Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piska250

Outskirts Depots

12 posts in this topic

Present system is all about Abs, Cps, and Fbs. CRS has recently developed again the possibility of developing new terrain and links.

Proposal:

Adding a new “Facility” called Outskirts Depot (OD) following this scheme.

18iwbq.jpg

Rules:

• Will have its own garrison associated to the town. Could be like a CP but with smaller quantities of pool.

• No need to cap them to Cap the City

• Capping one of them do not trigger the Ab bunker radio hot countdown.

So, what for?

• strategic layer: Capping it denies the defender the chance to move a brigade in or out the town that way.  Outskirts Depots are Easier to cap and hold than inside Cps

2zgge9s.jpg

In this example, defenders have a Brigade at B. Attackers may choose to cap OD1 so to prevent defenders moving Brig to B from A.

• Capping all ODs provides the idea of the town fully sourrounded so there will be no Pool recovery at Target. Provides with attrition strategic.

• New target ideal for paras and battle outside town (tanks, etc)

• ODs, If capped, they could be spaneable for attackers, thus providing with new approaching vectors to AO. You could spawn just inf, light Ats, Aas and Trucks. More places from which try to set a Ms. Acting like small Fbs. That implies a more consistent Attack.

9ad7xc.jpg

OD1 becomes spaneable if capped.

OD2 and OD3 become spaneable only if Od1 is capped

OD4 becomes spaneable only if either OD2 or OD3 are spaneable.

Rats could use Farms buildings, small bunkers or even PPos to build this ODs. I'd place them at strategic places like crossroads, hill, close to buildings etc

The thing is that you don't need to cap them to hold an usual attack, but capping and holding them may come quite useful.

Any ideas?

2 people like this

At first read, this is one of the most interesting ideas I’ve seen regarding “outside CPs” and how they could relate to the campaign. In particular, I like how controlling the area around a town would effect the movement of brigades in and out. It would also create more of a frontline. 

If this is possible, I’d say we should try it. 1.36 doesn’t change anything regarding this because there will still be moble flags. 

Stuff like this should have been tried before venturing into 1.36 territory, but here we are.  

Anyway, I like the idea.  But I think it would take a LONG time to get something like this done even if the coding was relatively simple, since @Merlin51 would have to manually add a couple thousand new CPs.  

Probably not worth exploring due to the fact 1.36 brings back town supply and a limited number of mobile flags to work with.

I like the idea of them and I think it's worth exploring even with 1.36. It could be theoretically combined with enabling FMS placement. Need to cap the OD to open up FMS spawning so you can actually have real front lines. I also like how it has nothing to do with bunker timers since that would be a huge headache.

1 person likes this

I'd say yes to general idea. Would like to see player placed if possible, for variety and surprise, and more of a dug in, front line position rather than depot - a guarding the approaches sort of thing (think trenches) - again for variety, and seems more apt for forward position.

And test ground for new cap rules. Approach en mass and spawning shuts down, then clear area sort of thing.

And medium atgs.

Don't need to make thousands to test! Not all towns have FBs, not all towns have AFs, and if player placed, players could place, not the magician. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, blggles said:

I'd say yes to general idea. Would like to see player placed if possible, for variety and surprise, and more of a dug in, front line position rather than depot - a guarding the approaches sort of thing (think trenches) - again for variety, and seems more apt for forward position.

And test ground for new cap rules. Approach en mass and spawning shuts down, then clear area sort of thing.

And medium atgs.

Don't need to make thousands to test! Not all towns have FBs, not all towns have AFs, and if player placed, players could place, not the magician. 

That is a nice approach.

What if, instead of the proposed ODepots, there would be a kind of miniFb PPO that placed and hold close enough from a road would "close" the road?

If a road is closed ->. No brigade movement through it (there will be still brigades at 1.36)

If all roads are closed, the AO will not recover pool.

This would enable the ability of encircling an AO -> Attrition

Edited by piska250

Defensive PPOFBs hold roads open, offensive close them down. I am thinking a secondary road network might be appropriate here. If you take and control the road behind a town maybe you can cut it off and bypass it via the surrounding OD/PPOFBs.

At one point in time the plan was to have secondary roads and make off-road terrain generally impassable to all but tracked vehicles, but that would be something more for WWIIOL 2.0. But I agree have the OD be player place able is a nice idea.

I wish our terrain was modelled realistically for on and off road movement. Can’t wait for 2.0

3 minutes ago, raptor34 said:

I wish our terrain was modelled realistically for on and off road movement. Can’t wait for 2.0

In which aspects?
Our terrain has physics capabilities, including making some kinds nearly impassable for various reasons.
But before we could look at making those physics be of a more realistic nature, all of the vehicles have to go through
complete audits for things like proper gear ratios weight torque traction etc.

Kind of a big task, cause you have to do them all, and cant send them out the door until they are all done, or you will get strange imbalances in whose vehicle can do what
when it should or should not

But if you monkey with the terrain first, what you will get is suddenly 1 vehicle can not cross a thing well (that it should not)
and another vehicle just plows right through it (when it should not) and a wheeled truck passing a tank in a place the truck should barely be able to move.

I have played with the terrain physics to see what they are capable of and such, but the outcome is very uneven due to vehicles not being uniformly correct

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0