choad

MacOS 10.15 this fall

25 posts in this topic

This is strongly rumored to be the release that will finally end 32-bit support. Looks like we will get the first look at it in June followed by a general public release this fall. Just as a general FYI.

Oh, I thought that OS X 10.14 was the end of 32-bit.

So I can "safely" upgrade to 10.14 and still play WWIIOL? Have been holding back as you can understand from my question.

It is more than a rumor. MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) will end 32-bit app support.

i am at 10.14.3 - still ok but i get warnings that future releases will may not support certain 32bit apps.   In the 10.15 version they will not continue providing support to 32 bit apps, but 10.15 may still support existing 32 bit apps- it all depends if they will still provide existing 32 bit  libraries when it ships.  I don't know know.

15 hours ago, blakeh said:

i am at 10.14.3 - still ok but i get warnings that future releases will may not support certain 32bit apps.   In the 10.15 version they will not continue providing support to 32 bit apps, but 10.15 may still support existing 32 bit apps- it all depends if they will still provide existing 32 bit  libraries when it ships.  I don't know know.

True, there is a possibility that the app might still work if all the 64-bit library dependencies are somehow avoided. Could we actually be so lucky? And for how long?

Has anyone actually tried the 10.15 beta?  I'm on a 10-year-old "vintage" MacPro5,1 that won't be supported by 10.15 and will have to consider my options in the Fall.

I'm certainly curious as to whether, or not, the app runs under the 10.15 beta.

Hmm, I still run 10.11.6, is an iMac Retina late 2015.

No idea what going to happen.

Apple will be releasing macOS 10.15 Catalina this fall. Apple has made the decision to drop all 32-bit application support with this release, 

Well...given this, which has come to me through my tech people at my university...if CRS isn't ready...then I will try playing the game in Windows using my bootcamp setup.

This will be cumbersome and interfere with me playing regularly, as it means switching between computing environments. Currently I can get on to the game quickly when work allows and/or I am bored with work etc..

I hope CRS can make the deadline for this.

Otherwise I will be on much, much less.

That with other increasing time and financial commitments...would likely see me downgrade from Hero builder to premium.

S!

I doubt we will make the 10.15 release time frame with 64bit.. There has been a lot of movement with the 64bit client lately though for the Mac and PC. Once it gets into testing we will get a better idea of how long before we can release a client. 

FWIW I play primarily on Mac and just this weekend I tried the bootcamp solution... not as smooth as the native Mac experience but it was good enough fly and get my Trackir back in action. 

58 minutes ago, radarkdo said:

FWIW I play primarily on Mac and just this weekend I tried the bootcamp solution... not as smooth as the native Mac experience but it was good enough fly and get my Trackir back in action. 

Agree RadarKDO.. I am also primarily a Mac player.. I will personally delay my updating to 10.15 until we get 64bit done which I hope won’t be long.. 

All existing pre- 10.15 macs will continue to work the same after the release of 10.15.   Dropping 32 bit support only affects OS release 10.15 and forward.  

Personally, i like to see a new OS released for at least 6 months before switching to it.  Let someone else work out the bugs.

On 27/08/2019 at 4:08 PM, SCKING said:

I doubt we will make the 10.15 release time frame with 64bit.. There has been a lot of movement with the 64bit client lately though for the Mac and PC. Once it gets into testing we will get a better idea of how long before we can release a client. 

Is there a timeframe being worked toward? 

I recall one of the last fundraisers was partly toward this initiative, so be good to understand the progress for those who donated. Thank-you.

It is progressing actively. I have no idea how much longer it will take but I can say that last week we got our first test client running 64bit for both Mac and PC. So it’s very good progress to have a buildable, functioning, spawnable 64bit client. My team will be testing that and making tickets of issues we find. I do not expect it to be released prior to Catalina but we shall see. I would recommend holding back on upgrading if you can, until we have a client available for you. 

1 person likes this

As my guys have said, this is deeply important - we will work to preserve the Mac playability and operating system support. We have some initial client testing underway which is a significant development. Hang in there everyone - more details to follow. S! 

1 person likes this

I've started getting notices from software developers that I use to hold off on upgrading to OS 10.15 Catalina. You might want to make sure your Software Update in System Preferences is not set to update automatically.

Edited by gavalink

I could be wrong but I don’t think Apple auto updates to the latest major revision. Just for fixes to current major release. Obviously they could change that. I do have mine turned off just in case

I just updated the last of the software I use to comply with Catalina. WWII online is now the only software I'm waiting on. (just sayin' ;)

So....? What's the situation?  64 bit.

June 2020? May 2020? April 2020? 

??

Thanks for any info.

S!

It's in testing still. We've created tickets on the latest found issues for the Devs to work off of.

My goal is to have it out before christmas but as Oldzeke said, we are testing and handing issues of to dev team to get fixed. Testing is not complete nor is development work on it, so we can not provide a concrete answer yet. 

We are still working on it.. Saw some fixes go in today for a couple of the issues but its been slow going between personal things as well as other things internally (colo move and billing issues). Before Christmas doesn't seem possible at this moment so hopefully not too far after that.. I have off from work between Christmas and New Year so I really hope to accelerate testing over that time period..