages and 5-15% map wide or say in a specific area advantage with the right population density is actually devastating. i'd start at shooting for 5% then ramp up till it sucks, then quickly step back a few % till it fits.

1 person likes this

Agree with this. With higher populations you burn through supply very quickly and the current system of 12 hr resupply (not to mention 24 hr resupply) would really hurt.

I like the idea of factories giving bonuses since it simulates efficiency. We know from history that bombing did little to effect German war production ability until very late in the war, things simply became decentralized and this less efficient. So factories speed up your resupply, and taking out convoys slows it down for a sector along the front.

I also agree that it should be capped at about 15-25% for gameplay reasons.

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0