Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
downtown

Suggestion of PPOs

13 posts in this topic

Infantry Fighting Position.

Slightly taller than a standing infantry.

five sided with firing slits on four sides.

Has "brush" around it.

firing slts should be height of kneeling infantry.

There is a "Step" in the center that Infantry could stand on and fire from the top.

LMG should be able to deploy at the top and in the slits.

Open at the top.

QCXbJeG.jpg

wBV3MWN.jpg Cut-away of the Infantry Fighting Position.

Logs at the top to rest rifles on, sand-bag in the interior to set upon (kneeling) and sand-bags to rest rifle on (like prone) or deploy LMG, firing slits to fire through.  Open at the back.  I guess there could be the option to cover the top with Camouflage netting, but I think the enemy should be able to fire mortar rounds or throw grenades into these.  The Green Mound in the middle simulates the firing step which you could stand upon to fire over the top. 

Edited by downtown

Tell me how to make the image posting work, because I tried about 35 times

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/8XIjz3O"><a href="//imgur.com/8XIjz3O"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<---That's from Imgur

https://imgur.com/a/8XIjz3O

HPUa2dT.jpg 

This is a Tank Fighting position, essentially the existing gun pits we have now.

Dirt and shrubbery all around, open on the top, I don't know, it would have to be large enough to fit the tiger, but I don't think low enough for the Vickers?   Consideration may have to be given to hull sizes something more generic to british tanks, american tanks. The R-35 and H-39 are low, the B1-Bis has a Hull Gun.  The Pz3 Frames are all about the same but maybe a "V" front for STUGs?  Maybe an Option of the type of Armor Fighting Vehicle Position you want to build, because I think these would be handy for SPAA and AAA guns as well.

These would also work for mortars.

So now I just copied the image from Imgur and it pasted right in?

Edited by downtown

I like it. It should also have the camo netting like the new-old AB bunkers so EI don't stick out like a silhouetted sore thumb turning it into a death trap.

NdsbQte.jpg

Concertina wire, I'd make this the same width at the "Boxed" barbed wire PPOs you have now, height should be above the knees and below the waste.   It would be cool if you had these which say had a number of coils (say 25) and you could stretch them a certain distance (say  max 15 meters?)  you could adjust them from a starting point to a determined point but you couldn't go beyond that point.  So you could stretch them out five meters, 10 meters, or 15 meters.  These would slow vehicles (flatten tires?) and infantry, but tanks should ignore them.   May be worth it to add a leather or canvas sheet to engineers for getting over barbed wire!

Edited by downtown

29 minutes ago, aismov said:

I like it. It should also have the camo netting like the new-old AB bunkers so EI don't stick out like a silhouetted sore thumb turning it into a death trap.

The infantry fighting position?  I don't think it should be invulnerable and I thought people should be able to throw grenades/drop mortar rounds into the top of them.  Perhaps a leeway with Camo Netting at the entry?  I have nothing against anyone gussying these things up.  These are the basic ideas and yes I know they are not "DOD Approved" I didn't account from them to slant downward so you can kick grenades into a can and they would be covered to protect you from shelling (we don't have to worry  about artillery :()

The Idea being that these would "blend in" to the terrain, hopefully the shrubbery would help conceal people.  If you set one out in the open, then well...you're asking to be a target trap.

Edited by downtown

Tripwires/Rattle Traps/Bell Traps/Explosives?

I would like simple traps, you know a wire across a path that rings a bell?   I would LOVE to be able to have something where I could leave an explosive charge in a Road that would be triggered by a wire.  It's a PPO and say I have the wire in the road and 10 meter from the wire is a satchel that detonates 1 seconds after the wire is broken?  Maybe makes these are "HEAT" which would Track a tank" or HE which would kill a truck or knock it off the road.  I'm facing the town and the charge is just right of facing the town in the road.  (depending on where I set the wire.)

