Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardlead

What happens to unarmed bomb?

9 posts in this topic

Sat in a PZ in AB spawn in AB under heavy attack the other day.

A blen went in to bomb, just waiting for the concussion, nothing happened.

What I did see was one of those WTF moments.

I saw a black streak/fast moving object hitting just beside an 88, thing is there stood a freindly inf, hit directly by the unexploded bomb = Insta killed.

Is this even possible, or did I see something else?

Inf probably die on contact with ordinance because you don't want them clipping into bombs. ;) They might ride'em like in Dr. Strangelove!

If a plane drops too low it doesnt arm and its a dud.

Introduced a few patches back to combat kamikazees FYI

24 minutes ago, PITTPETE said:

If a plane drops too low it doesnt arm and its a dud.

Introduced a few patches back to combat kamikazees FYI

Yepp I know that, I just went WTF over the dud killing an Inf.

Is that per game mechanics possible?

Assuming the game "sees" the bomb object as a vehicle and considering that if inf touch a moving enemy vehicle it kills them, then yea I guess it may be likely.

Not sure if the game infact classes bombs in with vehicles or not though so the above is pure assumption and or speculation.

I think it was said in the early days that bombs were processed in the damage code like bullets until they hit something that decelerated the bomb enough to trip the fuze.

That is, whatever they hit as a bullet had some of their kinetic energy transferred.

Bombs have a lot of kinetic energy. 

I think it was said that that was done to model what happens if a bomb hits another plane in flight. It damages that other plane as a bullet and keeps going without exploding.

I assume that the new code that makes bombs duds if dropped too low, didn't change any of the already existing code. Probably we never noticed bombs causing kinetic damage to ground targets before because there were no duds, and the close-by explosion masked any such effects. Not any more, though.

12 hours ago, Hardlead said:

Sat in a PZ in AB spawn in AB under heavy attack the other day.

A blen went in to bomb, just waiting for the concussion, nothing happened.

What I did see was one of those WTF moments.

I saw a black streak/fast moving object hitting just beside an 88, thing is there stood a freindly inf, hit directly by the unexploded bomb = Insta killed.

Is this even possible, or did I see something else?

I'd have to try it, but it makes sense.
The bomb has mass and KE, and it does not take a ton of KE to KO an infantryman.
If the bomb is a dud, no detonation happens, but I think the object itself still remains, I seem to remember that from testing the alt limit and bouncing them off ships and such and seeing the falling/KE part still take place in the logs.
And 40+ pound object falling on infantry, even if it is a low drop, would probably have enough KE to hurt an infantry if it hit him.

New mini game?
Infantry bowling?

3 hours ago, Merlin51 said:

I'd have to try it, but it makes sense.
The bomb has mass and KE, and it does not take a ton of KE to KO an infantryman.
If the bomb is a dud, no detonation happens, but I think the object itself still remains, I seem to remember that from testing the alt limit and bouncing them off ships and such and seeing the falling/KE part still take place in the logs.
And 40+ pound object falling on infantry, even if it is a low drop, would probably have enough KE to hurt an infantry if it hit him.

New mini game?
Infantry bowling?

Pah typical! The PBI are the only ones to suffer following the "fix" - CRS just hates all squishes!  ;)  Even my tinfoil helmet cannot save me from Merlins bowling balls......

S! Ian 

12 hours ago, jwilly said:

I think it was said in the early days that bombs were processed in the damage code like bullets until they hit something that decelerated the bomb enough to trip the fuze.

That is, whatever they hit as a bullet had some of their kinetic energy transferred.

Bombs have a lot of kinetic energy. 

I think it was said that that was done to model what happens if a bomb hits another plane in flight. It damages that other plane as a bullet and keeps going without exploding.

I assume that the new code that makes bombs duds if dropped too low, didn't change any of the already existing code. Probably we never noticed bombs causing kinetic damage to ground targets before because there were no duds, and the close-by explosion masked any such effects. Not any more, though.

You should check with Rans about "mid-air bombing" kills. I am pretty sure he has killed at least two LW (Me110s iirc) by bombing them with his Millennium Falcon, erm I mean DB7.....

S! Ian 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0