lonepilgim

how to play para

12 posts in this topic

Anything under 9-12 paras has little shock value (my experience defending vs them), high drops make easy hunting, and dropping too far gives the defender plenty of time to react.

Better to know what not to do first.

Move in a group, unlike the FMS/depot spawning; you all show up at the same time so you can pull off actual squad/platoon tactics.

My last 10 para missions were: waiting on the runway with the plane and 2 other guys for 15 min

Best to try them on a squad night

Hard to roleplay as one narrow type here.  Para is best used sparingly.  You will never be spawning para on a regular basis.  But that is very realistic if you know the history at all.

Learn comms for your side, watch the ops channel, someone will eventually call out a para mission, join it.

A lot of classic para drops are done flying over the town, so the paras are not out in the open and can maneuver to take objectives and kill effectively.  This can work out, or paras can be all dead in the first five minutes.

I think 1.36, particularly the MG challenged spawnlists, practically BEGS for the use of paras as 'free' supply. 

I've also taken to dropping my paras outside towns, where they can form up and fight their way in as an effective group.  Nothing like 'can't spawn 5 seconds later to get there' and having to work as a team and survive maneuver to sharpen skills and teamwork and comms.

Most para types also have at least one HEAT charge that can be used to destroy tanks.

I think sides that fail to use these advantages wisely are missing out on a very powerful tool for victory.

1 person likes this

Thanks but this is not what I was looking for..how do I play para?  Do I spawn in as infantry?  How do I get a parachute ? Is there anyway I can train for this..in offline training there is a para section but it is essentially the same as infantry training with the different guns and such...how do I find a mission?  Thanks

47 minutes ago, lonepilgim said:

Thanks but this is not what I was looking for..how do I play para?  Do I spawn in as infantry?  How do I get a parachute ? Is there anyway I can train for this..in offline training there is a para section but it is essentially the same as infantry training with the different guns and such...how do I find a mission?  Thanks

lone: basically you can't ' play' para on your own if you mean spawn in, get a chute. hop on a plane and jump into enemy territory.  how it works in game: 

1. you spawn as a PARACHUTE inf (choice of weapons /load out in that list) from a Parachute Garrison brigade. Para Garrisons are always but only at frontline/close to frontline towns with AIRFIELDS.  Para Inf only spawn at the Para Depot in the middle of these airfields.  the Para Inf load out includes the CHUTE.  The chute auto-deploys (like a jumpline) when you jump ( f key) out of the plane.  once deployed and floating you can minimally steer the chute with q/e keys.   BUT

2. you need a plane to get on, and a pilot for that plane. so a friendly player pilot will spawn a para carrying plane (usually a transport or a junkers) and usually pull up from the plane spawning hangar on your AF close to the Para Spawn. You walk up close the plane and hit 'f' to get on. (same for tank/truck/ht).  You are now seated on the plane

3. the pilot/mission leader will yell and scream on game chat for more paras for the mission; they will get on the plane one or more will be seated across from you and  you'll be staring at their faces while the pilot finally takes off, flies from the origin AF to the target destination (close or far, 3 minutes or 10 minutes or more,  high altitude or low) and someone (usually Pilot or ML) will call JUMP!  You jump (f)  and float down (if your plane hasn't been shot down by enemy fighters) and i) land, pull out weapon and fight/cap/run to target if away from it  or  ii) get shot  while floating by enemy plane, inf on the ground or AI fire

>. this is why as stated in the above answers  Para Jumps require multiple players and some organization so the mission has a purpose:  > an objective to attack, someone to set the Para Inf Mission (can be pilot or ground) ;  a Pilot to fly the plane, and multiple Paras else, you would be jumping as a solo para with a solo pilot (it happens, in fact, you can do it yourself with two accounts as pilot and para).  BUT

> usually a PARA MISSION is called for by an HC, Map/Battle OIC, squad leader or player leader and includes mission creation, origin airfield/target objective (often a spawnable, a bunker or a fb bust) and a call (and wait) for multiple Paras to make the jump effective 

there may be details I left out, better ways to do it and many other players could tell you more/better than the above, but that's the general idea - you don't need to train for it, you just do it in game. if you're totally ambitious you can/will set the para mission yourself and call on chat for more paras and a plane. 

Edited by sorella

35 minutes ago, lonepilgim said:

Well, have you followed the tutorials and spawned in the game?  If not, need to do that.

You have to spawn into a mission to enter the game.  Someone, either you or another mission leader, needs to have made the mission, which in the case of paras will be from an airfield to a target town, usually either a town being attacked (with an AO or attack order on it) or rarely a town being defended on your side (with a DO or defense order).

