pfmosquito

Change DIrectory for Screenshots

11 posts in this topic

My screenshot directory is getting quite large... the size is about 4gb.  I'd rather not have that on my main drive.  However, I don't see a way to change the directory that screenshots get saved to.  I have some external drives that would be perfect for them.  And no, I don't want to delete them.

I thought a decent work around would be to move the existing files to the external drive.  However, then the 'counter' starts over.  That would mean I would have a second Sshot1, a second Sshot2, and so on.  That's just a recipe for trouble.  But when I tried to 'trick' the counter, by trying to force it to add on to the last one, while having all the other ones gone, the program just filled in the gaps, and again gave me files that would have a duplicate name elsewhere on my system.

I think being able to change the directory that screenshots are saved to would be nice.  Not a priority one project, I suppose, but then I figured it should be easy enough to change the settings file so that you could set your own directory... 

Anyone have a solution, barring that? 

Yes

Irfanview is a free image app that among other things can batch convert an image from say space hogging BMP to smll PNG or JPG
and it can batch convert a whole folder of images, and delete the original afterwards

I occasionally run it on my screenshots folder also, since bitmaps take a lot of space

you can make a symbolic link, but i'd probably not recommend that as you'd need your cfml files and everything on the 2nd drive just to play normal

5 hours ago, pfmosquito said:

I think being able to change the directory that screenshots are saved to would be nice.  Not a priority one project, I suppose, but then I figured it should be easy enough to change the settings file so that you could set your own directory... 

Anyone have a solution, barring that? 

I haven't seen any place to modify the screenshot directory but as a work-around, you could create a symbolic link in your 'My Documents' to a folder on another drive. Move the 'Battleground Europe' folder to, say, 'D:\Battleground Europe'

Run cmd prompt as administrator and do the following commands:

cd C:\Users\pfmosquito\Documents
mklink /d "Battleground Europe" "D:\Battleground Europe"

I'm on WIndows 7, so the location of your 'My Documents' may be different to 'C:\Users\pfmosquito\Documents'

Seems that files other than the images would be impacted if I used the sym links, with unpredictable behavior.  Otherwise, I think that would be more than sufficient for what I'm going for. 

The problem with batch converting and then deleting the bitmaps is that it seems the game will create new bitmaps to fill in the blanks between spaces, starting from the beginning.   So, if I have SShot1 and Sshot 3, the next file is going to be Sshot2.  Or, if I have SShot2 and Sshot3, the next file will be Sshot1.  If I do anything, the result is going to be a bunch of files with the same name, distinguished only by the date which it was made.  That's 750 potential duplicates!  And in 5 years, perhaps, I have the same problem.

Maybe what I need to do is to do the batch conversion but also look for a program that will rename them, too.  Eg, Sshot1 becomes Old_Screenshot(N), where N is the corresponding bitmap number.  Then I delete all the bitmaps.  The game starts over at SShot1.  But, at least the names are much more easily to distinguish.  Merlin, does your recommended program do that?

I used to have game screenshots back to the beginning of the game, but I accidentally deleted most of them, thinking they were duplicates.  I want to make it harder for me to do something like that again!

Thanks for the input.

On my Mac I don’t use the screenshot system built into the game, I use the OS screenshot system. Not sure if you could do that in windows or not and have the ability to push the images elsewhere.

That's not an option for me because I use multiple monitors.  An OS screenshot grabs an image of all of the monitors at the same time.  I suppose I've never investigated whether or not I have an option to make it only grab the primary.

not explicitly true mosquito.

windows: alt-shift-prntscreen captures the active window only.

mac: command-shift-3 captures just the screen you're on ... i think. may be wrong on this. i'll check in a minute when im on my multi monitor mac.

infanview would rename them, sequentially also, it will even remember the last sequence and continue incrementing from where it last left off

4 hours ago, madrebel said:

windows: alt-shift-prntscreen captures the active window only.

it also only captures to buffer, not to disk
you have to go and paste it someplace

I'm happy when I can find the screenshots,  I know it's somewhere but not in the CRS folder that I always find.