Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
timeless

Lag and Kills Me or You?

10 posts in this topic

https://imgur.com/7cRXDN2

I just built this computer specifically for gaming and rid myself of any bottlenecking.  I have 150 Mbps speed and dedicated wired line on 5g connection. Now 90% of gameplay for me is smooth as can be but I am still getting some major lag sometimes. We have all unloaded half a magazine into an ei and he turns and kills you and runs off. Sometimes it wont even show any hits or damage. I cant even imagine playing on a older computer or laptop with a wifi connection. Wouldn't someone lagging that bad have a disadvantage? Seems backwards to me and maybe I am looking at this all wrong. Do I need to go back to dial-up service? (lol, no chance) I just want to know what any of you do out there to help with lag. Is it on my end or wwii server?

Personally I tried to resolve my unhappiness with lag deaths by utilising alcohol.

Then Majes99 advised that you could only have a beer if you capped something - I ended that map with almost 500 caps and a mountain of empty bottles.

To be serious, I think that they render for you off set from where they really are, as tanks and planes can do. With tanks where the tracer comes from is where they really are, not where the image is. Of course in infantry CQC if you see them shooting it is usually too late to shift your aim point.

S! Ian

34 minutes ago, timeless said:

dedicated wired line on 5g connection

I dont understand..You have am ethernet cable plugged into the 5G antennae/equipment?

If so wireless always has some type of latency, even the 'new 5G' claims.

Unless your on a small cell type millimeter wave within a few hundred feet from you, expect latency..

Confused on the Internet connection as well. If you are really running 5G that means you are on a wireless connection which will have issues. The fact that the antenna is hard wired to a router which is hard wired into your PC still makes it a wireless connection.

Just side note on your rig, why two 360 rads? I see you are running a single 1080ti and a Threadripper. Are you doing some crazy overclocking in both the CPU and GPU?

A ton of benchmarking on hwbot. just ordered new pot and some material for ln2. I am prepared to lose some equipment...lol. As far as connection. the way my house is set up I have cable line coming in from downstairs to modem and I ran a dedicated line upstairs. My son is 5g wireless and all the other s*** we have running in the house. I went through hell getting that line upstairs so I wouldn't have to much drop of with latency. I can understand a wireless connection. 2 360 rads was the smartest thing Ive done in the 20 water-cooled builds I have done. My temps at max overclock...48C all 16 cores at 4.2 Ghz. My temps on gpu have never gone above 37 or 38C with or without any overclock. 2 loops each with a 360 is perfect for benchmarking and gaming. 

https://imgur.com/apNIbyN

This is an example. My sons computer I built for him. Single loop, one pump instead of 2 pumps and 2 separate loops. His temps while playing fortnite and apex average 58-60C on CPU and maybe 50-55 on GPU. Now I could have eliminated some of the loop but because I used that Barrows Res plate it add some to the loop. But if wanted to bench my sons computer you are limited on the amount of room to adjust voltage and overclock CPU. more voltage = heat. You want the room to play. He doesn't need it and I built his mostly from old parts.

1 hour ago, timeless said:

We have all unloaded half a magazine into an ei and he turns and kills you and runs off. Sometimes it wont even show any hits or damage.

That can be the other person.
Before the auto despawn was implemented, there were more occasions of this.
You would shoot the guy, nothing happened.

He might turn around after, like he was seriously detached from what was going on and shoot you, or he might just continue on oblivious.
If he was the only thing you touched you might see a no hit no kill AAR on despawn.

But, it got stranger some of us found.
If you respawned right away, and just sat someplace safe for a bit and despawned, here would come the credit for the guy you blasted.
He finally died much latently.
If you were running back off playing, you did not much notice that extra unit killed.

I had occasion once to shoot a guy, who did not die and appeared kind of oblivious to me.
So i just kind of followed him for a while.
He drops over dead for no reason (aside from me shooting him in the back 4 minutes ago) like 3 or 4 minutes later.

It is better now, there was a point where it had started to get really strange.
Guy would walk in to cap your bunker, 20 people shoot him, he does not die, but he is also totally oblivious to there being anyone else in the bunker.
He just sits there, maybe looks out the window every now and then, like he is waiting for an enemy that he can't see is sitting there poking him with knives.
Probably also wondering why none of the players on his side are coming to help, cause he has probably ceased to see them properly either.

1 hour ago, ian77 said:

To be serious, I think that they render for you off set from where they really are, as tanks and planes can do. With tanks where the tracer comes from is where they really are, not where the image is. Of course in infantry CQC if you see them shooting it is usually too late to shift your aim point.

What you see is what you hit.
The DM is the physical model you look at, so when you shoot it, that is what your client is factoring it's shot results off of.
Even if i back up behind a building, if on your screen, you hit me before i do, that is what your client calculates it's shot results from.

When you see it shooting on the other hand, is different, we see enemy round trajectories and impacts from everything in an approximated fashion
based on a small amount of information sent from the unit we are watching.
Is firing, what gun, relative direction, rough idea of where round is coming to.

You could miss something, say the info that the turret had rotated and was pointing a different direction for example.
so you see tank with turret pointed same place it was.
Now a bit later tank shoots, and of course the approximated representation kind of does not match the physical picture you are looking at
Which is weird looking, but aside from being weird looking, the physical object is still what you are going to shoot.
If you see thin side of turret, then that is what you hit, and that is what your client calculates it's shot outcome from.

When said thing refuses to die when visually it should, it becomes a question of communications.
Where in the communications dance is something not being received, or discarded, or corrupted, or out of sync etc.

But if you see side of vehicle, or arse of infantry, and shoot it, assuming you do not miss, that is what your client says
I hit side of tank, i hit infantry buttocks, and that is the info it sends back up to the host.
It's the dance that comes after that sometimes seems to fail it's choreography, which can be annoying, especially when you dont know
Is it me? is it some level3/cogentco stupid router backbone issue, is it the other guy, is it the game host, is it an act of god, did CRS put kevlar on DLC and no one told me?

If I shoot at the rear/side of a sherm 5 or 6 times from fairly close range in a tiger and see my rounds appear to just pass through it, then see his muzzle flash and correct to THAT relative position, the sherm blows up next shot. For me, the target is not where I see it but where he shoots from. I only kill it by correcting to the observed origin of his rounds.

I had a very experienced atg player join me on discord recently, he had shot me several times in the flank according to his game visual, then my turret MG rounds killed him from a completely different position - he had me cold, but none of his shots rendered to me as hits, I heard them but never once felt a hit.  

I often see incoming rounds render as explosions well away from my tank, and then have the track on the other side be blown, or the engine when the round renders in front of me. All these inconsistencies drive a man to dink. :) 

S! Ian

Edited by ian77

yea incoming rounds are only approximated, except for mortars.
Those the impact points are correct.

When i see a round incoming, if i have not died already, i always assume the next one is going to hit me

and i run

50 minutes ago, Merlin51 said:

yea incoming rounds are only approximated, except for mortars.
Those the impact points are correct.

When i see a round incoming, if i have not died already, i always assume the next one is going to hit me

and i run

^^^   : )

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0