Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blggles

Leave Defensive FMS' Up

3 posts in this topic

Don't know if this could be done easily, but would be interesting to try.

Was in game and made a defensive position in a town without an AO. Went back an hour later and everything was still there, very nice to see. Obviously the PPO lifespan has been increased. Would be able to quickly truck an FMS out there, in case of attack, and have the defensive position all ready to go. Usually you're in for it if you try and lay down extensive fortifications while under attack. Death by squatting.

Would be interesting to see what would happen in game if the FMS' stayed up as well. Trucking out to such a setup to put the cherry on top of the sundae is easily thwarted by a single rifleman. If the FMS was still there, a player could hop in right off the bat. People often say they desire more countryside fighting, or cappable bridges, or crossroads etc. so this might provide a welcome change, just have to keep the FMS' well away from FB locations, maybe 1500 - 2000m. With defensive positions already afield, you'd have to approach a town more cautiously, and with combined arms.

What I'd envision technically is something like each town gets a limited number of defensive FMS', and they stay up for a certain amount of time, a few hours or whatever. Their location is stored with the city data, and if not in use, they show up on the map when you make a mission from that town. Click on the map icon and they are your mission's FMS.

Seemed a good idea for getting the most out of PPO fortifications, and that using current tech as much as possible might make it a less resource intensive way to expand and vary the fight.

My own personal hope is that in the future the spawn system would be nothing more than a map with available spawn points, you click on one, select unit, and spawn in. Naturally persistent mobile spawn points would be a great addition to this system. However, a lot of coding changes would have to be done to rework the entire spawn system because it is currently based on the principle of an active mission being placed.

I personally think that the whole active mission thing is a useless middle man between wanting to get in game and physically spawning at a location, but having been here since 2000, I know they reasons and design rationale why it was done this way originally. Just no sure how feasible coding wise it would be.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean leave the FMS up as a spawn, rather as an object/potential spawn. Following is what I mean.

How things are now:

Player makes mission with an FMS and puts up a few fortifications around it. Player, the only one on the mission, goes elsewhere. FMS is gone both as spawn and object. However, fortifications are STOs that remain in game, with info - type, loc, and orientation - sent to anyone who enters the area. They remain up for however long they do.

What I suggest:

When builder leaves his mission, while FMS is no longer a spawn, it remains ingame along with the fortifications as a mere object, an STO. Player later returns to town to defend, and makes a mission. When he reenters the area, info on the local STOs is sent to his comp, among which is the old FMS object. Now when player looks at his map, his comp parses the objects for type and puts a spawn mark at any unused FMS objects (blue for friendly). He can then select one to incorporate into his mission and it again becomes an active spawn. Since loc and orientation of the FMS are known, one would presume spawnpoint would be easy to figure. Then player can quickly respawn at his defensive position.

As you see, it is still mission based spawning, and perhaps relatively low resource to code, using mostly systems already written. 

Edited by blggles

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0