• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
jw

Free to play

39 posts in this topic

Free to play is ruining the game... If you can't see that I can't help.

1 person likes this

Would you care to expand how F2P is ruining this game? How come Eve Onlne and Planetside 2 are successeful and have a very large F2P contingent?

I personally can't tgink of a single time that a F2P player somehow lessened my gaming experience.

From a personal perspective, I believe that free play (f2p) is helping the game.   This is because this game does fail when a minimum population threshold isn't attained.  F2p users help to keep the population higher than that threshold.  Having said that, Our subscriber base is what allows us to continue to add new features, equipment, and hopefully experiences to the game.  

However, I also believe that the current failing of the F2p is that the class is to restricted.  I PERSONALLY think that the f2p account should be able to access all T0 equipment.  I also believe that the access should be only to the Tier 0 equipment, and unless exempted for a special event or period - never changed.   

Pro: f2p can fully experience the game, and actively contribute in all aspects of the player experience.

Con: after T1 the experience can get ugly (and fast in some equipment model classes). 

Going forward (and given the current assumptions about f2p gaming models) the free play model is most likely to continue, at least for a while.  The problem for OUR game is how do we capture the core of the game, and make it f2p usable (compliant ?) with the broader need for a continued revenue stream for server support and maintenance?

Selling new Skins for existing models only lasts so long... so works over the short term, but dies over longer time periods

Many f2p use the same baseline models with different skins as the selling point (Neon Pink Tiger with Jet Black Markings anyone? (as an allied player - Please go for this) ) Our current Game Engine and most of our older models don't support this.  

New DLC content only lasts so long.......

New DLC packs are reliant on New content development, and at some point we will run out of 'actually used' equipment, and even further down the road 'designed/drawing board' stuff).  Given that we're trying to adhere to a stricter simulation model, at some point we run out of new stuff for DLC packs.... 

It should be noted that I'm not the decider, and I fully support whatever account decisions are made.

4 people like this

I guess the real question is how long does the average subscriber stay subscribed versus how much would the average F2P player spend? As long as F2P spending more than average player remains subscribed it's a good deal. 

Naturally subscriptions will stay as every major MMO has them, and probably for a good financial reason (probably to smooth out cash flow).

Lots of ways to montize F2P in the future which I hope will be done but for now I think F2P helps th game overall.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, aismov said:

Would you care to expand how F2P is ruining this game? How come Eve Onlne and Planetside 2 are successeful and have a very large F2P contingent?

I personally can't tgink of a single time that a F2P player somehow lessened my gaming experience.

I can't think of a single time lately which a F2P player has NOT lessened my gaming experience. Whether it's spawning in at your fms and shooting at you, giving away your position after working very hard to get a truck out to just the right spot and dying several times doing it, or spawning in and coming to the spawn depot you are guarding and throwing smoke and nadeing you, or running into an fb shooting at everything that moves letting defenders know you are there and ruining the attack, or whether it's the 2nd accounts logging in just long enough to hear you side chat and...well you know.  Most veteran players play the game to win, or why even play?

Edited by jw
spelling
2 people like this

11 minutes ago, aismov said:

I guess the real question is how long does the average subscriber stay subscribed versus how much would the average F2P player spend? As long as F2P spending more than average player remains subscribed it's a good deal. 

Naturally subscriptions will stay as every major MMO has them, and probably for a good financial reason (probably to smooth out cash flow).

Lots of ways to montize F2P in the future which I hope will be done but for now I think F2P helps th game overall.

If you stop worrying about the bottom line, and dance with the girl that you brung, you wouldn't have to worry about the bottom line. Lot of veteran players have been po'd and left  by stupid stuff they never asked for. 

Edited by jw
spelling

1 hour ago, jw said:

I can't think of a single time lately which a F2P player has NOT lessened my gaming experience. Whether it's spawning in at your fms and shooting at you, giving away your position after working very hard to get a truck out to just the right spot and dying several times doing it, or spawning in and coming to the spawn depot you are guarding and throwing smoke and nadeing you, or running into an fb shooting at everything that moves letting defenders know you are there and ruining the attack, or whether it's the 2nd accounts logging in just long enough to hear you side chat and...well you know.  Most veteran players play the game to win, or why even play?

Dunno, but honestly I have yet to see any of what you describe and I play a fair bit. And the 2nd account spies... gotta say haven't seen that period.

1 hour ago, aismov said:

Dunno, but honestly I have yet to see any of what you describe and I play a fair bit. And the 2nd account spies... gotta say haven't seen that period.

Don't know what you mean by "a fair bit" but I see it everyday, spies are hard to catch but I see everything else I just described every day now. It's an ongoing joke among those of us who play a lot. In fact we were hoping for friendly fire to be put in so we could deal with it ourselves.   

Don't builder accounts get a second account for free? I'd say that's who's doing your spying, the regular player probably doesn't care enough to do such a thing.
Also a F2P who buys 2 skins a month is worth more than a subscriber, it's really that simple. If you don't treat that type of player with their due value and respect then you'll be missing out on the most potential support
you could possibly get for this game and really be shooting yourself in the foot leaving so much money on the table.

