Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lonepilgim

noob plane take off

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone..I`m new and yet I`ve opted for a career in WWII as a pilot..it should work out..I have a keyboard...except for the 100 + crashes.

When`s the best time to release the tail lock when attempting to take off  ?  Thank you  

Edited by lonepilgim
sp

Keep the tail locked when you are taking off. The tail lock releases the little tail wheel to let it swing side to side... it is meant to allow the plane to maneuver in tight places during taxiing when it is unlocked. For takeoff you should always keep it locked.

I would also highly recommend getting a joystick. Although you can fly with mouse and keyboard, this is a simulation, so your game experience will also be much better with one. You don't have to get anything expensive. A cheap Logitech joystick... just make sure you get one that allows your to twist the stick (its called the Z-axis... make sure it has one!) to control the rudder on the plane.

I would recommend the logitech extreme 3D pro... it costs $35 and is a great entry level stick (its what I started out on myself)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102204

First of all, welcome to the world of flying in WWIIOL. You will die countless times and you will like it. Also, I don't think you will be able to fly in a coordinated manner let alone win a dogfight without a joystick.

With that out of the way, always lock your tail wheel before taking off. The tail wheel should be unlocked only for doing tight turns while taxiing. For normal turns, you can use left or right brake to steer your plane with the tail wheel locked.

EDIT

If you should decide to buy the Logitech 3D pro as recommended by aismov, there are a couple of config settings to help coping with the involuntary movement in the  Z-Axis (twisting of the joystick, normally mapped to rudders). Contact me here on the boards if you need help with that.

Edited by rote7

Thanks..I`ll look into it..until then can you tell me how to reverse the stick settings ?  When I move the mouse back it goes forward and I crash..when I move the mouse forward the stick moves back which to me is backwards . Thank you

also personally i would suggest shying away from Xbox PS4 style game pads
they will work for a ground vehicle, but the axis on them is terribly short throw for an aircraft game that does not have an arcade style control mode
would be terribly frustrating.

2 minutes ago, lonepilgim said:

Thanks..I`ll look into it..until then can you tell me how to reverse the stick settings ?  When I move the mouse back it goes forward and I crash..when I move the mouse forward the stick moves back which to me is backwards . Thank you

when you map that axis, i believe you hold CONTROL to reverse it

If you are going to practice with mouse and keyboard, i might suggest playing a bit with the troop transport planes
as those have a relaxed flight model so that non pilots can fly para drops.
They will be a lot more forgiving to get the hang of things a bit until you get a stick

Edited by Merlin51

What Merlin said... Cold CTRL when you move the mouse to reverse the axis.

Oh and look into joining a squad to... Get on voice comms that way and learn quickly.

Im biased but I recommend the 31st Wrecking Crew :)

you get a sweet 401k plan when you join.

and a lunchbox with a Paris in 24 hours sticker.

1 person likes this

and practice on the training server, so you don't waste supply

1 hour ago, imded said:

and practice on the training server, so you don't waste supply

that I understand..thanks for the help..if I get one in the air I`m headed for berlin

19 minutes ago, lonepilgim said:

once again I`m confused..where do I find a troop transport in training..I coonot find one

Troop transports are in the airborne divisions found in the army persona. Not the air persona.

I have never used tail lock and have flown quite a bit,  overrated ability?

It's automatically set to lock. Back in 2001-2002 it was set to unlocked on spawn, which caused quite a bit of crashes :D 

On 4/13/2019 at 6:00 PM, aismov said:

Troop transports are in the airborne divisions found in the army persona. Not the air persona.

but how can I train on one w/o going into the game and crashing over and over?

You can practice offline. or on the training server - doesn't matter what u kill there

On 4/18/2019 at 1:15 AM, goreblimey said:

You can practice offline. or on the training server - doesn't matter what u kill there

I`m not sure what you mean by practicing offline..when I enter training as infantry I don`t see any tropp transports..there`s no sense in spawning in game and flying until I get the hang of this

You need to have a mission at a airborne garrison, you will have the option of para inf or the transport plane. If that is what your trying to do ?

8 hours ago, lonepilgim said:

I`m not sure what you mean by practicing offline..when I enter training as infantry I don`t see any tropp transports..there`s no sense in spawning in game and flying until I get the hang of this

96adac3d00a03fb47c76a967f996ee31.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0