Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tyrdaimp

Crew Transfer and revival / module replenishment

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the ability to swap around crew members in your vehicle? For instance, your driver dies, you move your radio operator  / hull gunner to that position.   Gunner dies, your loader or commander takes over.

Second, large towns should have a depot control point where vehicles have the ability to be repaired, rearmed and have crew replenished. 

The town would need to be contested,  and depending on the severity of the damage, time could take 90-120+ seconds. 

Repair/ towing vehicles implemented to repair vehicle driving components such as tracks and wheels, but other driving modules like the engine would either need you to be towed or have reduced power. 

1 hour ago, tyrdaimp said:

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the ability to swap around crew members in your vehicle? For instance, your driver dies, you move your radio operator  / hull gunner to that position.   Gunner dies, your loader or commander takes over.

One reason this is not done is
Realistically, if a tank's hull got breached and a crew member turned to human puree, the next thing that happened was to try and get the crew safely out
of the tank.
You did not know what was maybe going to catch fire or explode, and you also did not have a good feeling about surviving the next shot.
In some cases, you may try to retreat as well, it largely depends on what your options are, but most crews of a compromised tank did not sit and
attempt to remain in the fight, tanks can be repaired or a new one built, crews not so much.

Also, game wise, for scoring purposes, when you kill the gunner, you score the unit killed.
Some tanks have only 2 crewmen, some tanks have 5 people inside, And aside from their jobs actually being somewhat specialized
It does not play out well game wise, to take out an enemy tank, and then it has 4 more chances to go shooting you.

I know other games do have this, but we try to adhere to the more realistic aspect.

Second, large towns should have a depot control point where vehicles have the ability to be repaired, rearmed and have crew replenished. 

The town would need to be contested,  and depending on the severity of the damage, time could take 90-120+ seconds. 

If you can return to the town, contested or not, if you can get into RTB range of the AB
respawning gives the equivalent of repair/rearm/recrew
The time is longer than 90 seconds though.

It would be nice though to roll into a depot or AB garage and reammo though

Repair/ towing vehicles implemented to repair vehicle driving components such as tracks and wheels, but other driving modules like the engine would either need you to be towed or have reduced power. 

The biggest problem with recovery vehicles is, development time consumed weighed against actual use seen.

Figure, if you remain on the battle field, the enemy will continue to hit you until you explode.
So most times the damaged tank will either die or despawn before he gets totally exploded.

It is not safe to try a recovery in the heat of battle, so you can only go out when the battle has died off

And of course people will learn to hang out after the battle to get stat kills by taking out the recovery vehicles.

So you have some real negatives to them.
So you have to look at it as a whole and decide does the overall picture justify the dedicated development time taken from other needs/issues, to create not only the vehicles, but a proper backend that does not instantly reward the vehicles killer with the same exact vehicle simply rolling right back at him 3 minutes later.

Most likely system would be draging the unit back close enough to RTB and having the RTB count as time reduction on the resupply ticket for it
which is a lot of work to create.
Now does that work justify the pulling of people off of other tasks that might better give something back to the players?

Well said. In a world of infinite resources I agree it would be a nice addition there there are a few times I would like to have my vehicle recovered. But there are more pressing concerns.

The way I personally see it working is like how a medic would work. It would turn an Rescue into a RTB and allow the vehicle to be resupplied back 100% faster than a KIA/MIA.

This way you also semi-simulate the time it would take a recovered vehicle to be able to return to the battle. This isn't realistic since in RL it would need to be sent behind the lines or sometimes even back to the factory for a full overhaul.

Off topic, but crew “replacement” and instant damage repair is what kills Warthunder for me; the fact that those two gameplay mechanics are active even in “simulator” battles really brings down the experience and realism.

In short, those kind of gamey machanics don’t have a place in WW2OL. That being said, I’d be all for ARVs and medics as long as they are implemented in a realistic way.  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0