Mosizlak

Barbed wire:

22 posts in this topic

Is there any way to be able to string it together? What I mean is that when you place 2 separate barbed wire PPOs, they don't connect. There's a gap infantry can run through. 

Any way to modify it to make them connect? 

3 people like this

Yeah my understanding is that it's being worked on. Issue is to make it such a way you can't clip into buildings and fully  block the bunker.

It's my understanding it is likely to be part of the patch this week, assuming the collider issues are ok and all that.

Hey Moz, I was at an enemy FB yesterday, and decided to attempt to mess with their AO a bit---to no avail.  I couldn't place PPOs anywhere near the spawn entrance.  Guess they fixed that issue.

S!

1 person likes this

It’s not something in the next patch.. we have discussed it internally but have not worked up a solution to do so. Right now 1.36 is our priority then expect a maintenance patch after that.

13 hours ago, augetout said:

It's my understanding it is likely to be part of the patch this week, assuming the collider issues are ok and all that.

Hey Moz, I was at an enemy FB yesterday, and decided to attempt to mess with their AO a bit---to no avail.  I couldn't place PPOs anywhere near the spawn entrance.  Guess they fixed that issue.

S!

I see you have changed your opinion on deliberately seeking to "mess" with players ability to spawn at and then leave an FB.

On 25th Feb when Moz posted complaining about FBs being sabotaged you said that while it had never happened to you that it had "to be stopped".

Now here you are claiming to have tried and failed to prevent people spawning and leaving from an FB.

There is a word that springs to mind for guys who act like this......

S! ian

2 people like this

I brought up a while ago a PPO idea where one can set clusters of Barbed Wire for example cutting down on build time and exactly what you are asking so INF can't run through it. 

Xoom liked the idea but if it will become an in game reality is to be seen.

The barbed wire PPOs are RA leftover static objects that we've managed to repurpose. As such they really need to be redone as to collider type and code so as to function better as PPOs.

PPOs are already too numerous and far too quick and easy to set up - I have worked with barbed wire, and you cannot be a soldier carrying that stuff around and creating a barrier in just 30 seconds. CRS keep claiming they want historical realism and then invent more and more fantasy when it suits.

Yes, players should be able to build defensive PPOs, fortifying towns or key positions, but that should take a reasonable amount of time and effort. Once again the defenders, who do usually nothing to help the flow of the game, get easy mode setting up barriers to the poor bloody attackers who are the only ones trying to bring action to the game.

Lets make it even more easy for one guy to go around blocking off roads and CPs while some other poor sod tries to get things moving by setting a fru that can be heard from 1600m out.

The game is broken vis attack and defence, please do not make defending even easier and attacking even less attractive, or all that will be left is our version of minecraft as everyone runs around building more and more PPOs.

S! Ian

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, ian77 said:

PPOs are already too numerous and far too quick and easy to set up - I have worked with barbed wire, and you cannot be a soldier carrying that stuff around and creating a barrier in just 30 seconds. CRS keep claiming they want historical realism and then invent more and more fantasy when it suits.

I do not trust you merely because you say there are too many, in my evaluation there are not enough player-built objects. Creating roadblocks and checkpoints actually sounds like something I could enjoy doing. Good luck getting past my squad's fortifications.

PPO changes will be tracked.

The hope is indeed to see more fortifications being setup by both defenders but also attackers.

Why I personally like this approach:

IRL towns were heavily fortified. Our game offers a 360-degrees map which offers a unique liberty of action, but which is also bringing confusion to where to find action and how fast it is moving from one place to another. Therefore we cannot get the experience of squadron vs squadron fights.

Until we improve that style of  squadron-based gameplay (voicecomms etc), we can play with the environment. Working with PPOs gives the freedom of choice to players: you decide how you want to play it.

Fortifications/ZOC can thus help reduce the « epileptic » part of the game, making the fights last longer but in smaller areas.

