XOOM

Default "Chat" Channels Revision

30 posts in this topic

In the near future we'll be updating our default chat channels to include the following:

• F1: Mission
  • F2: Target
  • F3: Origin
  • F4: Squad
  • F5: Operations
  • F6: Help

The big change comes from resetting F3 from side to origin. We want users who spawn from the same town to work together, hence "origin" chat. 

Operations will therefore become the Global "Operations / Organization" channel. It will be very focused and High Command officers and veterans should have it tuned to work together and share mission invitations, battle planning and other operationally important information.  CRS will be working hard to make sure the new users understand what this channel is and how it is valuable to them. It will therefore become the new staple of operational organization for your side globally.

What will happen to Side channel?

Side channel, will still be available for you to tune should you choose. But do note, that upon deployment of this update, everyone's default channel listing will look like the above. It will override your current selection to make sure we properly reset the standard globally. Again, you can easily modify your channel selection as you see fit.

Side channel will continue to be somewhat of an undefined "General Discussion" channel where users discuss a variety of topics. 

This is part of an effort to keep comms centralized and focused on the best game play and community support experience we have to offer. We want new users to receive guidance and for veteran players in their local area to help them out. New users joining our game should feel comfortable and optimistic about their new experience learning about WWII Online as we all have over the years.

This channel selection puts them in the best position to be exposed to helpful targeted information that gets them into the organized game experience faster.

1 person likes this

I like Side channel as a default, it's good for entertainment in-between those boring drives and guard duty.  I'd rather the people who are being jerks were handled, and the fact is you will end up doing that anyway when the usual suspects just bloviate on the new channels about their dissatisfaction/issues.

Origin is questionable IMO for 'helping' new guys, I see a LOT of opportunity for confusion when they aren't clear 'where' and what context, so that's not going to eliminate that negative aspect of Side.

3 people like this

Origin is a useless channel.  It's entirely redundant with (and less useful than) the Target channel.

And the Allies use Side channel a lot for in-game communication (and have done so for as long as I can recall).  

I don't know ... i think removing the ability to send out an SOS to your side that x, y, and z is going down doesn't make a ton of sense. But we will see how it goes i guess.

1 person likes this

Yep, I don't like this change as well. We need side-wide communication - with consistent lower pop, we need to be able to quickly rally what forces we *do* have to trouble spots.

1 person likes this

LOL, in the spirit of what you can't see can't hurt?? Silly move imo. 

2 people like this

I would agree with @Capco.  Origin is FAR less useful than Side.  Side needs to stay

1 person likes this

Can we get 7 channels instead of 6? We have enough space to add a new one...

Also it would be great to make official channels for each language and tune it by default according to your language client. For example I install the game in spanish and I would have 91 channel tuned already.

3AeZklG.jpg

At this time these changes do not open up an additional channel selection. Those are a bit more heavy duty than we're ready to tackle at the moment.

I can appreciate some hesitation expressed about it and I understand that for years the Side channel has turned into a defacto dump-all comms into it. That's largely part of the reason we're stepping back to emphasize OPS usage and localized chat.

If you want to tune side chat and stay on it, that's up to you and that choice can be made at any time.

@Kilemall asking CRS to increase moderation will result into further backlash from players. I of course encourage peer correction (self policing) where ever possible as you see fit and appropriate. These changes at this time are necessary and will go forward.

3 hours ago, bogol said:

LOL, in the spirit of what you can't see can't hurt?? Silly move imo. 

it's also probably not a good idea to have the primary chat channel have a big scary warning message telling anyone that posts there to only use it for serious business

that is sure to work against facilitating communication with new players, I'm still not sure why the help channel still has a warning message

10 minutes ago, david06 said:

it's also probably not a good idea to have the primary chat channel have a big scary warning message telling anyone that posts there to only use it for serious business

that is sure to work against facilitating communication with new players, I'm still not sure why the help channel still has a warning message

Scary warning? It’s an informational message on the purpose of the channel. Wouldn’t call that a warning or scary.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

At this time these changes do not open up an additional channel selection. Those are a bit more heavy duty than we're ready to tackle at the moment.

I can appreciate some hesitation expressed about it and I understand that for years the Side channel has turned into a defacto dump-all comms into it. That's largely part of the reason we're stepping back to emphasize OPS usage and localized chat.

If you want to tune side chat and stay on it, that's up to you and that choice can be made at any time.

@Kilemall asking CRS to increase moderation will result into further backlash from players. I of course encourage peer correction (self policing) where ever possible as you see fit and appropriate. These changes at this time are necessary and will go forward.

