Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamieg

Will points be awarded for overstocking?

11 posts in this topic

As a means of encouraging players to drive  from a to b to help overstock items for an attack or defence is it possible to award points?

15 for a tank

5 for infantry?

this would provide an incentive to get squads involved to get them up the leaderboard?

I doubt it . It has not been discussed as far a I know . It's possible it might be integrated later on but like repairing ai , no points are given there either .

It is support for your side or the attack that is planned that is incentive for now.

There doesn't seem to be enough actual humans to make the infantry overstock easy to do.  Maybe come up with a way to have the trucks transporting overstock infantry, modeled as AI that only ride trucks or get killed if attacked .  A human driver can then transport a helpful amount of infantry, enticing those who like to play that scenerio a reward for their effort.  The flip side would be anyone liking the interdiction fight, will get some decent kills if those trucks are unguarded. I think the new supply actually opens many tactical problems that will be a lot of fun to solve.  

On 4/24/2019 at 8:40 PM, thomboi said:

There doesn't seem to be enough actual humans to make the infantry overstock easy to do.  Maybe come up with a way to have the trucks transporting overstock infantry, modeled as AI that only ride trucks or get killed if attacked .  A human driver can then transport a helpful amount of infantry, enticing those who like to play that scenerio a reward for their effort.  The flip side would be anyone liking the interdiction fight, will get some decent kills if those trucks are unguarded. I think the new supply actually opens many tactical problems that will be a lot of fun to solve.  

The one problem I see with that system if you can very easily unbalance the game by having a couple guys who love doing nothing but running trucks all day. Its similar to what we saw back in the day with RDP where a small handful of guys were able to decide the gameplay of thousands by running a very particular type of RDP bombing tactic. By allowing AI trucking you create a huge multiplier where one person, be it out of true enjoyment or simply a near-pathologic desire to "win" (usually the latter case), will spend hours upon hours grinding this out and ruining gameplay in the process.

Forcing players to physically transported creates real tradeoffs with benefits and consequences that acts as a natural check to prevent the system from spiraling out of control into a complete parody of what was originally intended. We saw exactly this happen with RDP before we had any good EWS and a small group of players would skirt the map edges and decimate factory production which resulted in an arms race of players coming with every more elaborate ways to avoid the fight, and the eventual victory going to the side with the greater number of fanatics who were willing to spend hours staring at featureless terrain on their way to their 180th bombing run.

Some things need to be worked for and earned. If you want to attack other players with a 2:1 supply advantage you better have to work damn hard for it. Even 15-20 SMGs in a town down to Rifles will make a huge difference. That is a 10 minute ride x2 for a squad with solid numbers on in a night.

I take the word "fanatic" in regards to RDP bombing as a compliment :P

Helping your side "win" the campaign was part of it but doing it with friends was the larger driving factor.

And from a truck fanatics perspective I also think I mostly did these RDP-missions to have a PUBG moment of play with my friends (only one life). Meaning, the 4hour truck ride meant that "the stake I took" made incentives for my squaddies to show up with a troop transport plane (with no parachute infantry!). They knew that a single 232 showing up (or 109) could mean ALL dead, and no win. The adrenaline rushes knowing that all that time could be instantly wasted... the laughs when someone misplaced a charge, blowing himself/herself up... If you only have one life makes you play the game differently!

If you ask me the game is pretty well balanced. My squad never managed to blow more than 2 factories up at any given time. Even blowing 2 factories up as an allied db9 flyer needs 12 (twelve) flights, realistically that is about 8 hours for one single person, meaning it is about the pace a factory rebuilds itself. Meaning you still need a TEAM effort to affect RDP.

And now with the possibility to oversupply Garrisons you get a new (more easy) option, but that still need a TEAM effort. A truck full of smg.s from a nearby town WILL give the same adrenaline rush, just without that 4hour drive. But yes: this means a squad will be away from the front for about 20minutes. About the same time needed as bustin an fb.

