Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dre21

Making a mission seems complicated now

25 posts in this topic

I'm not digging the new how to make a  mission .

To be all honest if I would be a new player I would have already given up.

I have been with this game for a long time and this is actually the 1st time where I get frustrated trying to figure out how to make one. 

It needs to be refined ( my opinion) once you click onto join Garrison another drop down window should appear that say make mission then choose facility CP , AB or FB .

Once you click onto CPs it should highlight them , then one can choose , same goes with AB ( especially if there are multiple ABs in a town and then the same with FBs that are connected with said town ) 

To make it a simple process as possible. 

As I said this is the 1st time ever where the game in the HUD set up frustrates me so much so that it actually is taking the fun away for me to play . Again as stated my opinion. But I have heard other say they are either having a bit of a challenge with it themselves or are in the same boat as myself.

3 people like this

I believe everyone part of CRS2.0 agrees. Bmbm has designed a great concept for the new UI, and its work is going to be resumed soon :)

1 person likes this

Making a mission has always been overly complicated ... and next to impossible for a new player to do unassisted. I agree it should br a priority improvement as it leaves new players confused and frustrated before they even get into action. That being said, how did it get worsecwith 1.36? Seems the same to me (minus all the flags).

Improving the horrid UI is more important than integrated voice comms IMO. No reason why this aspect of the game needs to be an adventure.

That's is on par with spawning into an FMS when you meant to be elsewhere because you forgot to uncheck the little box. It takes the fun away especially when you are trying to spawn somewhere to quickly interdict something.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, choad said:

Making a mission has always been overly complicated ... and next to impossible for a new player to do unassisted. I agree it should br a priority improvement as it leaves new players confused and frustrated before they even get into action. That being said, how did it get worsecwith 1.36? Seems the same to me (minus all the flags).

Improving the horrid UI is more important than integrated voice comms IMO. No reason why this aspect of the game needs to be an adventure.

Not only new, the old system was maybe not great but for sure easier then now. If you would ask me now how to make one I could not even tell you, I think the few I mama fed so far where by accident where I by luck clicked the right button. 

Glad to hear they are working on a fix, or improved version. One thing I don't understand is why does everything all of a sudden get changed and not in baby steps?

One can't tell me that we could not have kept the brigades and Flags but have them as we have now a set Brigade /Garrison in town ,with the Attrition factor in game and only have the HQ Brigades in the rear as a movable unit for rear supply . Eliminating the Brigade bouncing around .

Missions and spawning has always been clunky.

My own personal bias is that there should be no missions per se but rather spawning based on location... You look at the map and simply click where you want to spawn. That way it's obvious for new players how to get in the game. Take it one step farthur and make the AB look more prominent on the map so new players know what to click on.

4 people like this

It's interesting that old CRS thought it best to not allow brand new players to make their own missions.  For those who don't remember, before the rank overhaul there were various priorities of missions (1 through 3), and you needed to be a Lieutenant just to make a P3 mission.  

I guess a complicated mission system doesn't matter when it was designed for vets only.

Why create a mission?

click the city, click on the AB, CP or  FB (if active)  and automatically goes to the spaw list... and play!

Edited by enemytank

I believe the mission Leader role helps focus the sometimes small population toward the battle, especially new player who otherwise might end up wandering in Lala towns just shooting at walls or leaving the game for lack of enemies to shoot at.... Just because they were not "guided" toward the main battles.

But I like Enemytank's idea of just clicking on a CP and then accessing the spawn list from that. Super simple...

So... Dilema… Decisions.... So many ways to setup this game... Got to love it. Kinda unique.

New UI has been a priority for CRS, just less of a priority than 1.36. It would naturally include changes to how missions are made.

6 hours ago, ZEBBEEE said:

I believe everyone part of CRS2.0 agrees. Bmbm has designed a great concept for the new UI, and its work is going to be resumed soon :)

It's interesting that only BMBM gets credit, esp. for conceptual design. =/

I still live in hope for a future HTML5 based ui where we can incorporate targetted advertising etc., but of course we still need the fundamental underlying code @BMBMis working on.

