• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
audimrfy

speed of sound as you see it in game

12 posts in this topic

We don't have anything that exceeds the speed of sound.

We need whips. Just for disciplinary reasons. Whips exceeds speed of sound…

1 hour ago, OLDZEKE said:

We don't have anything that exceeds the speed of sound.

I think maybe the OP's point was that when observing an event from a distance, the sound should arrive later than the visual image.

Sound travels at (roughly) a thousand feet a second, or five seconds a mile. Sound arrival delay is a useful way to determine how far away a sound source is. Kids learn that you can tell how far away lightning was by counting the seconds until you hear the thunder. Just about anyone can recognize two hundred feet of sound arrival delay. Sound arrival delay would be a perfect item for coding, if resources were available, because it behaves 100% consistently with the physics, and it'd be game-useful.

As to items that exceed the speed of sound: many of the game's gun projectiles do. But, exceeding the speed of sound isn't relevant to sound propagation speed. 

For a year or so a long time ago, the game did model the propagation speed of high-level mechanical compression waves in air...in the form of visual shockwaves from explosions. That was a very cool and highly realistic effect. Mechanical compression waves like that are just the "speed of sound" in a localized, high-level form. It'd be visually neat to bring that effect back, now that everyone's computer has plenty of power to support it. I wonder if the code for it still exists in the client, commented out but restorable.

Ahh, yes early on the game modeled something like the concussion wave that was visible. I'm guessing that was a directx effect that was lost in the switch over to openGL. But that's just a guess.

Watch the shockwave arrive across the terrain. That's also the arrival of the sound.

If you listen carefully when riding in the back of a truck as infantry, you can hear the distinct sound of breaking through the sound barrier.

When we did drives in the fields deer hunting I could see the shooting and couple seconds later the sound. Better than lightning.

also plinking LP tanks at 200 yards with a 22.

Time can be deceptive. Sound travels at 343 meters per second or 1125 feet per second. The above vid was taken around 300m from the depot and the lmg sound is near a second behind the 1st tracer.

I was always under the impression that sounds wasn't instantaneous in this game. At least that is the impression I have when I see a plane drop a bomb (or crash)... it takes a second or two to actually hear the sound.

And yes, shockwaves returning would be AWESOME!