I also could agree overstocking should give some points, giving me as NCO an argument for my recruits to level up. Already today we NCO:s do "boring missions" like shooting at bridges with a fairmile, just to get a 5point. So instead if points could be given for tasks that REALLY move the map, then of course my squad will do that instead.

Today the most lucrative type of missions (point-wise) is sitting in a cap defending, and if you kill an enemy without going outside, that gives a lot of points. Although for a recruit that is very hard to do, and best experience for a new recruit is being in the field having time to adapt to sounds, map and controls. Sitting on a truck gives time to chat, and all vets gets a chance to explain how the game works, or stories about how this particular truck driver often killed all on truck by hitting a berm... :P

On April 26, 2019 at 6:37 PM, SNIPER62 said:

I take the word "fanatic" in regards to RDP bombing as a compliment :P

Helping your side "win" the campaign was part of it but doing it with friends was the larger driving factor.

Lol S!

I have nothing against players dedicating themselves to win the map... It's a competitive game and we should work to have that. To slightly rephrase I didn't mean fanatic in any negative connotation. I was simply referring to having a gameplay design principle where a single player can't become a 20x or 100x for multiplier since it opens up the whole system for abuse if there happens to be a few let's call them "overly dedicated" players.

For example if you can resupply town by spawning a truck that has 10 AI infantry aboard you can 100% overstock a tow by yourself in ~45 mins, get a side that has a couple of these types of players at it can be a deciding factor.

But if you make players physically sit on the truck for the 5 minute rearline drive you both create risks (getting straffed), incentives (oversupplying), trade offs (we could be attacking something else), and most important of all it's something that SCALES LINEARLY with player effort. The last thing I think is critical from a gameplay design standpoint since it's an internal check against player abuse. The more players on a side resupply the bigger their effect, but at the cost of fewer guys at the frontline attacking/defending. But if you allow force multipliers via say AI infantry in a truck one player is worth 10, 5 players are worth 50. The scale quickly becomes unsustainable since 5 dedicated guys get all the reward (resupply 50 infantry) with minimal risk (only 5 guys are off the front line doing logistics).

Effectiveky it creates a situation where a few "overly dedicated" players can break the whole supply mechanic. Which is why on design principle, IMHO, think resupply must always be 1) manual and 2) in a 1:1 player ratio.

Edited by aismov

On 4/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, aismov said:

The one problem I see with that system if you can very easily unbalance the game by having a couple guys who love doing nothing but running trucks all day. Its similar to what we saw back in the day with RDP where a small handful of guys were able to decide the gameplay of thousands by running a very particular type of RDP bombing tactic. By allowing AI trucking you create a huge multiplier where one person, be it out of true enjoyment or simply a near-pathologic desire to "win" (usually the latter case), will spend hours upon hours grinding this out and ruining gameplay in the process.

Forcing players to physically transported creates real tradeoffs with benefits and consequences that acts as a natural check to prevent the system from spiraling out of control into a complete parody of what was originally intended. We saw exactly this happen with RDP before we had any good EWS and a small group of players would skirt the map edges and decimate factory production which resulted in an arms race of players coming with every more elaborate ways to avoid the fight, and the eventual victory going to the side with the greater number of fanatics who were willing to spend hours staring at featureless terrain on their way to their 180th bombing run.

Some things need to be worked for and earned. If you want to attack other players with a 2:1 supply advantage you better have to work damn hard for it. Even 15-20 SMGs in a town down to Rifles will make a huge difference. That is a 10 minute ride x2 for a squad with solid numbers on in a night.

Airborg made a mockery of bombing and demonstrated it from both sides.  The guy could fly 3 bombers at once  and alter the campaign. 

On 4/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, Kilemall said:

Airborg made a mockery of bombing and demonstrated it from both sides.  The guy could fly 3 bombers at once  and alter the campaign. 

There a some guys who can do more than 3 lol.  

23 hours ago, Capco said:

There a some guys who can do more than 3 lol.  

Lol yeah been seeing that this map with RDP. Guys set autopilot and do stuff with second account. Overshoot target, turn around and bomb the factories.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0