• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
matamor

Promising

57 posts in this topic

Played an hour, exciting. Lot of skirmishes, if you rifle few lmgs, you win. If you smg 26 eis in a single sortie and one on your teammate snipes 30 of them, your sorties mean something again....

I feel that I look 12 yearzzz younger tonight.

Even my toes look more beautiful than ever. How yours?

2 people like this

41 minutes ago, matamor said:

Played an hour, exciting. Lot of skirmishes, if you rifle few lmgs, you win. If you smg 26 eis in a single sortie and one on your teammate snipes 30 of them, your sorties mean something again....

Did you update your old spreadsheet? It needs some love as well, to feel young again. 

My overall impressions after one night were positive as well.

2 hours ago, matamor said:

Yep. Really a breath of fresh air after 12 years of holding my breath. Attrition is something that was desperately needed. Now we have lots of expanded gameplay rolls. Where pre-1.36 with ToE/Brigades all you could do is try to cap the AB bunker as fast as possible, that was pretty much it since supply was effectively infinite.

Now gameplay rolls like players trying to play it slow and take out EI without dying matters.

Resupply the town to keep up supply matters.

Playing fast and capping CPs/AB still matters.

Hanging back by the FMS with tanks/ATGs and letting EI come to you matters.

Bombing the city to kill EI matters.

Not having tank support and having your own infantry mowed down matters.

Sniping to take out high-value infantry units (LMG, SMG) matters

Funny how such a little thing like attirition and limited supply completely changes the way battles are fought. Now you don't have to AO hop, you can just settle in for a fun see-saw battle knowing full well that every EI you kill is one less than the magical 250 or however many in the spawn pool is making a DIFFERENCE in taking a town.

LOL.... 12 years in the making. But big S! to CRS 2.0 for having the guts to rip apart what was the most sacrosanct temple CRS 1.0 ever created! If I could afford a 3rd Builder account I would :)

4 people like this

9 hours ago, aismov said:

Yep. Really a breath of fresh air after 12 years of holding my breath. Attrition is something that was desperately needed. Now we have lots of expanded gameplay rolls. Where pre-1.36 with ToE/Brigades all you could do is try to cap the AB bunker as fast as possible, that was pretty much it since supply was effectively infinite.

Now gameplay rolls like players trying to play it slow and take out EI without dying matters.

Funny how such a little thing like attirition and limited supply completely changes the way battles are fought. Now you don't have to AO hop, you can just settle in for a fun see-saw battle knowing full well that every EI you kill is one less than the magical 250 or however many in the spawn pool is making a DIFFERENCE in taking a town.

LOL.... 12 years in the making. But big S! to CRS 2.0 for having the guts to rip apart what was the most sacrosanct temple CRS 1.0 ever created! If I could afford a 3rd Builder account I would :)

Post of the day. 

I guess a mini campaign started yesterday, #162. Tiers progress something like every 24 hours. So a little more real than intermission but prob will only last so-long i guess.

13 hours ago, aismov said:

Could have been done with smaller brigade lists, I put on many threads about Less Is More.  They just didn't do it.

Enjoy your little ToE taunts, but we lost something and what we gained could have been achieved other ways.

2 people like this

17 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Could have been done with smaller brigade lists, I put on many threads about Less Is More.  They just didn't do it.

Enjoy your little ToE taunts, but we lost something and what we gained could have been achieved other ways.

They did that once. But then you get conflicts between hc and pb about whether to move brigades or not to fill the supply gap.

27 minutes ago, monsjoex said:

They did that once. But then you get conflicts between hc and pb about whether to move brigades or not to fill the supply gap.

Very true, and having lived the pain of the RDP system in 'full blossom' I can definitely say that the concept of players taking it in the shorts for having less resources devoted to their favorite equipment 'for the team' for any length of time when HC players could alleviate it but choose not to does not work well. 