My next wish: letting barbed wires and barbed boxes stick to other objects to create a continuous line of fortification. further contributing to  the funnelling of infantry battles and requiring better teamwork to push through (altough it is very easily destroyed, but not if well defended by a LMG, an AA and an ATG :) )

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, knucks said:

I do not trust you merely because you say there are too many, in my evaluation there are not enough player-built objects. Creating roadblocks and checkpoints actually sounds like something I could enjoy doing. Good luck getting past my squad's fortifications.

And so another nail is hammered into the attacking game.

Great even less success.

Why not spend the time building barricades driving a fru to the AO?

Enjoy you building game.

S! Ian 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ZEBBEEE said:

PPO changes will be tracked.

The hope is indeed to see more fortifications being setup by both defenders but also attackers.

Why I personally like this approach:

IRL towns were heavily fortified. Our game offers a 360-degrees map which offers a unique liberty of action, but which is also bringing confusion to where to find action and how fast it is moving from one place to another. Therefore we cannot get the experience of squadron vs squadron fights.

Until we improve that style of  squadron-based gameplay (voicecomms etc), we can play with the environment. Working with PPOs gives the freedom of choice to players: you decide how you want to play it.

Fortifications/ZOC can thus help reduce the « epileptic » part of the game, making the fights last longer but in smaller areas.

My next wish: letting barbed wires and barbed boxes stick to other objects to create a continuous line of fortification. further contributing to  the funnelling of infantry battles and requiring better teamwork to push through (altough it is very easily destroyed, but not if well defended by a LMG, an AA and an ATG :) )

Or otherwise called funnelling the attackers into a killing zone. So now the defenders don't even have to leave the town to camp the fru, just sit at the end of your barbedwire funnel and shoot the few players stupid enough to want to try attacking. 

When there are no attackers left, and seeing many AOs with zero EWS in all TZs this is almost the present state of the game, what will the PPO builders do then? See who can link their barbed wire from one town to another, rather than set up an attack so people can play a combat game rather than putting up a days worth of real entanglements in a few minutes as we have now?

S! Ian 

1 person likes this

Ian I understand where you are coming from , BUT.  In reality the defenders were already dug in with 88s in good positions of every imaginable approach. Mortar already set up ,   ATG well entranched and camouflaged. Anti Tank barricades and barb wires put up before any Attacker would even show their faces.

In game we have the reverse thing going on the AO is set by then the enemy is either already on the outskirts or maybe even real close to town (depending on the Defenders response time. With absolutely no chance of getting 88s into good positions or even ATG into ambush position let alone get anything up and build. 

And I don't think you are advocating players to spawn in every town and build stuff and repeat that every hour in case there might be an AO set let alone find another player have him drive you into a good position and then you sit there for 5 hrs manning that 88 and nothing ever happenes and you log out and go this was a great night I kept watch for 5hrs and not one enemy showed it's face , cause that is realism , days of bordom with 5 min of pure hell in between when the attack does happen to dead silence again.

I was attacking a town a few days ago and was on overwatch to the AB -reporting enemy armour movements.  There was a veritable army of soldiers in the AB area playing the ww2ol version of minecraft, atg pits..fms, sand bags, wire..all inside the AB. Meanwhile the cps were unguarded..buts is this the gameplay we want?

Sure, in reality, defenses were dug in and DID "funnel" the enemy into killing zones. This was partially defeated by artillery/airborne bombardment. Scouts were the key to attacks.

..then we have our game. Everyone can hear the trucks coming in IF they respond to ews. If they don't,  the attackers have a chance.

NOTHING that CRS has done lately has changed this.  It certainly not their fault- the game sound engine simply cannot deal with audio in a way that 2019 players expect. 

We simply have to work around this...hotdrops, more para ops, coordinated hits with bombing,  paras and fast armor support. All this can work with what we have available to us now.

MAKE the game shine..its up to us!

1 hour ago, dre21 said:

Ian I understand where you are coming from , BUT.  In reality the defenders were already dug in with 88s in good positions of every imaginable approach. Mortar already set up ,   ATG well entranched and camouflaged. Anti Tank barricades and barb wires put up before any Attacker would even show their faces.

