Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amood87

Is the move to Unreal Engine still taking place?

6 posts in this topic

I've been lurking time to time and saw the road map last year. I was pretty excited to see some screens in the Unreal Engine. Is the move still happening?

Very curious as well - WW2OL 2.0 is a major reason why I returned to support the project.

1 person likes this

My understanding from the Rats Chats and the Forums is that the Unreal Engine work was just a very, very basic proof of concept. The main issue with using Unreal Engine is that you are limited in scale/map size based on what the game engine was fundamentally designed to do (i.e. designed for close quarters/small maps) and not huge open world games. This is similar to other commercial off the shelf engines out there (Unity, CryTek, Lumberyard). Although there are some companies out there that do large open-world type games like Star Citizen and use commercial engines (they used CryTek and now Lumberyard) but these engines are heavily modified. Others like Elite Dangerous created their own inhouse game engine.

FWIW my own view is that a WWIIOL 2.0 (which I highly support and think we should really start making some strides to vis-a-vis crowd funding) will need to develop its own inhouse game engine to deliver the type of gameplay (large zonesless world combining air/land/sea seamlessly) rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with a commercial engine. I think the Star Citizen experience is telling here where they dumped the CryTek engine after years of work and pretty much rebuilt it using Lumberyard (which itself is a CryTek derivative).

Crowd-funding is something that is likely going to be necessary for the success of 2.0 - That being said, it is also an opportunity to build an entirely new and expanded community, something it’s going to need moving forward. 

Launch it and I’ll fund it for my part at least. S! 

Edited by raptor34
1 person likes this

22 hours ago, SNIPER62 said:

The eventual goal of getting to a WWIIOL 2.0 is still there but there is no current work towards it at this time. Take a look at the current Roadmap to see where the current goals are.

https://www.wwiionline.com/community-news#dev-roadmap

Interesting. I guess I'm a little disappointed but I understand why. I'll definitely keep the game in the back of my mind. I'm guessing it's a long term plan, perhaps 5 years? I personally value graphics, animations, etc., as much as gameplay, and so games like Post Scriptum offers the best of both worlds in a WW2 setting. 

Hopefully, when you do decide that the move to 2.0 is imminent, and there's a crowd funding initiative that shows off legitimate proof of concept and progress, I'm definitely in. 

Best of luck, everyone.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0