• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thomboi

WTF?

9 posts in this topic

How do fallbacks work exactly? Why would a fallback be FORWARD of the town the unit was in?  Our 3/1 & 3/2 Brigades were in Ciney.  Ciney was attacked and taken (TZ3...same old take the map while the US is asleep horse[censored]) and SYSTEM put the brigs in Spontin.  What a gift!!! Why would your fallback be forward of the town you were already in?

21 minutes ago, thomboi said:

How do fallbacks work exactly? Why would a fallback be FORWARD of the town the unit was in?  Our 3/1 & 3/2 Brigades were in Ciney.  Ciney was attacked and taken (TZ3...same old take the map while the US is asleep horse[censored]) and SYSTEM put the brigs in Spontin.  What a gift!!! Why would your fallback be forward of the town you were already in?

Because the coding is for the bounce to go where the unit came from.  That's why smart HC will cycle the brigades back and forth to set their fallbacks appropriately after a retrograde move. 

This aspect of brigade moves is also why the brigades of a division start together, makes setup for new campaigns easier but mostly it forces the brigades to be moved up and generate a safe fallback position.

If I remember the Ciney position, it did have a back brigade set so the brigade in Ciney would have fallen back to it.  Someone must have moved it up for combat supply without moving the other depleted one back, the brigade checked first was from Spontin so it went there, the second brigade checked state and found it's fellow brigade there and followed. 

If you have iffy coverage, not smart to leave a bomb like that around.

It is as I have said previously , a crock.

Should be a command to set fallback. Absolutely ridiculous the amount of shuffling that used to have to be done just to set a fallback. Obviously this burden is now reduced with only 3 divas on the map.

3 people like this

BDE shows no movement of either brigade.  Ciney fell, SYSTEM moved them to Spontin.  Based on your "bounce where the unit came from", that would  imply those brigs were already in Spontin.  Only link to Spontin is Ciney.  BDE shows absolutely no HC movement of those units.  I call BS.

The bounce system and fallback system has not changed. So it’s no different than it was prior to 1.36 regarding brigades.

I've always thought that you should be able to set a fallback by simply clicking the brigade and clicking a set fallback button, why the old rats coded it the way they did I'm not sure.

Do real armies send their troops to a fallback location and then back to the front line so they know where to go.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, thomboi said:

BDE shows no movement of either brigade.  Ciney fell, SYSTEM moved them to Spontin.  Based on your "bounce where the unit came from", that would  imply those brigs were already in Spontin.  Only link to Spontin is Ciney.  BDE shows absolutely no HC movement of those units.  I call BS.

Okay, you understand I was in AHC and pestered KFS1 to an inch of his life about how it worked, right?

And yes earlier in the day one of the brigades WAS in Spontin, the other in Ciney.  When Anhee went down Delems moved it out of Spontin and into Ciney, moved the Ciney brigade to Marche, which I was pretty happy about the time, right move smartly executed quickly.  If it had been left that way, the brigade would have fallen back to Marche.

But somebody in a hurry and likely not understanding the consequences moved the Marche brigade back in before you came on and didn't move the old one out, two brigades in Ciney, and the scenario I outlined would ensue.

AHC guys probably checked fallback and deliberately set up that attack.  Axis guys used to be past masters of bouncing to pocket caps.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I've always thought that you should be able to set a fallback by simply clicking the brigade and clicking a set fallback button, why the old rats coded it the way they did I'm not sure.

Do real armies send their troops to a fallback location and then back to the front line so they know where to go.

Completely agreed. 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:34 PM, Kilemall said:

Okay, you understand I was in AHC and pestered KFS1 to an inch of his life about how it worked, right?

And yes earlier in the day one of the brigades WAS in Spontin, the other in Ciney.  When Anhee went down Delems moved it out of Spontin and into Ciney, moved the Ciney brigade to Marche, which I was pretty happy about the time, right move smartly executed quickly.  If it had been left that way, the brigade would have fallen back to Marche.

But somebody in a hurry and likely not understanding the consequences moved the Marche brigade back in before you came on and didn't move the old one out, two brigades in Ciney, and the scenario I outlined would ensue.

AHC guys probably checked fallback and deliberately set up that attack.  Axis guys used to be past masters of bouncing to pocket caps.

Perfect example of why the entire HC/brigade system desperately needed to cut down and simplified. There is a way to manually set fallback as well, but to be honest I forgot how to do it.

Expecting HC volunteers to understand these arcane rules (which also are very poorly documented) is just bad game design. Another notch on the old CRS 1.0 post I guess.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0