Problem with paras is that they are at AFs and will require a pilot.  So even if you make a mission, that doesn't get you a pilot to fly you there.  That sort of complication is why I strongly suggest you not push for a para mission, but listen on Ops channel for someone to make one.  That will mean they have a pilot lined up and a battle that paras can help in.

Join the mission, and you will be spawning at a control tower building ON the AF (airfield).  If the pilot is still there, there will be a C-47 or Ju-52 on the field waiting for people to load in.  Get to the side of the plane near the door and press F- that puts you on board the plane. 

You ride the plane, hope no enemy fighters find you, and when over the target press F again- that will cause you to jump, parachute autodeploys, and you float down until landing.  No need to pack away or cut off from your chute.  You can steer a little bit, but at WWII levels of maneuver not a lot of fidelity/acrobatics available.

Where your pilot flies you matters, take stock of what combat environment you are dropping into and who if any are shooting at you on the way down or moving to kill you.  Avoid AI (automated MG towers and pits), and move to your objective/target.

Para dropping is flashy but everyone on the battlefield knows where you landed.  You have to scramble fast whereever and however you land to get out of there and defend yourself and get in position to do damage.

2 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

Well, have you followed the tutorials and spawned in the game?  If not, need to do that.

You have to spawn into a mission to enter the game.  Someone, either you or another mission leader, needs to have made the mission, which in the case of paras will be from an airfield to a target town, usually either a town being attacked (with an AO or attack order on it) or rarely a town being defended on your side (with a DO or defense order).

Problem with paras is that they are at AFs and will require a pilot.  So even if you make a mission, that doesn't get you a pilot to fly you there.  That sort of complication is why I strongly suggest you not push for a para mission, but listen on Ops channel for someone to make one.  That will mean they have a pilot lined up and a battle that paras can help in.

Join the mission, and you will be spawning at a control tower building ON the AF (airfield).  If the pilot is still there, there will be a C-47 or Ju-52 on the field waiting for people to load in.  Get to the side of the plane near the door and press F- that puts you on board the plane. 

You ride the plane, hope no enemy fighters find you, and when over the target press F again- that will cause you to jump, parachute autodeploys, and you float down until landing.  No need to pack away or cut off from your chute.  You can steer a little bit, but at WWII levels of maneuver not a lot of fidelity/acrobatics available.

Where your pilot flies you matters, take stock of what combat environment you are dropping into and who if any are shooting at you on the way down or moving to kill you.  Avoid AI (automated MG towers and pits), and move to your objective/target.

Para dropping is flashy but everyone on the battlefield knows where you landed.  You have to scramble fast whereever and however you land to get out of there and defend yourself and get in position to do damage.

or what Kile said. S! 

ok..I get all that..I've been playing for a while..I`ve done all the training except armor and I guess that`s  next but I`m still confused...do I spawn in as infantry to do this as airborne ?  Is there anyway to train for this ?  Thanks

1 hour ago, lonepilgim said:

ok..I get all that..I've been playing for a while..I`ve done all the training except armor and I guess that`s  next but I`m still confused...do I spawn in as infantry to do this as airborne ?  Is there anyway to train for this ?  Thanks

no training required unless you want to practice (you'll need a friend/pilot) para jumps from the plane either on the training server or from a backline AF with practice jumps.  if you are asking (as it seems) is there (or why isn't there) a specific Airborne Training Tutorial - I don't know that there is actually. 

SPAWNING: for a para mission in game you would have to spawn as an AIRBORNE INFANTRYMAN (smg , rifle, etc loadouts available AS A PARA) only from a  town with an airfield and a PARA/AIRBORNE GARRISON in that town. 

go in game and try for yourself. log in. pick side. open map, look for town with airfield of that side (say, Bertrix, Montfaucon, Gilze for Axis or Antwerp South, Brussels for Allies) ; right click on the town name, pick Airborne Garrison from the drop down. Create or join an Airborne Mission (if there is one)  Enter world, spawn as a para at the para spawn in the middle of the selected AF. 

as said above, there may not be an existing airborne mission at that particular AF. if you cannot create one due to rank/subscription status, then either ask on chat/help channel or watch chat channel in game for your side for ppl talking/typing (usually in caps) about ;   LOADING PARAS NOW  <mission/origin details> and go for it. 

2 hours ago, lonepilgim said:

Para missions show up under infantry mission tab, with a plane icon instead of the soldier icon. You can't miss it. Para missions are started under the airforce tab. You spawn in one of the transport planes and that missions is delivered to the infantry tab for people to join as para. There's no training ground for this as far as I know. Para missions are Air missions that also go to infantry tab.

Edited by knucks