Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dfire

For Those Who Scream Bias...

19 posts in this topic

I'm going to give it to you guys straight up. I play campaigns as both sides. I mainly play axis as you all know. Usually 3 maps axis and 1 allied and then repeat.

After closely monitoring stats page, I always end up with around the same KD ratio and caps no matter what side I play (proportional to time I play). Not just for inf, but for everything really. I'm usually in the top 5 or 10 rifles and smgs for both sides and the top 5 or 10 tankers for both sides (depending how much I play that campaign like I said). I give equal effort no matter which side I play. 

Every time I think allies have it easy, I remember that when I do play as allied for an occasional campaign, it seems like axis has it easy. It's weird how this game does that to people. I just try to remember at the end of the day its just a game. The game has things that needs fixing, but many of us have made good online friends on here and it sucks to see people leave, whether friend or adversary. 

Many people I overhear doing a lot of the complaining usually only play one side permanently. I strongly urge you to play the other side for a campaign. It got rid of a good amount of my negativity when I started doing the 3 axis 1 allied campaign schedule. For example, as axis, I always thought the Char was unstoppable and unfair. When I went allied, I realized the thing so goddamn slow and has no open commander so its like tunnel vision, plus they only get a couple per flag. As axis I thought the stugG was useless since it was without a MG and has limited gun movement. When I went allied, I didn't realize how hard they are to kill frontally with 75mm and below and how good the cannon is. These are just a few things that opened my eyes playing the other side.

It's advantageous too because you learn the limits and vulnerabilities of other sides equipment. For example, try to keep distance from tommy guns, because up close they shred. At distance it can be a bit hard to shoot accurately with the tommy gun.

I just had to get that off my chest since there aren't a lot of players like me that play both so I wanted to give input. 

The game is more balanced than you think (there are a couple things that should be worked out as far as the new historical TOE in MY OPINION, but I am speaking in general).

Edited by dfire
18 people like this

I think you made a great point dfire, even though a lot of us don't play on both sides, I do agree with what you say.

1 person likes this

Excellent post dfire.

It was a pleasure to have you playing Allied this campaign.  You are a great asset to whichever side you play for.  The few times we were able to play together, you were the quintessential example of a "solid" player.  No whining, just working.  The "core" of each side is made up of players like you.

S!

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Capco said:

Excellent post dfire.

It was a pleasure to have you playing Allied this campaign.  You are a great asset to whichever side you play for.  The few times we were able to play together, you were the quintessential example of a "solid" player.  No whining, just working.  The "core" of each side is made up of players like you.

S!

Sounds like he wants you to stay dfire! :) 

Have to agree 100% with the OP, I kill and die just the same whether playing as axis or allied (as my allied alt in case any one is checking stats! :) )

S! ian

Edited by ian77
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, ian77 said:

Sounds like he wants you to stay dfire! :) 

This is the source of a lot of internal conflict for me.  I want the Allies to field better numbers (and I think it's obvious that the Axis want that too at this point), but the best way to do that is to grow the Allied playerbase organically without poaching Axis players.  

When you play one side more than the other, you forge better relationships with that side as a natural consequence of your play time.  It's not fair for the Axis players, who in some cases have years of rapport with their side, to be forced to leave their best friends to make the game more fun for all.  That's not the playerbase's job, that's CRS's job.  

Far too often the players have had to step in and correct the imbalances.  And this isn't a strictly 1-way street historically speaking.  There were times when the Axis were imploding as a side, and the Allies felt it was their duty to switch Axis for a few maps and help reorganize the Axis side (keyword:  HELP; it's the core side players that are the ones that do most of the side rebuilding, not side switchers).  I've been a part of that before as an Allied player, and while it was an extremely rewarding and altruistic experience, side imbalance really isn't something that should be our job to correct in a perfect world.  

I can't in good conscience ask predominantly Axis players to play Allied for the better of the game.  It isn't fair.  The sense of community in each side is too strong for that to be the way forward.  

I'm committed to rebuilding the Allies as a force to be reckoned with.  But that needs to happen on our terms, with our players, and our HC.  

S!