In game we have the reverse thing going on the AO is set by then the enemy is either already on the outskirts or maybe even real close to town (depending on the Defenders response time. With absolutely no chance of getting 88s into good positions or even ATG into ambush position let alone get anything up and build. 

And I don't think you are advocating players to spawn in every town and build stuff and repeat that every hour in case there might be an AO set let alone find another player have him drive you into a good position and then you sit there for 5 hrs manning that 88 and nothing ever happenes and you log out and go this was a great night I kept watch for 5hrs and not one enemy showed it's face , cause that is realism , days of bordom with 5 min of pure hell in between when the attack does happen to dead silence again.

CC Dre21.

It is just depressing to log in and find zero ews in 3 AOs, the 4th AO with hvy/lt EWS, the town uncontested and only 1 MS from 3 links, and people wanting more defensive PPOs, and more "effective" PPOs.

Building things is way too quick and easy, and in 2 seconds you can go from helpless builder to rifle armed soldier with full sprint and no hinderances, if the enemy shows up.

I would like to see a limit to the number of PPOs a player can erect, after all how many gun emplacements does one guy need to be able to build? You will rarely even see a gun in one. (Cue somebody claiming he always spawns an engineer first whenever he wants to spawn an atg :) ).

Anyway, roll on 1.36 and hopefully some more attacking (and panzers in axis garrisons! :)! )

S! Ian

1 hour ago, jet2019 said:

I was attacking a town a few days ago and was on overwatch to the AB -reporting enemy armour movements.  There was a veritable army of soldiers in the AB area playing the ww2ol version of minecraft, atg pits..fms, sand bags, wire..all inside the AB. Meanwhile the cps were unguarded..buts is this the gameplay we want?

Well, at least they were ready to work, now to just funnel the efforts outwards more, and do some minecraft out at the depots and such. :)

We could let barbed wired stick to surrounding objects but in counter part increase the minimum distance of deployment up to 30 meters from any CP (friendly or enemy).

One bomb nowhere near the PPOs kills 90% of them, the only ones that don't immediately die to a bomb are the Gun Emplacements, so if you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to funnel the enemy into your kill zone, one bomb will delete all your work in a second.   All the PPOs in the AB are deleted by one bomb except Gun Emplacements and FMS (those take a direct hit) barbed wire, sandbags, etc... all gone with one bomb, if you put them behind a building where the shock wave wouldn't affect them they are still destroyed.  Same at the fire bases, you work and work on building PPOs and they are gone in a second.  It wouldn't be so bad if when you put the sight of an AAA gun on the target and squeezed the trigger the round went where the sight was, then you may be able to protect the PPOs from air attack.

1 person likes this

On 3/19/2019 at 6:40 AM, ian77 said:

I see you have changed your opinion on deliberately seeking to "mess" with players ability to spawn at and then leave an FB.

On 25th Feb when Moz posted complaining about FBs being sabotaged you said that while it had never happened to you that it had "to be stopped".

Now here you are claiming to have tried and failed to prevent people spawning and leaving from an FB.

There is a word that springs to mind for guys who act like this......

S! ian

As a volunteer for CRS, rest assured that I cannot respond how I would like to @ian77

To be clear, I was going to put a series of firing positions in, leading from the covered path all the way into the FB, with the idea of seeing if providing a covered path into the FB would work.  The idea struck me while I was right by the FB, so I decided to start the line of firing positions from within the FB itself.  When I couldn't place a firing point within the boundaries of the FB, I tested to see if anything PPO-wise was placeable, and found it was not, hence my post to Moz.  My assertion hasn't changed 1 bit, nor has my behavior in-game which if you ask around, should be reported as being positive and fully against any sort of gaming the game, cheating, etc. since the day I entered this community, some 18 years ago.

If you require clarification before assuming the worst, by all means my advice would be to seek such clarification.  I think you will find it far less aggravating to those you are falsely accusing, and far more accurate when clarifications allow for your venom to be accurately placed.