Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shiloh17

Overhaul possibilities.

7 posts in this topic

Is it in the works ever to overhaul some things within the game?

My ideas would be:

Sound overhaul.

Everything that makes noise should have its own unique sound, but in this game they are shared a lot.  Many aircraft seem to share sounds and as a AA gunner until the circle shows up I must keep an eye out for who it belongs to before focusing my attention elsewhere. (As an example)

Along with a sound overhaul would be the actual level of noise some things create. Were all the Lafflys, Beddys, and Opels really that noisy? Just asking.

Infantry footsteps could use and overhaul too. In the new AB infantry spawns you can stand in place and do a 360 and make no noise. In other buildings which are the ones I would like to be silent in, such as the building I am shooting from, CP's, depots etc.. If I stand in place and turn left or right, it creates a footstep sound which sends an EI in your direction, should he be watching his map as to whether a friendly is in the area.  Basically put, allow me to turn in place without creating a "footstep"

Also If I am crouching and walking (assuming that is sneaking) It creates the same noisy footsteps when walking over paved or cobblestone roads. This alerts EI in CP's next to a road that I must cross. In real life, If I thought an enemy was in there, I would be as quite as possible when approaching him. The main footprint that needs the overhaul is the paved road / cobblestone one. The rest are tolerable. Crouch and walk needs to be really silent.

Graphics overhaul on some things.

The trees are a good example: Years ago you overhauled the trees and they look great.

Any future plans in the works to update the basic ground textures?  I'm not talking shrubs, plants, the new corn rows etc.. just the basic ground textures. I think that is worth experimenting with, as some game have increased performance by doing so, and I really haven't noticed a texture change or modification ever.

And lastly within this graphics part: Would it be possible to have leaves on trees and shrubs sway gently in the wins when it is blowing? It would give infantry better cover when trying to get to a destination.

Clouds. It seems we either have clear days or rainy days. A variance in weather would be nice.

Field of vision / zoom

When I have a rifle sighted in, or the gunfight view of an aircraft, or my AA  gun sight up, that is 100% zoom. When I am an infantry walking along, a lot of times I get killed by things I cannot see until after I am dead because my zoom is lesser than 100%, and the killer has 100% or better as in the case of tank gun sights. I get a better zoom by raising my rifle to my eye, and in real life that is not the way it is. I am simply looking down my rifle scope. I realize we cannot run around in 100% zoom or we would not have a great field of view. This is something that could be improved upon in  my opinion. I am assuming those are 100% zoom views anyway. But if it is greater, maybe modify it to 100%

I know some things probably haven't changed due to past performance issues, but this is 2019 now and most probably don't have those 2003 computers anymore.Anyway, thank you for listening, and you might be able to find volunteers for things such as this as well as sound files being obtained by members.

CRS is always looking for volunteers to speed up the process.

If you know of anyone let them know...

50 minutes ago, shiloh17 said:

Is it in the works ever to overhaul some things within the game?

My ideas would be:

Sound overhaul.

Everything that makes noise should have its own unique sound, but in this game they are shared a lot.  Many aircraft seem to share sounds and as a AA gunner until the circle shows up I must keep an eye out for who it belongs to before focusing my attention elsewhere. (As an example)

Along with a sound overhaul would be the actual level of noise some things create. Were all the Lafflys, Beddys, and Opels really that noisy? Just asking.

Infantry footsteps could use and overhaul too. In the new AB infantry spawns you can stand in place and do a 360 and make no noise. In other buildings which are the ones I would like to be silent in, such as the building I am shooting from, CP's, depots etc.. If I stand in place and turn left or right, it creates a footstep sound which sends an EI in your direction, should he be watching his map as to whether a friendly is in the area.  Basically put, allow me to turn in place without creating a "footstep"

Also If I am crouching and walking (assuming that is sneaking) It creates the same noisy footsteps when walking over paved or cobblestone roads. This alerts EI in CP's next to a road that I must cross. In real life, If I thought an enemy was in there, I would be as quite as possible when approaching him. The main footprint that needs the overhaul is the paved road / cobblestone one. The rest are tolerable. Crouch and walk needs to be really silent.

Graphics overhaul on some things.

The trees are a good example: Years ago you overhauled the trees and they look great.

Any future plans in the works to update the basic ground textures?  I'm not talking shrubs, plants, the new corn rows etc.. just the basic ground textures. I think that is worth experimenting with, as some game have increased performance by doing so, and I really haven't noticed a texture change or modification ever.

And lastly within this graphics part: Would it be possible to have leaves on trees and shrubs sway gently in the wins when it is blowing? It would give infantry better cover when trying to get to a destination.

Clouds. It seems we either have clear days or rainy days. A variance in weather would be nice.

Field of vision / zoom

When I have a rifle sighted in, or the gunfight view of an aircraft, or my AA  gun sight up, that is 100% zoom. When I am an infantry walking along, a lot of times I get killed by things I cannot see until after I am dead because my zoom is lesser than 100%, and the killer has 100% or better as in the case of tank gun sights. I get a better zoom by raising my rifle to my eye, and in real life that is not the way it is. I am simply looking down my rifle scope. I realize we cannot run around in 100% zoom or we would not have a great field of view. This is something that could be improved upon in  my opinion. I am assuming those are 100% zoom views anyway. But if it is greater, maybe modify it to 100%

I know some things probably haven't changed due to past performance issues, but this is 2019 now and most probably don't have those 2003 computers anymore.Anyway, thank you for listening, and you might be able to find volunteers for things such as this as well as sound files being obtained by members.

T key should allow you to move quieter. Default w key movement is jog, hitting t slows you to a walk and makes you quieter in movement.

Ground textures, given time and talent to do so it's definitely something we'd like to explore.

We had leaf/branch movement when speedtree was 1st added years ago. It was turned off due, I assume, to some issue it caused ingame. I'm hopeful (and have been lobbying) that after 1.36 and some other coder heavy tasks that we will get to go digging into why it was turned off and if we can get it back. Definitely one of my wishlist items.

Clouds/weather..... Preaching to the choir :) No idea if or when as I honestly can't say what would be involved.

Agree with the ground textures especially, it is a very quick fix that would make a huge impact on perceptions of graphical quality. Making the berms look less jagged as well.

59 minutes ago, shiloh17 said:

Crouch and walk needs to be really silent.

In 3rd person, if you are at walking speed or slow crouch, i think it is quiet
Just not in 1st person, you still hear yourself.

1 hour ago, shiloh17 said:

Any future plans in the works to update the basic ground textures? 

Yes eventually those will get changed, just not a fast or easy task, as the textures have to repeat seamlessly over very large areas, and they have to do so in all 4 possible rotations and there are quite a number of textures that pertain to the ground or parts of the ground, and for it not to look very strange or bad all have to be updated and go in together.
Believe it or not, it is quite a bit of work to look right, but when we are able to do that and it does look right, i foresee a lot of people flying planes
around just to simply look around.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0