Heck same thing with why ToEs was so important to the Allies and why the Rats have coded the 'nation switch' function to garrisons.  It remains to be seen whether the Brit north/French south recreates this pain and if the 'set nationality' coding will alleviate it.

I look at that sort of thing as an aspect of 'playing smart', both players playing to the challenges of being 'forlorn hopes' without top equipment against the odds to gain a bigger advantage elsewhere, and the HCs playing competently to cash in on the players' sacrifice.  Tough sell you'll get both of those at the same time consistently.  The key here is trust both ways, and that's something people have to work at and earn, not automatically given.

Heh, a simple prediction based on this past experience- the garrison spawnlists as they exist now and with current population will end up either bigger or with faster trickle/resupply timers, because players are going to complain that even with 2 guaranteed AOs they won't get access to their weapons on their terms, and 3 moving divisions can't cover all the attrited towns.  A return of the rescue force/overstock column will increase this pressure as supply gets hammered two towns deep and the backline towns get hollowed out fast.

Some people will conclude that it's counterproductive to drive in rescue or push failing attacks because of the supply risks and no rescue coverage from ToEs.  The latter will create more HC resentment as HC  'doesn't fight to the last man' and whinery will ensue, while others will whine when HCs DON'T pull AOs and cause supply fails.

Funny part, Proximity AOs as removing HC from the challenge of any sort of management would likely mean AOs dropping faster cause people will leave the moment things get hard and the enemy has tier advantage, and no ability for HC or whoever to pull Proximity AOs means a set of players or even greentags can keep an AO up against the will and interest of a side and drain towns to death.

3 people like this

No more softcap

No more JWBS

No more unlimited flags stacks pilling

No more people yelling and crying to HC on channels asking to move new supplies in

It's a win.

Image result for it's a win animated gif

1 person likes this

Can we get satchel charges like the Finns in the movie.

I get shot a lot with the need to be motionless delay setting down the charge on  a MS.

On 4/13/2019 at 4:49 PM, matamor said:

No more softcap

No more JWBS

No more unlimited flags stacks pilling

No more people yelling and crying to HC on channels asking to move new supplies in

It's a win.

Image result for it's a win animated gif

It's only a win because one side runs out of supply. That's how almost every town has fallen, on both sides, so far in beta.  Or a town starts with so little supply its bound to fall. Anyone who thinks about it  would just call that just another version of softcapping. 

Also, don't know where you've been this 'mini campaign' but all I hear on chat is people crying 'we need supply' - but no use asking HC, there's just no supply. If players aren't crying about supply, they're leaving AOs and DOs (or not showing up in the first place) because their favourite piece of equipment isn't available. 

Its the same reason many AOs get pulled real quick - running out of supply. And if you've noticed, no supply is the same reason the same towns changes hands now, 2 or 3 times a day.  Grandpre, Givet, Stenay, Kalmhout anyone? And the same reason there have been so many .overrun calls in those towns. Lots of people may like this - fine. But its not WW2 and its not winning. Its the least sophisticated type of warfare possible - attrition. 

Its basically become as simple as having 2 garrison links vs one and any town will fall. Only to be taken back 6/8/12 hours later. I don't call that winning. I call it checkers. 

Image result for playing checkers gif

Edited by sorella
2 people like this

Stenay...

Rans 27 kills-Garand

Bus 23 kills-Bar (5 matamoan kills=priceless)

oh my stats!

Still too many bugs for full camp. Good work so far CRS.

We old and set in our ways, but we're still having fun playing and doing squad stuff, wish a few more would come back, 250's should be dominating the playing field with there numbers, so chess or checkers doesn't matter when the fun factor kicks in...

2 hours ago, bus0 said:

Bus 23 kills-Bar (5 matamoan kills=priceless)

oh my stats!

Said the guy that has only 1 capture in 749 minutes of play

lol

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, matamor said:

Said the guy that has only 1 capture in 749 minutes of play

lol

Tell the truth now, you loved every second of it...