As a unabashed proponent of in game voice comms I still accept that the ui must be the next big upgrade.

Spawning into the gameworld should be the easiest thing in game to do. Click which town and Depot or AB, select unit, spawn. As we go with a mission based solution which occasionally is actually used as such, that needs to be final click. the only delay to this 3-4 click system should be 'create mission' if none already exists and that open a mission panel like the one I saw touted recently (which looked good and reminded me of zebbees old proposal which I always liked).

Getting where you want to spawn and  what choices exist in the spawnlists are the only thing the average grunt is interested in. Keep it simple.

Edited by catfive

The new UI is a high priority to complete, it is being worked on.

3 people like this

@catfiveI would make it even easier... just cut out the mission all together and simply have everyone in town on one big mission automatically, BUT allow custom radio chat channels for players who want to form ad-hoc battlefield units.

Map > Choose Depot/AB > Choose Weapon > Spawn

Keep is simple! During an attack or defense we all use the same chat channel anyway (Target) and Mission chat is rarely if ever used. Instead of tying players to a mission, tie them to the parent spawn point. In WWIIOL every spawn point boils down to what town is it associated with. So every FB, depot, dock, etc is associated with a specific town. What even better there is really no extra coding required since we already have the ORIGIN and TARGET channel.  If players feel the need to make custom ad-hoc radio channels to simulate what the MISSION channel does, simply increase the available custom radio channel numbers from 1-1000 that way you never run out of custom radio channels.

Back in the CRS 1.0 days the resistance to using the "click on map to spawn" system was that new players would have no idea how to find the action. To that I say there are ways to design the UI to make it clear as day where the action is. Something as simple as the player activity overlay we have in BEGM is a start, as well as making facilities like the AB or a contested town stand out more. To take it one step farther you can have a "Standard UI" and a "Pro UI" mode where the vets can have a more cut down version more akin to what we have now and not have to be babied to "hey... this is an AB that is under attack, you should spawn in here!"

I fully understand where you are coming from but some people actually do use missions for specific goals and thy need to be able to vary target, spawn point etc for operational reasons which is why I suggested a further click for selecting mission. Potentially I could see the 'one big mission' working out fine but some players need to see goals and 'mission parameters' for whatever their reasons are, sometimes we did in squad too and they were indeed useful to have so I gave in and accepted they're a necessity for some. I don't need them, nor do most vets I suspect but if they are still being used by some and they want to keep them I could accept a couple of extra clicks. I am a great supportr of keep it simple as I'm sure you're aware but I can be persuaded to accept very minor interruptions in spawning if it means more mission orientated players get to keep their preferred system. STill it needs to be as 'few clicks as possible!'

1 person likes this

On 4/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, SNIPER62 said:

The new UI is a high priority to complete, it is being worked on.

Can't come fast enough all I'm saying, one time it works to make a mission then next time it doesn't , a exercise in frustration.  I get mad and irritated about it every single time I try. 

Should be as simple as click onto town /garrison , tab pops up say want to make mission  or would you like to join (then list of missions available ) done.

Or what others have proposed here.

The way I see it we only need "missions" for two reasons 

1) dedicated mission chat channel

2) required by game for FMS placement restrictions etc

I think a lot of this can be done by simply having custom chat channels and geographic restrictions don't need to be tied to missions at all but simply be part of hard coded game rules (i.e. can set FMS to enemy FB from any mission, not just an FB attack mission). A good example of this is the old resupply system which required a dedicated mission versus the system now where you just despawn from any mission.

Dunno, to me it just seems that missions are superfluous. They are a good idea in theory, but in practice nobody really uses it (not even my squad, we just do everything over squad chat or voice). Might as well just junk it and avoid an extra layer of confusion and less clicking.

I'd prefer an ingame org (working title Task Forces) that had multiple spawn points listed, possibly over more then one AO/DO, but kept people together in comms.  You join the TF, instant comms and direction.  Squads are default their own TF.

