• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
She11shock

System Performance.

33 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, MikeAZ said:

processor- amd fx 870k quad core 360 ghz

ram- 160 gb

system 64 bit x64 based processor.

Umm I see your problem right there
Your 360Ghz CPU is so fast the game is running backwards

seriously though, I think you must mean 3.6Ghz and 16GB ram?
Based not the not quite accurate CPU you listed

That would be an Athlon II X4 870k (there is no 870k in the FX series)
It should actually be clocked at 3.9Ghz base clock, 4.4Ghz in turbo mode
In it's day (2015-ish) it was an ok budget quad core
0.3 Ghz isn't going to change much for you though

Even with the mother of all graphics cards, that CPU will probably hit highs of 40 or 50 fps
with averages probably in the 20's going into single digits in heavy action with lots of stuff going on.
Give or take a little

It would make your motherboard a socket FM2+
I think the highest CPU available for that is either the Althon II X4 880k, which is only a small clock increase
or the AMD A10-7890K APU which is also only a small clock increase and onchip GPU which you do not need.

Not wanting to make you feel bad, but dont want to mislead you just for the warm and fuzzies either
I dont think anything we could suggest would squeak out any miracles.
You could try a few things though.
Since the game does a lot of the effects on CPU at present, you could try seeing what happens if you turn them all off
If you are running the game at a really high resolution, it maybe, might help a little to try it at something less

You can try shifting the game off of cpu0, where the OS will also be probably doing most of its background stuff
by setting its affinity in taskmanager to like cpu1

In game settings, setting the viz limit to low will put less enemy units into your viz list and lower the amount of others you have to calculate stuff for.

Might also lower the number of sounds played in audio settings, since on probably most PC's, since the sound card heydays ended, are running audio at least partially rendered in software.

Maybe some others can thing of some other tweaks you could try.

Yours is a case where i wish we had multithreading and parallel processing in the bag already
as it would help a system like yours spread the load out and probably average out the performance better

8 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

Umm I see your problem right there
Your 360Ghz CPU is so fast the game is running backwards

seriously though, I think you must mean 3.6Ghz and 16GB ram?
Based not the not quite accurate CPU you listed

That would be an Athlon II X4 870k (there is no 870k in the FX series)
It should actually be clocked at 3.9Ghz base clock, 4.4Ghz in turbo mode
In it's day (2015-ish) it was an ok budget quad core
0.3 Ghz isn't going to change much for you though

Even with the mother of all graphics cards, that CPU will probably hit highs of 40 or 50 fps
with averages probably in the 20's going into single digits in heavy action with lots of stuff going on.
Give or take a little

It would make your motherboard a socket FM2+
I think the highest CPU available for that is either the Althon II X4 880k, which is only a small clock increase
or the AMD A10-7890K APU which is also only a small clock increase and onchip GPU which you do not need.

Not wanting to make you feel bad, but dont want to mislead you just for the warm and fuzzies either
I dont think anything we could suggest would squeak out any miracles.
You could try a few things though.
Since the game does a lot of the effects on CPU at present, you could try seeing what happens if you turn them all off
If you are running the game at a really high resolution, it maybe, might help a little to try it at something less

You can try shifting the game off of cpu0, where the OS will also be probably doing most of its background stuff
by setting its affinity in taskmanager to like cpu1

In game settings, setting the viz limit to low will put less enemy units into your viz list and lower the amount of others you have to calculate stuff for.

Might also lower the number of sounds played in audio settings, since on probably most PC's, since the sound card heydays ended, are running audio at least partially rendered in software.

Maybe some others can thing of some other tweaks you could try.

Yours is a case where i wish we had multithreading and parallel processing in the bag already
as it would help a system like yours spread the load out and probably average out the performance better

Image result for banging head on keyboard gif

sooooooooo thanks for the help guys but its way over my head. I ll just whine, swear and rage quit.  S!