Come now Mata its a mini camp, set for testing bugs and such, do you really care that much about the win.

BTW you should be sending kudo's too Rans for an excellent rifle mission. He needs the luv.

On April 20, 2019 at 1:45 AM, sorella said:

Its the same reason many AOs get pulled real quick - running out of supply. And if you've noticed, no supply is the same reason the same towns changes hands now, 2 or 3 times a day.  Grandpre, Givet, Stenay, Kalmhout anyone? And the same reason there have been so many .overrun calls in those towns. Lots of people may like this - fine. But its not WW2 and its not winning. Its the least sophisticated type of warfare possible - attrition.

So we have towns changing hands multiple times over the course of a day with dynamic fights and desperate defenses and successeful counter-attack occuring? Sounds like fun gameplay to me compared to the old system of mindlessly zerging the AB Bunker until you finally capture it.

Now I can hang back and snipe high value infantry if thats my thing. Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can interdict ETs trying to resupply/support a town. Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can set up firezones and wear down the defenders.  Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can STILL zerg the AB Bunker if thats my thing. Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can do logistics/trucking work if thats what I enjoy doing. Knowing I'm making a difference.

Yes, with supply/attirtion you may not always find your favorite weapon. But it expands gameplay roles and makes for more dynamic fights. Its the give-and-take. Have infinite supply via brigades and all you can hope to do is rush the bunker... anything else is a waste of time. Now we actually cater to more than one gameplay style.

EDIT: which is why I also think we need to move on to proximity AOs, that way players who for example really like one weapon system or type of combat role can create their own action and not hope that HC puts down the right type of AO. At the end of the day it's a game that people play for fun, and we can't forget that.

But I also think from a gameplay design perspective having limitless or effectively-near limitless supply is very corrosive for gameplay. Yes, there will be times you can't get your favorite weapon and that sucks, but the flip side is limited supply/attrition creates far more gameplay opportunities than it takes away.

Yes I know I'm biased since im a pure all-around player. One mission im bombing bridges in a He111, next I'm fighting with a Stug, followed by rushing a bunker with an SMG, followed by an 88 sortie. Supply never was a big deal for me since I play pretty much every unit in all the branches. So I u de stand where say a dedicated Tiger driver or SMG man is coming from. But I think my basic premise on gameplay design still stands.

Edited by aismov
4 people like this

Totally agree Asimov..1.36 (when CRS fix all the bugs which is WHY  we are playing the Beta) opens up gameplay a lot.

On 4/21/2019 at 0:59 PM, aismov said:

So we have towns changing hands multiple times over the course of a day with dynamic fights and desperate defenses and successeful counter-attack occuring? Sounds like fun gameplay to me compared to the old system of mindlessly zerging the AB Bunker until you finally capture it.

Now I can hang back and snipe high value infantry if thats my thing. Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can interdict ETs trying to resupply/support a town. Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can set up firezones and wear down the defenders.  Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can STILL zerg the AB Bunker if thats my thing. Knowing I'm making a difference.

Now I can do logistics/trucking work if thats what I enjoy doing. Knowing I'm making a difference.

These are all great things. For the game and for most players. Every single one of them has to do with the same thing. Less supply. 

Nothing to do with AOs. HC. TOEs. Squads. Proximity AOs. Historical Tiers. All to do with less supply. Static garrisons also provide the 'bunker doesn't matter much anymore, nor do the docks' factor. But in the end, its less supply and that's all it is. In fact, you could probably remove 'zerging the bunker' from your list, since the most notable thing, at least to me, since 1.36, is the return of hardcore camping - fms, veh spawns, barracks and fbs to accomplish more attrition - and of course, better stats - and a notable reluctance to zerg anything. 

And in the end, as in the beginning (2001-2018) population will move the map. Not attrition.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, sorella said:

These are all great things. For the game and for most players. Every single one of them has to do with the same thing. Less supply. 

