• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
jw

Free to play

39 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, B2K said:

It could technically be doable using the same mechanism in place for the current decals.  It would however require substantial re-work  of every model in game as essentially each component would have to be re-done to allow for a 'decal' over its entire surface.

Then the "decal" development process would be substantiall equivalent to part of the current modeling process, because the "decals" would have to be foldable to all the elements of the object 3D geometry, plus all the moving parts that are to be "decal"-covered...at all of the LODs, so the object didn't flash back and forth between two appearances at the LOD-boundary distance...in all of the lighting and/or weather conditions that affect what model is displayed. And, the "decal" covered model would have to accept another layer of "decal", for hit marks, campaign marks, identifiers and so forth.

Seems like a lot of work to get a potentially nice, but unproven, revenue stream. I'd think that that amount of model rebuilding work would be substantially equivalent to just building a bunch of entirely new models...the customer-attracting, revenue-boosting power of which is proven.

I only had an hour yesterday to get online during the event but I have not seen “high” population in a long time. If giving more FTP draws in more numbers, I’d be all for it. 

It makes you wonder how you could open up the game for free, yet still cover costs and develop? 

On a side note, events that gather the player base together should be done regularly, it was encouraging to see that amount of people online. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, raptor34 said:

I only had an hour yesterday to get online during the event but I have not seen “high” population in a long time. If giving more FTP draws in more numbers, I’d be all for it. 

It makes you wonder how you could open up the game for free, yet still cover costs and develop? 

On a side note, events that gather the player base together should be done regularly, it was encouraging to see that amount of people online. 

I agree..........BUT I feel it was just a one off thing because all accounts were given access to all the toys....now that the "free" stuff is over........well..........

4 hours ago, bmw said:

I agree..........BUT I feel it was just a one off thing because all accounts were given access to all the toys....now that the "free" stuff is over........well..........

That is exactly what I mean. Having open access to all equipment for all players would definitely drive up player numbers, and that would be a good thing. The question is how could we, the player base, still fund the project if that was done? It's an open-ended question at this point.

I think the workload for the skins would be too much for the volunteer devs, and would pull dev time from other projects. The current format for models doesn't appear to be skin friendly..are there any options to export the models exterior layers into another program?

2 hours ago, raptor34 said:

That is exactly what I mean. Having open access to all equipment for all players would definitely drive up player numbers, and that would be a good thing. The question is how could we, the player base, still fund the project if that was done? It's an open-ended question at this point.

But that's not what I mean. 

I mean it's a shame people come back only to play when there is a promotion and it's free. Then when its over then leave.  Its apparent they still have a fondness for the game or they would not have come back at all.   Cant have your cake and eat it too.

1 person likes this

I agree with opening up tier 0 to f2p, with the exception of engineers. Can't have the engineers wasted, and rifles carry an HE

If Tier 0 is opened up to free players then whats the incentive for STEAM users to purchase DLC's?

32 minutes ago, PITTPETE said:

If Tier 0 is opened up to free players then whats the incentive for STEAM users to purchase DLC's?

I didn't realize DLC's were increasing population. Honestly, I don't understand why someone would purchase something so limited. 

20 hours ago, bmw said:

But that's not what I mean. 

I mean it's a shame people come back only to play when there is a promotion and it's free. Then when its over then leave.  Its apparent they still have a fondness for the game or they would not have come back at all.   Cant have your cake and eat it too.

Just a sign that the overall product is priced out of the market. Besides, all access free will always bring more numbers in even if the game was even just $5/month. Applies to all steam games. 

3 hours ago, PITTPETE said:

Could expand on content offered through a DLC deal to further incentivize. 

2 hours ago, snappahead said:

I didn't realize DLC's were increasing population. Honestly, I don't understand why someone would purchase something so limited. 

Impact is certainly limited however it is noticeable. Check out any of the monitoring websites and compare data pre-August 2018 and after

48 minutes ago, gt3076r said:

Impact is certainly limited however it is noticeable. Check out any of the monitoring websites and compare data pre-August 2018 and after

Is the impact because of DLC or because of steam?

1 hour ago, snappahead said:

Is the impact because of DLC or because of steam?

DLC likely. DLC launch was late August 2018. From then forward til now, average steam users have increased by 5-15 players. Steam launch was Sept 2017

I know of a fair amount of players that are F2P with some DLC. And a lot of players (even old vets) use F2P to try the game out and see if their want to subscribe. That said the cost certainly is a barrier to entry for many players. We've debated this many times but my understanding the financials aren't there yet to let the price drop to say $9.99 premium/$4.99 basic. Maybe it would bring in more players and offset the loss in revenue from lower the price... or maybe not.

13 hours ago, aismov said:

I know of a fair amount of players that are F2P with some DLC. And a lot of players (even old vets) use F2P to try the game out and see if their want to subscribe. That said the cost certainly is a barrier to entry for many players. We've debated this many times but my understanding the financials aren't there yet to let the price drop to say $9.99 premium/$4.99 basic. Maybe it would bring in more players and offset the loss in revenue from lower the price... or maybe not.

It is a gamble I’m certain CRS does not want to take yet the catch is the only other changes which would have equal or better chances of bringing more bodies in and keeping them around are either too difficult or simply impossible to execute.