You only having low fps playing ground Mike? If so then check that this slider is to the left rather than the right.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:04 AM, She11shock said:

I am an old PC gamer that hung it up over ten years ago. I played ww2ol from the start in 2001 and just recently got back into it.  I dug out my two old pcs one was an athlon 3500+ and the other was a Phenom 2 quad core. Sine then I put together some aging setups but that still have some grunt. A phenom 2 1100t 6 core @ 4g and a FX 8350 @ 4.9g both with 8 g ram and gtx 1060s. More modern machines in the works. My question here is thru all those machines I get almost identical performance. Some areas I break 100fps while others in heavy battles I fall below 30fps. Going from an athlon single core to the fx 8 core with double the single core CPU bandwitdth and quadruple the ram should of yielded results? What am I missing here? Curious to what people are running and what kind of performance they are getting. 

There are two issues at play here. First and by far the largest issue is that the game simply performs very poorly.  It has been that way since the graphics were updated for the Battleground Europe re-release in mid-00's. The engine is ancient and it's asked to do too much, the game has way too many 3D-objects for it to handle. The fully 3D buildings and city blocks are most likely the worst offenders. It was a bit sad to see that after being away for 10 years the performance had just got worse (though I'm running pretty ancient i5 2500K@4.3GHz but I have fastest possible RAM for the CPU, RTX2060 GPU and I'm running the game from a PCI-E SSD, in heaviest battles the fps can drop down to 20). Modern games utilize available hardware (CPU threads, memory, GPU resources) much more efficiently than WW2OL.

Another reason for the poor performance you are experiencing is that both of your CPUs are very old and the reason why they perform the same in this game is that the 8350 actually has worse IPC than 1100T so in this game it's not any faster even when clocked higher.

I think the most cost effective setup for this game would be the cheapest possible Intel CPU with unlocked multiplier, overclock it to 5GHz and pair it with 8GB of RAM and pretty much any NVIDIA GPU avaible.

edit: Well, [censored] me sideways, the infantry LOD seems to have ridiculous effect on performance. I spawned infantry in offline mode until the fps dropped below 30 and then adjusted the LOD slider to half way down and my FPS went up to 80. Maybe, just maybe, the infantry LOD should default to some lower value than max and there should be huge disclaimer in the settings that this causes massive perf drops.

Edited by aop

2 hours ago, aop said:

There are two issues at play here. First and by far the largest issue is that the game simply performs very poorly.  It has been that way since the graphics were updated for the Battleground Europe re-release in mid-00's. The engine is ancient and it's asked to do too much, the game has way too many 3D-objects for it to handle. The fully 3D buildings and city blocks are most likely the worst offenders. It was a bit sad to see that after being away for 10 years the performance had just got worse (though I'm running pretty ancient i5 2500K@4.3GHz but I have fastest possible RAM for the CPU, RTX2060 GPU and I'm running the game from a PCI-E SSD, in heaviest battles the fps can drop down to 20). Modern games utilize available hardware (CPU threads, memory, GPU resources) much more efficiently than WW2OL.

Another reason for the poor performance you are experiencing is that both of your CPUs are very old and the reason why they perform the same in this game is that the 8350 actually has worse IPC than 1100T so in this game it's not any faster even when clocked higher.

I think the most cost effective setup for this game would be the cheapest possible Intel CPU with unlocked multiplier, overclock it to 5GHz and pair it with 8GB of RAM and pretty much any NVIDIA GPU avaible.

edit: Well, [censored] me sideways, the infantry LOD seems to have ridiculous effect on performance. I spawned infantry in offline mode until the fps dropped below 30 and then adjusted the LOD slider to half way down and my FPS went up to 80. Maybe, just maybe, the infantry LOD should default to some lower value than max and there should be huge disclaimer in the settings that this causes massive perf drops.

It's player adjustable but yea I think it shouldn't go full on unless the player sets it as such. As is though if you select the "best quality" it sets everything to highest. 

That inf LOD and the corpse number and time displayed should likely be defaulted to middle settings and consider full on as a extreme setting.