• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
hans1939

Suggestions, Eh

6 posts in this topic

Retention of New Players

List the Help channel as F1 and have it preselected so noobs can always talk to someone.

Have a button that lets the user spawn into the most populated battle in the game-world as a rifleman.  Alternatively, if this is complex (from a programming perspective), then allow HC to set the FMS or CP the player would spawn into when this button is clicked.

For each type of unit (e.g., infantry, plane, ATG, tank), the user's screen should be populated with useful and sequential information.  For example, upon joining the game world in a tank, the user could see the following data in bright red letters that change when each command is completed:

Press [KEYBIND] to start your engine.
Press [KEYBIND] to close the driver's viewport (to protect the driver).
Press [KEYBIND] to switch to commander.
Press [KEYBIND] to open hatch for better view (exposes commander).
Press [KEYBIND] to use binoculars zoom level one, again for binoculars level two zoom, and a third time to return to regular view.
Press [KEYBIND] to switch to gunner.
Press [KEYBIND] to deploy gunner's optics.
Press [KEYBIND] for changing optic setting, switching ammo, firing, etc.
Press [KEYBIND] to switch to driver.
Press [KEYBIND] to switch engine gears to get moving.
Download this guide for where to hit tanks.  Some tanks cannot destroy other tanks!  See the guide for full details.

FB/AO/CP Changes

FBs that allow for more "up-time" (fighting) could be:

only placed when an AO is set,
indestructible,
moved to within 2.0-3.0 KM of every town, and
added to all towns for all links (e.g, Haybes).

AOs that encourage more dynamic fighting/strategy could:

remove themselves automatically after having not held a CP in the AOed town for a certain period of time (e.g., 30 minutes), and
prevent the re-AOing of a town for at least 1 hour (to simulate a failed attack and/or opportunity for counter-attack).

CPs could be turned into more diverse Zones of Control by:

expanding capping zone substantially (e.g., 15x the area of the CP building itself), and
giving people who are physically inside the CP building a capping bonus (e.g., of 400% over just being elsewhere in the ZOC).

Other Minor Suggestion

Add a "save password" checkbox on the launcher; standard protocol these days is to have a unique (e.g., randomly generated) password for everything.

1 person likes this

This gets my vote for the nicest looking post on these forums. That said I think the text showing the next step to operate a vehicle would be great for recruits. So many new players have a hard time figuring it how to do basic things.

And yes to the idea of saving your password.

We used to have some vehicle tutorials which kind of did that
i wonder what happened to those?
There was one that taught you to drive a tank, and one for flying etc, and they did that, told you what buttons to use.

On 3/28/2019 at 2:05 PM, hans1939 said:

FBs that allow for more "up-time" (fighting) could be:

only placed when an AO is set,
indestructible,
moved to within 2.0-3.0 KM of every town, and
added to all towns for all links (e.g, Haybes).

That is the roughly present distance of FB's to the enemy town.

The towns that do not have them don't because they are too close together, you get towns too close together and poke a couple FB's in the middle
the other guys EWS goes off the second you spawn in to check the FB, not to mention he might be able to nail your FB from the safety of his town
(take dinant/anhee for example, imagine a pair of FB's inbetween the two, you could camp them from town)

Indestructible, maybe not.
Much harder, promoting a combined arms attack perhaps

On 3/28/2019 at 2:05 PM, hans1939 said:

Add a "save password" checkbox on the launcher; standard protocol these days is to have a unique (e.g., randomly generated) password for everything.

Ya know, we had that way back, and for the life of me i can not remember why it was removed?

save password is still functional on the Mac.. Not sure why it changed on the PC launcher

Gophur and Doc had a discussion in the old Beta-forum concluding that the players forgot their password because of the "Save Password" function. They decided to remove it because of that. If Bloo is still around might he remember more.

For some reason didn't they remove it for the Mac. Could be that after RickB left did they only had a player who's name now escapes me (I think it was Awhulf) volunteered to work par time for CRS. Maybe he "missed" the instructions. Something I'm very grateful to.

Edited by Sparre

PW use to be saved awhile back, removed due to a member who got banned after doing bad things, logging thru someone else's pc that had saved pw.