Nothing to do with AOs. HC. TOEs. Squads. Proximity AOs. Historical Tiers. All to do with less supply. Static garrisons also provide the 'bunker doesn't matter much anymore, nor do the docks' factor. But in the end, its less supply and that's all it is. In fact, you could probably remove 'zerging the bunker' from your list, since the most notable thing, at least to me, since 1.36, is the return of hardcore camping - fms, veh spawns, barracks and fbs to accomplish more attrition - and of course, better stats - and a notable reluctance to zerg anything. 

And in the end, as in the beginning (2001-2018) population will move the map. Not attrition.

This is exactly what some of us have been saying and predicting for over 2 years now.  Although the change in the bunker's significance was something I did not expect.  

The map may be more stable and less reliant on HC (overall a good thing) but the gameplay will be more bland as a result, and now HC doesn't have the same ability to alleviate player supply issues.  Things will get even more "interesting" with proximity AOs.  

A few years ago CRS tried to listen to the PB and incorporate some supply cuts to amplify attrition.  They got crucified for it (although tbf they really didn't do it correctly and they reverted without really trying harder).  Still quite ironic.  

1 person likes this

As any previous change I see both supporters and detractors. Time will show the real pros and against of this 1.36

What I don't see are either "heroe" nor "builder" numbers increasing.

Apparently 1.36 and roadmap are not enough.

That and in-game numbers are the real problem.

1 hour ago, piska250 said:

I hope our 1.36 Hybrid Supply release and Roadmap are good enough. If it is not... I really don't have great answers on what more we could do within our current resource limitation(s) to move the game forward and fix some long standing issues.

In-game numbers should be bolstered by May 1st as I mentioned in the article today where we will deploy a full scale Welcome Back Soldier program for both organic and steam users.

https://www.wwiionline.com/community-notes/reports/rat-chat-wbs-inbound-community-notes

5 people like this

1 hour ago, piska250 said:

As any previous change I see both supporters and detractors. Time will show the real pros and against of this 1.36

What I don't see are either "heroe" nor "builder" numbers increasing.

Agree that only time will tell - and I'm sure time will also allow tweaks and adjustments to 1.36 from CRS observation and player feedback. Over-analysis (including mine) of what it might all mean is somewhat speculative - the real, new, lessons of adaptive gameplay are being learned in-game, right now, during the mini-campaign. Check out Ironwolf's posts on supply, town links and snakes for some of that. 

Must applaud and thank CRS and volunteers for all the work, and the having the guts to make changes to evolve or even devolve the game - this mini-campaign has been eerily reminiscent of the early years of AB supply, attrition, resupply and fast town cap flips back and forth.

It feels different and more exciting and it seems many many players, especially vets, find it more satisfying and meaningful as far as individual and squad impact on the game. This is a good thing. Or at least a new thing.  Let's see how it plays with the really new players and FTPs.

Again in the end the in-game numbers are mostly what matter and the mini-camp hasn't had them too much. A lot of wait and see - and/or 'please lets get to a "real" campaign' to see what really happens and what impact the changes really do have.  

Our small squad is re-upping to hero/builders at the end of the month. Hope more will do the same. 

1 person likes this

51 minutes ago, XOOM said:

I hope our 1.36 Hybrid Supply release and Roadmap are good enough. If it is not... I really don't have great answers on what more we could do within our current resource limitation(s) to move the game forward and fix some long standing issues.

In-game numbers should be bolstered by May 1st as I mentioned in the article today where we will deploy a full scale Welcome Back Soldier program for both organic and steam users.

https://www.wwiionline.com/community-notes/reports/rat-chat-wbs-inbound-community-notes

last WBS had people walking from FB's and/or getting brutally camped

the current game has a stable map, but the gameplay isn't engaging. especially to people logging in for an hour or less. most notably in tz1.

if you guys are going to rely on a sim/reenactor crowd, there's a history of of these genres flopping.