• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
choad

New forum category?

21 posts in this topic

I was thinking, it may be nice to habe a forum for "Recommended Reading" or something of that nature. The thought is people could post reviews or recommendations of books they have read. I go through quite a few ww2 books each year and would be happy to share some good reads with others who are interested in the topic.

Topics like these are welcome in OT

1 person likes this

If anything we need to cut DOWN on the crazy number of forums. A lot of them could be simply merged into a general WWII history forum, a Genersl Gameplay Forum, and a Squad Recruitment forum. But that's just me.

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, aismov said:

If anything we need to cut DOWN on the crazy number of forums. A lot of them could be simply merged into a general WWII history forum, a Genersl Gameplay Forum, and a Squad Recruitment forum. But that's just me.

I kind of agree.  

1 person likes this

I'd suggest two pinned threads at the top of this forum- recommended WWII books and recommended WWII movies. 

Independent of anything else, should generate Google looks.

Would that work? My understanding is that Google searches and archives hits based on outside links to the site. Worth a try though. We could at least get rid of at least 3 forums that way that get new posts in them maybe once every 4 months.

Was just looking at the forums, and honestly I think we could delete a bunch of forums and turn some into pinned topics like Kilemall suggested. It would not only make the forums appear more alive with multiple posts a day (nobody wants to participate in a forum that gets posted in one a monthly basis) and actually make it easier for new players to become part of the community.

I'll @XOOM and @HATCHon this to see what they think.

Delete:

• Free Play Support and Info: redundant, rarely checked by vets, and F2P have access to General Discussion
  • New Player Support/Training: redundant forum which is essentially as as F2P forum and is also never checked by anyone
  • Special Event Forum: 2 posts since October, 2018 (!)
  • WWII Military History and Technology: 3 posts since December, 2018; prior to that the last post was in May
  • Mini-Cons: couple posts in all of 2018
  • War Stories: not used, more players will see your post and reply in General Discussion
  • Squad Recruitment: why is there a general squad recruitment forum, AND an Allied one, AND and Axis one? Either keep Allied/Axis separate, or just collapse them all into a single forum
  • Bug Reporting: merge it as  subforum of Community Support
  • Discord support: can be a pinned top on General Discussion or in Support Page (more ppl will see it in general discussion)
  • The War Academy: useless forum (can just post on axis/allied secure forum). Last post there is from 2014... no joke.
  • 1.36 Hybrid Supply: always assumed this was a temporary forum

Merge/Rename:

• General Discussion + Free Player forum + all the above (minus squad recruitment)
  • Squad Recruitment: just have one squad forum with [AXIS] and [ALLIED] tags (they all have them anyway since we used to have a unified forum).
  • Community Support: keep subforums and add in bug reporting
  • Foreign Speaking Communities: change to "International Forums"
  • Squads: rename to Squad Forums since most people don't know what the "Squads" thing even is, also it has a forum called "Squads" that leads to another forum called
    "Squads" which then leads to the individual squad forums. This is a different URL, so right when you get to the squad forums, you can't navigate back to the regular forums.

So the new forums would look something like this:

• Headquarters (General Gameplay Discussion): merges special event, WWII history, minicon, war stories
    • Headquarters News Feed
    • Gameplay Tutorials
  • Community Support
    • Billing Support
    • Windows Support
    • Apple Support
    • Bug Reporting
  • Squad Forums: renamed from "squads" and moved to a more prominent location
  • Squad Recruitment: move more prominently to help players find squads (now you scroll to the very bottom past a bunch of random unused forums)
  • Barracks
  • Hangar
  • Motor Pool
  • Harbour
  • Off Topic
  • Allied Discussion:
    • Allied Secure
  • Axis Discussion:
    • Axis Secure
  • International Forums: rename this from "Foreign Speaking Communities" ... it has a nicer ring to it. Plus International is something that everyone fundamentally understands. Foreign speaking... not so much.
    • International Subforums (not listing them here)

This way we go from 24 forums to 12. Thoughts?