<Shrug> IMO you'll end up moderating more heavily anyway to achieve the business goal, while damaging an entertainment aspect especially with the time sink some of this game has always required to win.

I'd rather see the effort going into integral voicecomms by default, infinitely more payoff on retention.

That, and the AO IS your organizing principle, not origin towns or brigades.

The difference in work load, as commonly misunderstood is a staggering difference.

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

Scary warning? It’s an informational message on the purpose of the channel. Wouldn’t call that a warning or scary.

XOOM, please put a trigger warning in....also model a safe space and put it in Area 51. Let players spawn in with adult coloring books and have a special channel where they can talk about their feelings.

Thanks

S!

2 minutes ago, xanthus said:

XOOM, please put a trigger warning in....also model a safe space and put it in Area 51. Let players spawn in with adult coloring books and have a special channel where they can talk about their feelings.

Thanks

S!

LOL! Kudos, that was a good one :D. That is called side channel! Hehe.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, david06 said:

!!WARNING!!: Unauthorized use of side channel will result in your testicles being smothered in gravy and dangled
above a pit of starving wolverines.

2 hours ago, david06 said:

I'm still not sure why the help channel still has a warning message

Because inevitably someone decides to try and go using it for their personal soapbox and then they guy wanting help with the keymapper is greeted by a wall of rage spam, which really does not do much to help him figure out how to make his vehicle work.

Sometimes people ignore the message and go at it anyways, then they get fed to the wolverines.

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

The difference in work load, as commonly misunderstood is a staggering difference.

It is if you let the imagined perfect but big project hurt the achievable now, i.e. give option to install a voice client with our stuff predefined or run a subroutine to add it if they already have discord, and a button link to do the same ingame.

It would be nice if you guys ( Rats) could get the multi channel typing working again.  It was very helpful for the HC guys and also people posting missions to be able to do 2 or 3 channels at once.

Should be a high priority imho

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, hondo said:

It would be nice if you guys ( Rats) could get the multi channel typing working again.  It was very helpful for the HC guys and also people posting missions to be able to do 2 or 3 channels at once.

Should be a high priority imho

I think it's important for everyone to note, that CRS has a lot of stuff that we want to do - that we all agree with you on. In this case Hondo, we totally agree with you. So this work being done, is very minimalistic, in fact I personally changed a couple of variables in the code and we're doing some database work that does not impact the work flow that we have currently being applied to 1.36.

I need to find a way, and I've been struggling to do so, that makes it known that we have a variety of resources that do things around here. I get the impression that although we're doing lots of stuff, players are assuming that means we're intentionally ignoring other important matters and redirecting valuable time of our development team while forgetting the big important stuff.

I'd like to say, that's not the case, particularly in this regard and in many others.

Genuine question here: How do we make resource distribution more clear? Does it matter to you as players? Does it just come across as making excuses for not doing things ( even though it's not )? I don't mean to be critical in saying that, I just truly want to find a way to effectively convey this because I think, far exceeding this particular topic, it's important for players to know who's doing what and that we're not ignoring things. Perhaps only the solution in a timely manner matters and no explanation is acceptable. If that's the case, do our words matter? 

Let me know, I don't want to create subconscious or direct irritation and this sort of feedback can be very beneficial. To anyone wishing to respond to this question, please be constructive on this one.

Ok, Origin is a completely worthless radio channel, no need for it.

I'd go

1 mission

2 target

3 operations (10)

4 open (side, air, navy)

5 squad

6 help

Then code 2 more radios so we can have 8;  (1 - 3 stay same)

4 air

5 navy

6 open

7 squad

8 help

Maybe one thing that would help is that for the Friday updates have a bunch of bullets of the ongoing projects, even if there is nothing concrete that week ppl will see that things are being done.

For example I doubt many people realize that xl2ripr is working on new buildings.

Most players don't even know who he is probably.

So for example:

Modelling: Ripr continues to work on big city block building model with the rest of the environmental team.

... And so on down the line. That way people maybe have a better idea of what going on.

Just now, delems said:

Ok, Origin is a completely worthless radio channel, no need for it.

I'd go

1 mission

2 target

3 operations (10)

4 open (side, air, navy)

5 squad

6 help

Then code 2 more radios so we can have 8;  (1 - 3 stay same)

4 air

5 navy

6 open

7 squad

8 help

Please keep squad F4. Agree on the origin channel, target is much more important especially if multiple FBs attack a town.