Mosizlak

Free to Play has to go.

190 posts in this topic

...then you are not using them correctly.

SERIOUSLY, when one side that controls the battlefield, the air and ground warfare, has an overwhelming population in almost all timezones, and still cannot utilise paratroopers???

As has been said before, paras have satchels , access to lmgs, smgs. Promote them properly to your f2p. Bring some vets along to show the new guys how powerful they can be used if used as shocktroopers - taking remote cps, taking out that atg line on the hill, or simply landing directly in the open bunker farmhouse.

If I had access to even a quarter of your population we could ruin your day.....

5 hours ago, david06 said:

unfortunately paratroopers are currently worthless outside a few rare scenarios, and they can easily harm the side trying to use them due to the dynamic capture timers

they are worthless because capture timers are very long, because paratroopers organizing on a field or sitting in a plane still count towards global population, and because they rely on surprise but there is no way to keep the mission a secret or attack a target without announcing it to the other team

really paratroopers are the most unique feature of ww2online, but like most of game's assets they sit unused because no real effort is made to make them useful gameplay-wise...which leaves nostalgia, roleplaying or just curiosity as the only reasons to spawn them

If people do not see them as powerful free firepower able to tip the balance of a battle, particularly with the current supply/battle biome, then they deserve to lose.

Edited by Kilemall
2 people like this

31 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

If people do not see them as powerful free firepower able to tip the balance of a battle, particularly with the current supply/battle biome, then they deserve to lose.

Sorry, he's correct. For the time you waste getting paras and flying them to the target, you could have ran 3 FMS and have had them all in the battle already.

Novelty unit, unless you're massively OP, then it doesn't matter. 

Do you even play the game? lol

1 person likes this

Dropping paras on defended towns is certainly worthless.  But paras can be useful otherwise.    With the new supply method they could be dropped between towns to intercept resupply trucks.   

Paras are also useful on an old AO that has not had EWS for a while- you can usually do a quick strike to capture a spawn.   But without someone else bringing in a few FMS as support the attack usually fizzles out.

For a defended down, paras should be dropped outside of the town then walk in like normal infantry.   (Perhaps 400-500 meters or from town. Best to be undetected) 

But i do agree that it is easier and faster to get 3 FMS up then setup a para mission.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Sorry, he's correct. For the time you waste getting paras and flying them to the target, you could have ran 3 FMS and have had them all in the battle already.

Do you?

Sappers and MGs run out, stalling attacks and allowing for overwhelming armor or enemy MG on attack or defense.  FMS doesn't matter if that's the only linking attack town and no brigades in sight.

Sappers also can drop behind an armor screen or clear a ridge.

I've dropped teams that have cracked open towns on the previous campaign, and on one memorable occasion (the High Jump, literally dropping from the clouds so the enemy didn't hear the plane) we cracked open Bitburg with multicaps, hastening the success of the finishing attack, still contested and defense in disarray when the side switched to Bitburg, when getting near the place conventionally was going to be sheer pain.

And rarely, I can get people to go for the glider assault- a full team walking off the plane in the aerial equivalent of the Olde Hotdrop, rare but potentially devastating.

While playing Axis against Allied past few months, I've seen creative Allied precision takedowns done with paras, fine work.  So someone over there Gets It.

From a conventional perspective of course FMS and leg troops are better in an attack cycle/sustainable attack/player-hour usage sense.  But having no imagination or doing infantry hero or crutching on tanks just limits your options and your horizons.

I quite enjoy that a former Black Hand cannot see the potential.  Always was conceptual limits to that squad.

Edited by Kilemall
3 people like this

3 hours ago, blakeh said:

Dropping paras on defended towns is certainly worthless.  But paras can be useful otherwise.    With the new supply method they could be dropped between towns to intercept resupply trucks.   

Paras are also useful on an old AO that has not had EWS for a while- you can usually do a quick strike to capture a spawn.   But without someone else bringing in a few FMS as support the attack usually fizzles out.

For a defended down, paras should be dropped outside of the town then walk in like normal infantry.   (Perhaps 400-500 meters or from town. Best to be undetected) 

But i do agree that it is easier and faster to get 3 FMS up then setup a para mission.

Hmmm, while you have a lot of use cases for paras that are good, I have to contest the defended town negative one.  Oh yes, no question that the usual para drop on such is a waste, like dropping warm butter on a hot skillet.

However, when an enemy is short on defending numbers and pushes out of town to threaten/camp/kill your ZOCs, they often leave the town largely unguarded.  In that situation you can jump in town, it's like it's undefended, you can cap a lot and create a need for them to pull back into town and recap.  That can give you time to reestablish your FMS and resume a more conventional attack.