Others would be the simple "Bell Trap"  we don't have doors so I can't set a couple of beer cans on the door knob.  how about a wire with four tin cans I can put at just below knee height to a Doorway?  The there are two cans (one on top of the other on either side of the door) when someone comes through the door they knock the cans over and there is a "clattering noise"  also "Bouncing Betty's"  or Grenades (Pin is pulled/spoon is released when the wire is disturbed/ .5 second fuse) could be done in this fashion.

8a8p0Sv.jpg There is a Clever doormat to welcome visitors and help conceal the wire.

This is part of my thinking of expanding the roles of engineers and giving more Engineers per Unit (perhaps as I have suggested engineering brigades.)

Again, redo your new bunkers with sections which can be blown out with satchels.

Maybe you add a "Demolition" Engineering class or "EOD" class that can make the traps.

The ENGINEER Class that sets these should be able to disable them (maybe if they disable them they get to "rearm" and can carry extra of the ones they disarmed?  So if I'm an engineer and I find a tripwire on the road and I disable it I get to carry it like someone over supplied me with a trap.

Edited by downtown

Fortified LMG Fighting position...

this is a LMG position with the curved sandbags and an ammo cache, a little earth in front of it, also the LMG is allowed more swivel/rotation than they are when currently deployed  in game.  Not a 180 degree arc but maybe a 120?   Also give these a "Head board"  so the LMG is firing through a slit.

guQHOxs.jpg Maybe put Camouflage netting over these to help conceal from the air? 

USgUilg.jpg Here is a revision with Camouflage netting over it.

This makes it harder to see from the air, but doesn't stop bullets, bombs, grenades, mortar rounds.

lpscnaE.jpg side view of Heavy LMG Fighting Position.

Edited by downtown

Like all of these. My one thing is that LMG deployment needs to be adjusted so you don't stick out of the open ending by 1m showing everyone where you are.

Oh and some type of suppression effects.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, aismov said:

Like all of these. My one thing is that LMG deployment needs to be adjusted so you don't stick out of the open ending by 1m showing everyone where you are.

Oh and some type of suppression effects.

My thinking was that the Fortified Heavy LMG Position would be near towns and Forward Bases that you own.  You couldn't put them near where you are attacking.  The model would  would be like the curved sand bags, and you would be crouched with the LMG deployed.  But maybe you could deploy  Standing and deploy the LMG on the Head Post/Board and use it as Anti-Air as well?    I set some sandbags on the backside, as well as the ammo cache.   With some dirt, debris, and shrubbery they may be slightly concealed?  But with the infantry fighting position I already posted about, I'm thinking that is more of a near the Forward Edge of Battle - Near a FMS type object, while the Fortified LMG Position would be closer to the towns or forward bases that you own.

If you think about it, with any of these I've put out, with an FMS near, Fox-Holes/Rilfe Pits near, Tank Fighting Positions, Gun Pits, Infantry Fighting Positions, Barbed wire, some "bell traps" and sand bags you could do quite a bit of damage.

But I don't think we have the engineering force in game right now to do it, a couple of engineers per brigade and the delays to build PPOs and how quickly they disappear and how easily they are destroyed :(

Edited by downtown

Here is an example of a Field Mobile Spawn (FMS) and an engineer sets up some Infantry Fighting Positions (IFP), Anti-Tank-Gun Pits, and Fox Holes (rifle Pits) around it.    This would be a fairly well defended position, put a tank or two with it and it's even more of a Field Fortification, then Sand-bags, barbed wire, ammo-caches...  that's something that is not easily camped and can be fought over.

Think of the Open top tank emplacement with AAA Guns in them....  or TANKS! added to this mix.

80uw54U.jpg

Edited by downtown

I don't see the lmg one working till the problem with the deployment point of view is solved But, the tank or AA one would be a great implementation.

HPUa2dT.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 8:21 AM, piska250 said:

I don't see the lmg one working till the problem with the deployment point of view is solved But, the tank or AA one would be a great implementation.

Even with that fixed we would still need suppression effects modeled in order to make the fixed emplacement worthwhile.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0