This is the only truly active forum these days anyway, adding a couple subforums here would probably be the best bet. Never understood the thought process in hiding away the other forums behind a paywall that don't really offer anything further, except maybe more helpful materials for new people.

Edited by gt3076r

I'm sure one argument is that it gives incentive for new players to subscribe to access the forums (and the handful of OT posters who sub just to post in the forums). Think it would be more beneficial to open the forums up for everyone and that way get players to subscribe for the game because of what they read/saw on the forums.

40 minutes ago, aismov said:

I'm sure one argument is that it gives incentive for new players to subscribe to access the forums (and the handful of OT posters who sub just to post in the forums). Think it would be more beneficial to open the forums up for everyone and that way get players to subscribe for the game because of what they read/saw on the forums.

OT has 2,608, 381 more posts than next most active forum. That's at least 2.5 million more than a handful. Currently the fully-subscribed and duly-elected members of The OT Working Committee on Working on OT are looking into expanding OT itself into at least 8 more OT subforums, to wit:

• Trains
  • Concrete Kayaks & Caskets
  • Dogs & Dog-owners
  • Trump, Brexit and AOC
  • Presidents with Beards
  • Godzilla
  • Side-boobs
  • Bacon

Further, we are currently in closed-door hearings with CRS to negotiate an easing of the Rule 23 Sanctions and possible creation of  1 cent (yearly) DLC of limited OT topic access, plus a FTP (Free To Post) promotion for OT newbs. We're as well conducting an in-house audit of explosive threads, thread length, and typing-speed balance. We also have our own crypto-currency (OT$) and false passport and ID service. The OT Treasury Department is right now mounting a hostile takeover bid for the improperly spelt 'The Harbour' using our surplus OT$. 

You're welcome. 

Addendum to the above

Bacon shall be further divided into two sub forums

| American
Bacon --|
              | British

Also Side Boobs will instead be

|Animated
Boobs--|Bottom
             |Side
             |Frontal

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

Addendum to the above

Bacon shall be further divided into two sub forums

| American
Bacon --|
              | British

Also Side Boobs will instead be

|Animated
Boobs--|Bottom
             |Side
             |Frontal

Thanks for this clarification Merlin. One further addendum to the addenda above: 

| American
Bacon --| Canadian
              | British

I did not add canadian due to it's similarity with british aside from the smoking.
but yes perhaps.
I am not sure why the US chose to use the left over fat from the pork belly, guess maybe as a way to use what might be otherwise thrown out or something? But it must definitely be separate in category since it has 0 in common with canadian or british aside from being pork (Except when it is turkey)

1 person likes this

Yummmm, bacon.

I had BLTs for lunch today. Most excellent.

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

Yummmm, bacon.

I had BLTs for lunch today. Most excellent.

Excellent. We should submit this suggestion to Merlin to get an optional 'BLT' sub-subforum to the new Bacon subforum. Unless the Committee reopens the hearings into a possible 'OT Diet' subforum in which case BLT might cross-over as part of that. 

You might remember that previously BLT's were rejected as part of the proposed 'OT Breakfast Club' subforum concept to avoid potential conflicts with TGTCWTF and Kilemall's OT Angels.

Related image

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting in OT :)

1 person likes this

On 3/6/2019 at 5:28 PM, aismov said:

Highly doubt many if any are being incentivised to subscribe just to have access to further game forums and certainly if that's the case they will be disappointed to see that this forum here is the most active (on topic) currently. 

I do think it would be beneficial to move a lot of the stickied guides built over the years out of the paywall forums and into this one. More visibility of learning material always helps!

On 3/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, gt3076r said:

I do think it would be beneficial to move a lot of the stickied guides built over the years out of the paywall forums and into this one. More visibility of learning material always helps!

+10/  there are guides and collections of guides on wiki, bazso's old site, parasit's guides and scattered throughout these forums  etc but, unlike most other games,  no comprehensive one-topic fits all  'Game Guides & Tips' (or whatever) here. 

BUT there is quite a good collection of stuff including YouTube clips under 'Guides & Tutorials' at Steam. Perhaps it could be/should be replicated here. 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/251950/discussions/0/1840188800796325915/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0