Re: the outside town bit, exactly, that is what should be done most of the time on the attack.  It is particularly effective when it takes 5+ minutes to close and the defenders 'forget' you dropped or assume someone else is manning the reception party.  Another positive effect you can have is drop in a direction no FMS is making it to.  Forces the defense to allocate people to that direction, weakening the guarding and/or the forward FMS hunters.

Another point is that paradrops are like a squad surge from an FMS, you are already grouped up and dependent on each other for survival much less success.  The one death and out part puts an edge on secure movement.  It's the one situation where Rambo utterly dies a pitiful death and the team can win through.

Plus, you naysayers are again ignoring supply and timing.  Offense or defense, an extra 5 SMGs or killing 5 enemy tanks that took 20m getting into position might be the difference in success or failure.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

+1

Paras simply drain players from AOs and DOs and invariably die shortly after or during decent. Once in a bluemoon they succeed in capping a spawnable or AB, or they are dropped to kill FB or AB camps, but those times are few and far between.

In times of big pop a para drop can work or be fun, but when do we have the pop to spare?

As noted elsewhere they are a great advert, but a very poor in game tool.

S! ian 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Hmmm, while you have a lot of use cases for paras that are good, I have to contest the defended town negative one.  Oh yes, no question that the usual para drop on such is a waste, like dropping warm butter on a hot skillet.

However, when an enemy is short on defending numbers and pushes out of town to threaten/camp/kill your ZOCs, they often leave the town largely unguarded.  In that situation you can jump in town, it's like it's undefended, you can cap a lot and create a need for them to pull back into town and recap.  That can give you time to reestablish your FMS and resume a more conventional attack.

Re: the outside town bit, exactly, that is what should be done most of the time on the attack.  It is particularly effective when it takes 5+ minutes to close and the defenders 'forget' you dropped or assume someone else is manning the reception party.  Another positive effect you can have is drop in a direction no FMS is making it to.  Forces the defense to allocate people to that direction, weakening the guarding and/or the forward FMS hunters.

Another point is that paradrops are like a squad surge from an FMS, you are already grouped up and dependent on each other for survival much less success.  The one death and out part puts an edge on secure movement.  It's the one situation where Rambo utterly dies a pitiful death and the team can win through.

Plus, you naysayers are again ignoring supply and timing.  Offense or defense, an extra 5 SMGs or killing 5 enemy tanks that took 20m getting into position might be the difference in success or failure.

With almost six minute cap timer, how do you manage to "cap a lot" while the short on numbers defenders are out killing FRUS/Trucks etc? 

Now if CRS could code a para to cap two or three times faster than an ordinary ground pounder, well there would be paras in the skies over every AO.

Actually, that might help OP issues as well.... paras sit at the AF and in the plane making no real contribution to the OP AOs, then they are essentially just inf and thus vulnerable in the contested town, the faster capping still doesn't equate to Under Pop cap timers, but does help the OP team. Actually the more I think about it the more I like it...

Paras to CAP 3 times quicker than regular inf, but no faster than min timer allows. More paras = less OP in the AO = more balance and new guys love para missions.

S! Ian  

2 people like this

13 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Novelty unit, unless you're massively OP, then it doesn't matter.  Do you even play the game? lol

Sorry you're wrong. Times have changed - supply is lower and more strained - you may have missed most of the current 1.36 game -  but paras and glider troops have saved a number of out of supply axis towns this campaign - especially in super tz3 allied over pop spread (usually 2-3 am to 7-8 am) and have turned the tide, or started the tide in the other tzs, especially larger towns getting capped. 

As noted above - we've also used them to blow critical fbs when out of eng/sapper supply or to interdict supply from allied fbs especially when an ab is capped too soon and the link fbs pop up - in highpop to drop sappers behind allied tank lines on Allied AOs (a common occurrence) -  and of course on AOs to either start or supplement any large-ish town with tons of cps/facilities to cap and/or with multiple spread out cps. 

Last key use from 1.36 is simply to get more automatic/engineer supply to a recently capped town which the Allies have counter-AO'd during the first 10-20 minutes of critical no-low supply trickle. Easier/faster to get new guys on a para/glider plane for a run than convince anyone to go on a 10-15-20 minute truck ride for resupply. Even if its only 3 or 5 smgs/lmgs/engineers/sappers - it makes a difference now. 

One doesn't wish to be indelicate - but yeah - conceptual limitations, unwillingness to adapt and react quickly and the traditional vet 'I know all this stuff  and you're a putz, but where's my equipment audit' mentality seem to be affecting one side more than the other in the new and still evolving paradigm of garrison/low supply 1.36.  It kinda shows on the map, ya know? 