Edited by knucks

12 minutes ago, knucks said:

Don't builder accounts get a second account for free? I'd say that's who's doing your spying, the regular player probably doesn't care enough to do such a thing.
Also a F2P who buys 2 skins a month is worth more than a subscriber, it's really that simple. If you don't treat that type of player with their due value and respect then you'll be missing out on the most potential support
you could possibly get for this game and really be shooting yourself in the foot leaving so much money on the table.

What price do you think the 'skin' market would bear?

And how many months and skins are you talking about, and do you understand what kind of a graphics load you are asking for?

Badges, I think they can do all day long, but skins are a whole object, and 1000s of objects to have smoothly load in on demand is NOT casual.

The game's engine is fundamentally built around the OpenFlight modeling specification. My understanding is, in OpenFlight the "skin" of a model is an integral compiled element and is not changeable except by creating a new model; and all models are "called" from the program code loaded into the client. 

That wouldn't rule out a skins-for-sale monetization approach. It however would mean that each such sale would require a substantial Presagis Creator model modification and re-compilation, and each model would have to be distributed as part of a patch so as to be available to any client that might interact with the player using that model.

2 people like this

43 minutes ago, knucks said:

I don't know where to start with how crazy this comment is.

Lol.

S!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, knucks said:

Well that is debatable. Will that F2P person continue buying 2 skins per month for the duration of his playtime with the game? Or would the subscriber simply stop paying the subscription fee, purchase say 5 skins, and then play for free for the next 5 years (or 18 years for that matter).

I agree with you that there is money being left on the table, I just don't think the economics of it is as simple as you are making it out to be. There are a lot of potential minefields that can very quickly dry up your revenue stream.

7 hours ago, knucks said:

Again with the bottom line.. If we understood why the veteran players stay and what P them off we wouldn't have considered free to play because we wouldn't need them.

8 hours ago, jwilly said:

The game's engine is fundamentally built around the OpenFlight modeling specification. My understanding is, in OpenFlight the "skin" of a model is an integral compiled element and is not changeable except by creating a new model; and all models are "called" from the program code loaded into the client. 

That wouldn't rule out a skins-for-sale monetization approach. It however would mean that each such sale would require a substantial Presagis Creator model modification and re-compilation, and each model would have to be distributed as part of a patch so as to be available to any client that might interact with the player using that model.

It could technically be doable using the same mechanism in place for the current decals.  It would however require substantial re-work  of every model in game as essentially each component would have to be re-done to allow for a 'decal' over its entire surface.

All the new premium players I've seen lately have started as Free Rifle Accounts who eventually wanted more weapons. I don't know how many would have just jumped in with a sub otherwise.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, caydel said:

All the new premium players I've seen lately have started as Free Rifle Accounts who eventually wanted more weapons. I don't know how many would have just jumped in with a sub otherwise.

I am sure this is why there's F2P. 

Free to play isn't all bad. What is bad is Billy Bob Recruit spawning at an FMS and shooting friendlies giving away the FMS position. Or as a sapper trying to get undetected to a tank, the recruit comes near my position, and the tank spotting him, decides to spray the bushes killing me. These are real things that I have seen. Some will heed my call to stay away if I am a sapper, ATG,  etc... some ignore my message to them and get me killed.  I avoid recruits like the plague in open combat. Cities aren't so bad.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, shiloh17 said:

What is bad is Billy Bob Recruit spawning at an FMS and shooting friendlies giving away the FMS position.

That happens with noobs regardless of pay scale.
Actually, it seems to happen regardless of what game it is

1 person likes this

Skins, if they were even an option, wouldn't do much for this game. It just doesn't look good enough.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:31 PM, jw said:

Those aren't F2P players mate, those are NOOBs.

New players, paying or not, did every single thing you mention since Day1.  Take a moment out of your self-absorbed angst and message a noob to teach him/her something or get them in your squad for a session and teach them a lot. 

Edited by sorella
4 people like this

11 hours ago, sorella said:

Those aren't F2P players mate, those are NOOBs.

New players, paying or not, did every single thing you mention since Day1.  Take a moment out of your self-absorbed angst and message a noob to teach him/her something or get them in your squad for a session and teach them a lot. 

Pretty much every long-time vet has the same origin story.

"game looked cool so I bought it.  i was clueless how to play at first though.  then someone took me under their wing and showed me the ropes."

On 2019-03-15 at 5:56 PM, jw said:

Free to play is ruining the game... If you can't see that I can't help.

In before the lock!

On 3/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, B2K said:

From a personal perspective, I believe that free play (f2p) is helping the game.   This is because this game does fail when a minimum population threshold isn't attained.  F2p users help to keep the population higher than that threshold.

This.

It's not hard to understand. If you think F2P is a bad thing, you're nuts.

3 people like this