• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
sorella

Naming Missions

7 posts in this topic

many new/steam/ftp players automatically choose to spawn on the mission with the most players/fullest bar/top of the Active Battles tab.  this is often contradictory as some of these missions are DFMS out of town, or fb busts, or fb defense or have a certain target/goal so these players end up at a bridge not knowing its a repair mission, or at a fb bust in the middle of nowhere. 

once the trickle starts the bar fills up, the mission moves higher on the list and even more ppl spawn. 

SUGGESTION:

> minimum ui fix > currently missions to fb just say town name - if target is FB let it say 'Lokeren FB' or something indicative 
>maximum ui fix > allow MLS to short form describe their mission in 10/20/48 characters > ie (origin) Dendermonde AB // (target) Lokeren FB Bust  or more appropriate, colourful descriptions - such as - SW ZOC ATG GUN LINE MISSION or  SUPER SECRET SNEAKY CAP THE SPAWN MISSION or IF  you DON"T HAVE A SATCHEL CHARGE DONT SPAWN HERE 

ALSO WHY? 
> do not players, including many vets, not read mission orders either (i) at the top of the screen in big green letters if a ML puts orders up and/or (ii) if a ML does write orders these can be read on the 'mission briefing screen' lower left BEFORE one spawns in - or chooses not to if the orders dont suit the players intent
> these written Mission Orders could/should also be made much more prominent either on the mission briefing screen, or the spawn in top of game screen text or both 

4 people like this

A great idea! Would be a really helpful solution until which time the UI is completely over-hauled. Likely has long term usefulness even then.

I like this idea a lot. One alternative could be that when we put in an .orders will it also show, at least the first 20-25 letters.

The Headline for the mission could be displayd when we hovering the mouse over the mission.

Great idea. I accidentally spawn into dFMS all the time or other rando missions because I do t always know. And no, the solution shouldn't be "just ask over mission chat." That is a slow and inefficient process, and something that a new player won't understand.

Moving forward (WWIIOL 2.0) I would hope the spawning would be all map based with the spawn points marked/plus text descriptions on a map and you just double click it. Yes I know the players will raise the spying issue but you don't have to necessarily have a point icon with exact location, it could be for example a circle with a 500m radius that gives an approximate location.

they are good ideas, but ultimately the weak link in them is us.

count how many mission you find where the info just says orders, or rawr or something silly.
or the mission target was chosen to manipulate FMS proximity to get the FMS near something else that could not normally be targeted
with no orders set to let you know what is going on.

we have to start putting the info in on large scale before the ability to have labels does much good
we also have to stop and take the time to read them, which is the other side of the coin.
sometimes i will set up an fms for some kind of rear guard, possibly boring no action mission, and i will put that in .orders
but ultimately people will not stop a sec to read it, and spawn in and then be unhappy with the boring mission over on the far flank where there is no action

we gotta stop and take time to type and to read both.