46 minutes ago, ian77 said:

Paras to CAP 3 times quicker than regular inf, but no faster than min timer allows. More paras = less OP in the AO = more balance and new guys love para missions.

S! Ian  

this is a really good idea. especially for new guys. even in the new, limited scope of 1.36, the new guys do respond quickly to the specific requirement use of paras/gliders as Kilemall has outlined. 

Edited by sorella

"

However, when an enemy is short on defending numbers and pushes out of town to threaten/camp/kill your ZOCs, they often leave the town largely unguarded.  In that situation you can jump in town, it's like it's undefended, you can cap a lot and create a need for them to pull back into town and recap.  That can give you time to reestablish your FMS and resume a more conventional attack."

ok -fair enough -  i will agree with that.   But the problem would be actually determining when that period of opportunity exists, otherwise your paras end up being slaughtered and you have just wasted a lot of people's time who could have been pushing in from an fms or defending a town.  It will work at times, but it is also high risk.  Also, this type of op would have to be arranged in the midst of a heavy attack and it is very hard to get people to respond to new missions at such time.  But if it could be done and at the right time, it would certainly carry the day.

9 hours ago, ian77 said:

+1

Paras simply drain players from AOs and DOs and invariably die shortly after or during decent. Once in a bluemoon they succeed in capping a spawnable or AB, or they are dropped to kill FB or AB camps, but those times are few and far between.

In times of big pop a para drop can work or be fun, but when do we have the pop to spare?

As noted elsewhere they are a great advert, but a very poor in game tool.

S! ian 

He's all hot air, m8. I had him on ignore for years, made a mistake taking him off. Nothing you'll say will ever make a dent in him. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, sorella said:

Sorry you're wrong. Times have changed - supply is lower and more strained - you may have missed most of the current 1.36 game -  but paras and glider troops have saved a number of out of supply axis towns this campaign - especially in super tz3 allied over pop spread (usually 2-3 am to 7-8 am) and have turned the tide, or started the tide in the other tzs, especially larger towns getting capped. 

As noted above - we've also used them to blow critical fbs when out of eng/sapper supply or to interdict supply from allied fbs especially when an ab is capped too soon and the link fbs pop up - in highpop to drop sappers behind allied tank lines on Allied AOs (a common occurrence) -  and of course on AOs to either start or supplement any large-ish town with tons of cps/facilities to cap and/or with multiple spread out cps. 

Last key use from 1.36 is simply to get more automatic/engineer supply to a recently capped town which the Allies have counter-AO'd during the first 10-20 minutes of critical no-low supply trickle. Easier/faster to get new guys on a para/glider plane for a run than convince anyone to go on a 10-15-20 minute truck ride for resupply. Even if its only 3 or 5 smgs/lmgs/engineers/sappers - it makes a difference now. 

One doesn't wish to be indelicate - but yeah - conceptual limitations, unwillingness to adapt and react quickly and the traditional vet 'I know all this stuff  and you're a putz, but where's my equipment audit' mentality seem to be affecting one side more than the other in the new and still evolving paradigm of garrison/low supply 1.36.  It kinda shows on the map, ya know? 

this is a really good idea. especially for new guys. even in the new, limited scope of 1.36, the new guys do respond quickly to the specific requirement use of paras/gliders as Kilemall has outlined. 

Nope, hardly EVER run out of supply. 

Unless it's you and desaix running all the engies in a straight line to an FB and getting mowed down lol. 

Learn to hide and use the terrain, don't make it so easy for us. 

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, blakeh said:

"

However, when an enemy is short on defending numbers and pushes out of town to threaten/camp/kill your ZOCs, they often leave the town largely unguarded.  In that situation you can jump in town, it's like it's undefended, you can cap a lot and create a need for them to pull back into town and recap.  That can give you time to reestablish your FMS and resume a more conventional attack."

ok -fair enough -  i will agree with that.   But the problem would be actually determining when that period of opportunity exists, otherwise your paras end up being slaughtered and you have just wasted a lot of people's time who could have been pushing in from an fms or defending a town.  It will work at times, but it is also high risk.  Also, this type of op would have to be arranged in the midst of a heavy attack and it is very hard to get people to respond to new missions at such time.  But if it could be done and at the right time, it would certainly carry the day.

It does require a recognition of when the time is.  Have to be in range of what is going on and 'seeing' where the enemy is and have a sense of how many are actually there.  It's doable, if for no other reason then I'll do it singlehandedly as a moler and force defenders back.  A firm para drop will create a much faster harder recoil.

3 paras right away is better in that instance then sitting around a field waiting for 10. 

19 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

He's all hot air, m8. I had him on ignore for years, made a mistake taking him off. Nothing you'll say will ever make a dent in him. 

