Sparre

We should have bridge-building units in Brigades after 1.36 is introduced

5 posts in this topic

From 1.36 will there be 3 Divisions/9 Brigades on each side. I suggest that these mobile Flags will have an Infantry unit that can set up PPO Bridges. Normally would such Infantry unit be called Engineers. Since there will be Engineers in the Garrisons I understand that to have unit with this ability only in the Brigades must it be a separate class under a different name. Or is it possible to have two different Engineer classes, one on the Garrisons that can't build a PPO Bridge, and one Engineer class in the Brigades that can build PPO Bridges? If so is the issue solved.

The point is to not have a Bridge building unit in the Garrisons. Such a unit should only in the mobile Brigades.

First, we can already repair bridges, but only when there's a DO on them. With this unit can we build a Bridge regardless of DO or not.

Secondly, if we can build a Bridge where there are none can we set up surprise attacks or counter-attacks from a rear side where no attack is expected.

Edited by Sparre

I'm in favor of some form of engineering brigade(s) with more engineers that the HCs could put into area/cities/towns where needed.  Something like an HQ?   I would like to see these roles expanded.

I think some sort of pontoon bridge PPO wouldn't be a bad idea but I think we need to think really hard about how it is implemented and how it can be gamed. In RL it was very difficult to create a bridge head since the entire length of river would be defended. I. Game you just drive 1 km N or S of a town and you will never see an enemy defender.

57 minutes ago, aismov said:

I think some sort of pontoon bridge PPO wouldn't be a bad idea but I think we need to think really hard about how it is implemented and how it can be gamed. In RL it was very difficult to create a bridge head since the entire length of river would be defended. I. Game you just drive 1 km N or S of a town and you will never see an enemy defender.

Hmm, don't think you are thinking this through.  Yes it could be 'too easy' to throw up a bridge, but it can also create content in that the bridge could be more easily blown then a conventional road/rail bridge.

I'd say 6-8 charges and/or 2-3 bombs.

So airforces can do them a lot more easily, adhoc targets so no AO business, and you put huge timers on them (10-20m) and only a few bridge building trucks per brigade so not every truck can build them.  More target content, more shaping the game by player action.

My big concern would be overpop advantage in more readily having people available to build these things and eliminating funnel/control points. 

In real life the materials had to be moved, make a version of the truck with the materials that had to be moved to the front for the bridging unit and make the new PPO bridge something that takes a while to build, say a 1/2 hour.  So I have to bring up four special bridging unit trucks with the bridging PPOs and then I have to click z and wait 1/2 hour (15 minutes/10 minutes, some period of time) while the bridge is being built.  Air can come, units can come and attack while they're trying to build the bridge.  Blow up the trucks, blow up the bridge, kill the engineers...  Make a fight out of it...  Planes looking for trucks with pontoons will strafe the hell out of them to keep them from getting to the front, plus these will be unyielding and difficult to move through wooded areas..  You would have to defend them to get them to where you wanted to put the bridge.  Make the trucks go 1/2 speed off road because of the extra weight - 1/3rd speed and unable to move up a hill off road that has anything more than a 15 degree incline.  If you're rolling down hill and the decline is too steep the brakes fail and you roll over the edge and into the river, sploosh the truck sinks with the pontoons attached...

We have over pop map runs now because one group of the population isn't interested in a fair fight, until these individuals stop getting their jollies bashing the heads of baby seals, or CRS builds a mechanism to throttle their ability to control the map it isn't going  to stop, so quit throttling game content because one side doesn't want the game to be fair and balanced.  Add the content. 

Edited by downtown