5 people like this

6 minutes ago, Capco said:

I'm committed to rebuilding the Allies as a force to be reckoned with.  But that needs to happen on our terms, with our players, and our HC.  

Hiya Capco. Dude, if I'm on when you are, I'd be happy to help in any role you need. I'm dyed in the wool Allied for all the above reasons. 

1 person likes this

switching sides doesn't work because the other side that you're switching to doesn't need another person toying with their equipment, but a player driving FMS, blowing FBs and guarding depots

and a huge portion of MMO players play for the "social engagement", they play to have fun with their friends online not for some weird notion of charity

the years of both players and CRS demanding that players switch sides have only caused the destruction of several axis squads, and here we are still with the same problem of the allies not having players so I'm not sure why anyone still suggests it

2 hours ago, dfire said:

The game is more balanced than you think (there are a couple things that should be worked out as far as the new historical TOE in MY OPINION, but I am speaking in general).

how many regular Luftwaffe pilots are there now? 

the imbalance is so drastic that it actually helps the axis side, as flying and tanking are not fun so 80-90% of the players that do log on are infantry at times

this has become especially relevant in the two years or so as the number of capturable depots at the AO and DO exceed the allied population

Try teach allies to mark next time you switch.

Axis have a clear edge in this area, while allies embarrass themselves more often than not.

My last tank sortie was with a 38t, inf marked every et from 3km. we were able to take out everything leaving the FB.

Last time I was able to pull it off as allied it was thanks to a axis guy that switched

4 hours ago, david06 said:

switching sides doesn't work because the other side that you're switching to doesn't need another person toying with their equipment, but a player driving FMS, blowing FBs and guarding depots

For a dedicated player, driving FMS, blowing FBs and guarding depots will come natural no matter which side you play, imho. From what I can tell, most vets use intermission - not campaign - to toy around with equipment.

Edited by hillstorm

I've played both sides..... everything you say is accurate.  Axis tanks have at least 50% better situational awareness than french armor tier0 with commander view ..... the axis MG's on tanks are 1000x better for inf suppression...... the french mg's are loose and low velocity.  Axis are tight and high velocity.  Axis tanks are way faster but not as well armored. Axis inf is better overall.  The k98 is superior to both brit and French rifles..... especially the brit one though..... that O ring sight is a nightmare.  The brit smg is better close up.... but the MP40 is better at a distance..... french smg is even to the MP40 in my opinion.  

I honestly don't believe there is any side bais ...... there is only the perception..... and having played both sides really brings that to light...... if you haven't spent at least a campaign using the equipment you probably don't have a realistic understanding of the variables.

12 hours ago, Capco said:

This is the source of a lot of internal conflict for me.  I want the Allies to field better numbers (and I think it's obvious that the Axis want that too at this point), but the best way to do that is to grow the Allied playerbase organically without poaching Axis players.  

When you play one side more than the other, you forge better relationships with that side as a natural consequence of your play time.  It's not fair for the Axis players, who in some cases have years of rapport with their side, to be forced to leave their best friends to make the game more fun for all.  That's not the playerbase's job, that's CRS's job.  

Far too often the players have had to step in and correct the imbalances.  And this isn't a strictly 1-way street historically speaking.  There were times when the Axis were imploding as a side, and the Allies felt it was their duty to switch Axis for a few maps and help reorganize the Axis side (keyword:  HELP; it's the core side players that are the ones that do most of the side rebuilding, not side switchers).  I've been a part of that before as an Allied player, and while it was an extremely rewarding and altruistic experience, side imbalance really isn't something that should be our job to correct in a perfect world.  

I can't in good conscience ask predominantly Axis players to play Allied for the better of the game.  It isn't fair.  The sense of community in each side is too strong for that to be the way forward.  

S!

Great post, and I wish you the very best in your endeavours. We need each other, in order to have a functioning worthwhile game experience.

S! Ian 

Edited by ian77

Nice post played allied for 15 years, now playing Axis.  Both sides have the same rants and same feeling about which side it superior based on equipment.  It is a game and I love this game.

41 minutes ago, enemytank said:

I do not like allied equipment..

sam i am

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, madrebel said:

sam i am

LOL!!

spit my coffee all over the keyboard, thanks for that :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0