I fly em and see the results.  You're the one that has decided to drop the tool and not try.  Works for me.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Nope, hardly EVER run out of supply. 

guess you haven't played 1.36 much. lot of axis and many allied towns have fallen cuz low supply/no supply. whole point of everybody who wanted garrisons/attrition. 

2 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Unless it's you and desaix running all the engies in a straight line to an FB and getting mowed down lol. 

only the first time, mate. never been an fb we didn't get. and the engineers are always either paras or backline, never front line. just isn't done, wot?

With all the praise for paras you'd think they'll be in every other AO.

I saw more fairmiles than paras in the past year.

Never been (or seen) in a successful 300-500m drop since joining, most in town drops have been wildly successful though.

People despawn when there's a drop mark 500m+. It's like the interdiction and resupply talk, 99% talk and a single example in action.

55 minutes ago, sorella said:

guess you haven't played 1.36 much. lot of axis and many allied towns have fallen cuz low supply/no supply. whole point of everybody who wanted garrisons/attrition. 

only the first time, mate. never been an fb we didn't get. and the engineers are always either paras or backline, never front line. just isn't done, wot?

LOL I just busted up 4 or 5 of your FB attempts. Running in a straight line. Every time. 

2 people like this

18 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

LOL I just busted up 4 or 5 of your FB attempts. Running in a straight line. Every time. 

nah moz. nice try; but the fbs got busted, your attack called off and the fb linked towns are now axis - both wettern and lokeren. only running in a straight line because no one was there to defend until you popped - so at least you wuz checking - until you left, which is odd -  we just came back and blew them. you can't play half a game, crow about it and win. you gotta stick around mate, or call for help if you want to hold fbs. or towns, for that matter.  No wish to be indelicate, but the small game is for small thinkers. we'll trade 4 dead engineers and 2 para sappers for a fail allied attack and two axis towns any night. symptomatic. 

but its getting too toxic or moxic or rainy or something around here. see you in game. was fun and challenging, as always. S! 

Edited by sorella

1 hour ago, sorella said:

nah moz. nice try; but the fbs got busted, your attack called off and the fb linked towns are now axis - both wettern and lokeren. only running in a straight line because no one was there to defend until you popped - so at least you wuz checking - until you left, which is odd -  we just came back and blew them. you can't play half a game, crow about it and win. you gotta stick around mate, or call for help if you want to hold fbs. or towns, for that matter.  No wish to be indelicate, but the small game is for small thinkers. we'll trade 4 dead engineers and 2 para sappers for a fail allied attack and two axis towns any night. symptomatic. 

but its getting too toxic or moxic or rainy or something around here. see you in game. was fun and challenging, as always. S! 

If that's your sort of crappy gameplay you like, awesome. I find it incredibly boring sitting at an FB waiting for target drones to show up. I bounced around to 4 or 5 FBs, slaughtered you guys, got bored and went to an AO. Was talking to some other guys at the FB, and they all agreed, total borefest. And don't pat yourselves on the back that hard, those "attacks" were over way before you showed up to save the day haha. 

You guys should play minecraft or something lol. Or learn how to shoot things ingame instead of being FedEx delivery guys. You do know your bomb delivery guy comes with a rifle? ha

1 person likes this

What was the LMG change? I have only been back since the WBS event, so I missed a lot.

28 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

What was the LMG change? I have only been back since the WBS event, so I missed a lot.

Basically they made it more real-to-life so you can no longer move and fire (run and gun) you have to be still to fire upright - or use your bipod. Walking forward and spraying is no longer a thing i guess.

12 minutes ago, choad said:

Basically they made it more real-to-life so you can no longer move and fire (run and gun) you have to be still to fire upright - or use your bipod. Walking forward and spraying is no longer a thing i guess.

Oh.

I don't feel any pity for the people who quit over this.

2 people like this

LOl good thing i'm drunk from the Stanley Cup finals....But no  fix for years on 3 " atg flipping and Beddy total weakness from climbing hills, to atg guns only having HE on Brit FMS none for French Atg.  Nerfing Brit grenadier...nerfing M10 gun sight...increasing tiger rotation...FG 42 being common in flags.  I will say CRS has done a good thing by fixing these  but really it drove some player's away.  Then I see thread's like RDP inequality and CRS explain there isn't one but people playing axis will accuse up front of wrong doing  before there know the facts makes me not want to play because they will complain when their winning and the ice cream is too cold...they really have developed the underdog mentality to recruit and say they have been crapped on.  I give my props to axis leadership for selling the poo..  Forgive me of all past inequaltie's axis side i'm sure I missed some...

PS. years of axis nicking an ATG and getting the kill but allied doesn't has driven me over the top.

Edited by gridiron