victorhugo

Old school Year 1 player here, more than ready to come back

9 posts in this topic

!S - Hey everyone! This is inutero aka victorhugo, been awhile(10 years or so), I miss this game so much, I originally bought the big yellow box at a Circuit City in 2001(just to frame my personal history with this game), but couldn't get it going until like Jan/Feb 2002, I was in high school and had to save up and get a custom computer built just for this game. I had an epic few years, even working my way into the High Command as Xooms XO when paratroopers were first released(go 2nd Fallschirmjaegers!)  eventually my computer got outclassed by the game requirements. In my early 20s at that point I ran into financial difficulties, and my 2009 era comeback was derailed due to the fact I bought an iMac, which was quickly outclassed by game requirements.

Im now in my early 30s, Im ready to come back for good man. Its been a long road back just with work/finances/life. I am reaching a point of relative stability in work/life balance where I'm ready to invest in a new rig just for this game(but it to be able to grow with the game). I dont game on PC for any other games nor do I plan to, I want to build a computer with accessories specifically, to play WWIIOL. The issue? Ive bought Apple everything for 10 years and I cant get anything done professionally or gaming wise so I have absolutely zero idea where to begin. I got an Xbox so I'm cool but, I still think about this game all the time and I have a massive case of FOMO. I started following this game at release, Ive watched it grow, now I am in a position to give back to the community in a way I wasn't when I was a youngin.

So, where do I start from a technical standpoint, and is anyone still around from back in the day?

I miss this game and community so much, there was nothing like it before nor since.

Hope to see you all around,

Salute!

Welcome back Victor! i'm not a hardware whiz of any kind but if you buy virtually any mid-range PC off the shelf that has a decent NVidia video card I think you'll find that the industry has long surpassed the minimum system requirements for the game, and at a fair price too. Just make sure to invest in a decent controller and monitor as well.

The huge majority of forum users (75%?) is from pre-2005, that should answer your question! :)

S! Inutero great to see a familiar name back here. Like BMBM said these days you can get great performance for a fantastic price. The fact you don't plan on any other PC gaming helps tremendously.

WWIIOL is primarily a CPU-limited game, rather than a GPU-limited game. So if it comes to choosing where to invest bs cutback generally go for the better performing CPU rather than a video card (which is the exact opposite of what you would do for most games).

I would recommend a 4+ GHz CPU, Intel vs AMD makes no difference. RAM would recommend 8 GB (game uses only about 2.5 GB). Graphics card can do a last gen mid-range and get great performance. Would recommend a Nvidia GTX 1060 (or GTX 970). A monitor I highly recommend a 1440p monitor.

My system for example is a Intel i5 8700k, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, SSD and I run the game at 1440p, max settings and 4x AA enabled and get 200-250 FPS when behind the lines and 125 FPS in heavy battles.

ps... this is very niche insight..... but these omen's are very artificially underpriced on eBay....... walmart is stupid enough to put them out on the floor where they are easily stolen and resold for pennys on the dollar....... so even if you bought all the same parts and built a comp with all the same components you couldn't do it for 600 bucks

S! Chiming in as a Mac user. GPU is obviously the bottleneck. Integrated graphics tend to suck. Apple doesn’t love Nvidia anymore so to play the game you need to have either older Mac with Nvidia GPU - not too old though for obvious reasons - or a new one (guess all the Radeons and Vegas will do a very good job with decent CPU which is usually there). That’s the short answer.

Of course you can try to run the game with lower settings on Intel’s integrated graphics. It’s a lil bit more tricky tho as many chipsets are simply not powerful enough to handle the game in more demanding scenarios (high pop frontline, urban fights). However I feel pretty comfortable with i7 and Iris Pro. 140-160 FPS in the open, 50-60 during bigger fights, not dropping below 35-40 in Brux. Playable. Graphics/resolution not maxed out but still enjoyable and good looking on MBP 15’ screen.

As BMBM said, modern hardware surpassed the game requirements and Macs can handle it well too. Just not the low-watt, Intel HD graphics-equipped Macbooks, Airs, Pros 13s, low-end iMacs etc.

@victorhugoGreat to see you! I kid you not... I am listening to Nirvana's album right now. That is CRAZY coincidental (All Apologies). 

We can get your original game name back if you want btw.

Very cool to see you here checking in. S! 

On 22/03/2019 at 8:12 PM, aismov said:

monitor I highly recommend a 1440p monitor.

Couldn't agree more with this, the improvement is unbelievably obvious as I've just recently upgraded to a 1440p monitor.