Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piska250

Military Grade PPO or CP

8 posts in this topic

Hi!

There is one thing I really miss in this game and that is more military grade buildings.

I began a design on my own but gave up because of lack of time. Anyway I'd like to share here a few ideas now that there are several topics about getting rid of Fbs or implementing more PPOs.

The design consist of an elevated area with sand walls, pits for Aas or Ats and a bunker with a trench around. The bunker shown is been modelled from pics of real german wwII bunker.

I had in mind an AT bunker variant.

ok7dvt.jpg

The fact that is above ground provides with:

1. better field of view above lines of bushes.

2. solves the trench thing (you can't not go below ground now with present terrain).

3. makes it impossible to camp from outside.

rvesmv.jpg

The only access to the PPO area is by a ramp behind:

1. the access ramp can be blocked by defenders by using already existing PPOs, like barbed wire, sand bags, etc

2. The ramp should be big enough to allow a truck to get in so to place a FMS inside.

20svl9l.jpg

Use of this design:

1. As a PPO. With new constraints like:

- bigger times for deployment

- Deployed by a combination of truck + engineer or truck + Ml, or ML + engineer

- To be deployed, Increased minimum distance to enemy facilities than FMS

2. Not a PPO but implemented in the world. I Would place it protecting a bridge, the main entrance of Abs, Crossroads, RR bridge, etc. The bunker would have open doors and whoever gets to it can use it.

3. CP.

This variant of CP would have CLOSED bunker doors and a pool of, lets say couple of lmgs and 8 to 10 rifles, maybe one sniper. You spawn in it and you can not leave bunker but if the bunker is well placed, you don't need to, you are just covering a specific area, bridge, AB, thats the point. Nowadays there is No place in the game where you can be with your back fully covered. 

Two variants:

3.1 Bunker door can't be broken. Can't be capped. To disable you need to kill all defenders, smoke it.....

3.2 Bunker door can be blown by engineer.

in the end, I miss the kind of Normandy landing feeling when assaulting or facing one of those ahead.

Ideas, suggestions, opinions?

Edited by piska250
7 people like this

Well they could modify these and drop them along where the Maginot line was as Permanent Fortifications (Man's Monuments to Stupidity).

You need to be able to place Ammo Caches at them as well (I hate the restrictions on where you can put ammo caches)

You need to be able to put some firing slits or crosses in your wall or have a step for infantry to step up to fire over the wall.

Since we don't have artillery (and I know that the U.S. used the Self Propelled 155MM Howitzer for a "Door Knocker" against German Bunkers at the Siegfried Line, I think HE from AT Guns/Tanks should be able to take down the doors as well as ENGs/Sappers.

I'd like to see heavy mortars introduced (which could go in the tank pits I've put in my PPO thread) and they could also be used to pummel these!

Edited by downtown

I think this is a very good idea in principle and I support it.

My only concern is that as a PPO a gigantic concrete bunker appear in the middle of nowhere seems pretty immersion breaking to me. One thing I really like that CRS did way back when was make the bunkers more realistic feeling. So that you didn't have gigantic concrete monstrosities inside a tiny French hamlet that look completely out of place, but something more realistic like the current "fortified chateau" and the large AB bunker "farmhouse" building. I would keep what you have but make it out of dirt, rocks, sandbags, and logs. That way it would look more believable as a field fortification.

EDIT: and for the love of all that is holy, we really need to lower the height of the bushlines so that ATGs can fire more than 50m because they can't see anything. I would be for turning many of the bushlines into the low white stone walls and obstacles like that... something that you can hide behind but allows ATGs and tanks to actually engage each other at range.

Vietnam 1940-1945 really needs to be taken out behind the barn and put down. I'll do an @XOOMand @HATCHon this one to what he thinks about lowering the bush line height and changing parts of the current bushlines into low stone walls.

Edited by aismov

4 hours ago, aismov said:

I think this is a very good idea in principle and I support it.

My only concern is that as a PPO a gigantic concrete bunker appear in the middle of nowhere seems pretty immersion breaking to me.

@XOOM

I agree.

I began doing this before PPOs were developed or old bunkers back in game.

As I mentioned, I was, and still I am missing, more war atmosphere.

It's original porpoise was to be placed protecting critical places.

Also the design idea in which the FMS can be deployed in a safer place, not easily camped, and with better line of sight (bush thing) to create a ZOC.

As you said, if it was to be a PPO, changing the concrete with sand bags or wood would make it.

Thank you.

Edited by piska250

great design and thinking. as long as CRS is able to add PPOs to game as it has - your idea or variants of the idea of a PPO Bunker + FMS would be great. 

Players in game now build giant/complex 'forts'  and even full 'walls' around towns out of the available PPOs - especially the small atg/bunker entrenchment that is exactly like the FMS without the flag or firing slits. Some spend hours doing this and enjoy it, especially fortifying/blockading around an already placed FMS.  Your design of bunker with fms would simply be an extension of what happens, be more realistic or 'immersive' in terms of WW2 and even if it took 10/15/20 minutes to 'build' with a truck and x engineers - why not? Players try to accomplish this already with what is available in game now. 

Your design or idea could also lead to player built FBs.

Cheers. Great work. And as someone pointed out in some thread somewhere - there are (and were) players in the game who are as much 'builders' (or truckers/fms ppl) as 'soldiers'.  Lets have more cool stuff to build! 

Edited by sorella

Maybe only be able to build stuff like that within a set min distance from town. Like 150 meters but not farther away then that.

Very cool. Would enjoy to have these added to game. Maybe once they finish 1,36 finally.. 

Right now the priority has been set on the large urban blocks. But Maybe you can convince hatch and Xoom to put priority on smaller buildings and add new ones like these.

I wish that some of the concrete pillboxes or of such fortifications would host civilian flags as well. Just to simulate area control. 

We could also drop the bunkers outside town to secure parts of the fields. These could offer nice battles anytime and not only at final town rushes IMO

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0