I have capped nine spawnables since WBS started only ONE had a mission posted in it after pleading for help with posting a mission. Its either I despawn and make a mission myself and HOPE axis dont start recapping it before I try to get through the mess of UI and get back to the depot, or lose it too overwhelming enemy forces.

I am sick to death of doing all the damm work. There are only 8 or 10 players who actively do ANYTHING in tz2/3 to promote attacks or setup a viable defence on the allied side. The numbers on axis are overwhelming most of the day and they have simply burnt out all the good leaders we have had. WBS just makes it worse as the player base logs in and automatically goes to the side they perceive is on top.

I have set fms to fbs countless times and pleaded for help to get it down...crickets..I post missions in spawnables I have capped..crickets when I plead for a mission to be posted. I set cutoff fms with ets and opels etc passing by in a victory procession and STILL NO ONE SPAWNS IN....The playerbase is set in turtle mode, but in this game, where we spawn in KNOWN locations it just becomes a campfest which in turn makes the problem WORSE. If you need to defend, defend AGGRESSIVELY. Staying passive in a cp just allows game mechanics and lag to kill you.

The players log off, don't  come back and  MOST IMPORTANTLY DO NOT SUBSCRIBE!

I dearly want this game to continue on to bigger and better things but at the current time, I cannot see it getting much past WBS. Time will tell I hope I am wrong.

27 minutes ago, dropbear said:

I have capped nine spawnables since WBS started only ONE had a mission posted in it after pleading for help with posting a mission. Its either I despawn and make a mission myself and HOPE axis dont start recapping it before I try to get through the mess of UI and get back to the depot, or lose it too overwhelming enemy forces.

I am sick to death of doing all the damm work. There are only 8 or 10 players who actively do ANYTHING in tz2/3 to promote attacks or setup a viable defence on the allied side. The numbers on axis are overwhelming most of the day and they have simply burnt out all the good leaders we have had. WBS just makes it worse as the player base logs in and automatically goes to the side they perceive is on top.

I have set fms to fbs countless times and pleaded for help to get it down...crickets..I post missions in spawnables I have capped..crickets when I plead for a mission to be posted. I set cutoff fms with ets and opels etc passing by in a victory procession and STILL NO ONE SPAWNS IN....The playerbase is set in turtle mode, but in this game, where we spawn in KNOWN locations it just becomes a campfest which in turn makes the problem WORSE. If you need to defend, defend AGGRESSIVELY. Staying passive in a cp just allows game mechanics and lag to kill you.

I dearly want this game to continue on to bigger and better things but at the current time, I cannot see it getting much past WBS. Time will tell I hope I am wrong.

I went allied for the mini map and intermission . I tried to help you all out but you all don't listen over there no coms no team work and poor leadership and you wonder why axis are over pop.  

1 hour ago, dropbear said:

Dropbear I can relate to what you are talking about because I have experienced the same thing with this game at times on the Axis side too.

And if you need a break from the game, then take one.

But blasting a “DON’T SUBSCRIBE” message in these forums is just wrong.  Squads are trying to bring back old vets right now.

Edited by krazydog

That's what I am saying krazydog.....we are pleading for players to come back BUT the game mechanics are fighting us everywhere.

Patience folks. We are aware, and working on it. It’s just going to take some time because we’re mostly volunteer staff with day jobs and nightly sleep requirements. More dev/prod people than me are in this project. 

And we’re going to make it as smooth (intuitive) and purty as we can get it.

YOUR task in the interim, should you accept it, would be to s l o w down and try to grip and guide new players to a wholesome experience. Maybe try to self-balance sides and set up, well, ”fair” battles that are fun for both attacker and defender. Less gottawininitis and more letshavefun if you get my meaning.

1 person likes this

came looking for a post telling us how to play as allies, found it very fast. first rule of playing as a 'visitor' to the other side: "keep your fat gob shut about what they 'need to do' they can and have whupped you many times before, don't be an [censored] just because they have had a bad period because sure as hell your own bad period when back to your 'own side' is just waiting around the corner to make you look a fool

3 people like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0