• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
Mosizlak

Free to Play has to go.

187 posts in this topic

But but, I just recruited a new player, yes he is a F2P guy right now but he is eyeing the new subscription and he might be soon a paying customer, for him it's actually good he can play F2P to try it out cause he is color blind ( I can't even imagine to play this game being color blind)

And in turn he recruited one of his friends to join the game yes also a F2P player . Sure being Rifle only he said kinda stinks but he gained already a few kills and being able to talk to him face to face and actually giving him a few pointers before he ever logged in helped.

He is looking forward to the next few day when CRS unlocks all the classes and with a little luck he will become a paying customer once he gets a taste of the other weapons. 

18 hours ago, acedent said:

I am a  ftp player.   subbed from 2001 to 2017.  I un-subbed until killing and getting killed gets fixed.   I can shoot 8  guys running into town,  until that 1 guy  spawns in and you shoot 3 , 4, 5  times  then he turns and kills  you without raising his weapon.   or  you put a full clip in a guys back,  blood all over  , reload fire again .  he turns around and kills you.     .  bigger map, new weapons are all well and good but fixing the basic game play of killing and getting killed  should be   priority 1...               love the game .  play with a great bunch of guys  {   7TH Ast  }   that keep me coming back. but I cant justify paying  again until I see  some improvement on the basics.     thank you to crs  for allowing ftp players....who would the axis kill without them.

Are you playing from a wireless connection by any chance?

4 hours ago, dre21 said:

But but, I just recruited a new player, yes he is a F2P guy right now but he is eyeing the new subscription and he might be soon a paying customer, for him it's actually good he can play F2P to try it out cause he is color blind ( I can't even imagine to play this game being color blind)

And in turn he recruited one of his friends to join the game yes also a F2P player . Sure being Rifle only he said kinda stinks but he gained already a few kills and being able to talk to him face to face and actually giving him a few pointers before he ever logged in helped.

He is looking forward to the next few day when CRS unlocks all the classes and with a little luck he will become a paying customer once he gets a taste of the other weapons. 

Then make it free to play for 2 weeks, maximum. If a person can't tell he wants to play the game after that, he's already gone. 

yeah.. Unfortunately unsubbing doesn’t necessarily help your cause. We are persistently trying to improve everything (not an easy task when a dev only has an hour or two an evening to put time into coding). Remember the team is volunteer, so they don’t make money. The subscription money goes to keep the servers running (game servers to web server to forums etc..) which is not cheap. If everyone unsubscribes to jump to free play, then playnet can no longer keep the server running, then no one plays and the game goes away. Heck, if we had more subscribers, Xoom can try to hire a full time developer so we can get to certain things faster. 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, SCKING said:

yeah.. Unfortunately unsubbing doesn’t necessarily help your cause. We are persistently trying to improve everything (not an easy task when a dev only has an hour or two an evening to put time into coding). Remember the team is volunteer, so they don’t make money. The subscription money goes to keep the servers running (game servers to web server to forums etc..) which is not cheap. If everyone unsubscribes to jump to free play, then playnet can no longer keep the server running, then no one plays and the game goes away. Heck, if we had more subscribers, Xoom can try to hire a full time developer so we can get to certain things faster. 

Well when I'm unhappy with a product, I don't buy the product. It's as simple as that, especially when concerns fall on deaf ears. 

11 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

Well when I'm unhappy with a product, I don't buy the product. It's as simple as that, especially when concerns fall on deaf ears. 

Which is fine and understandable.. I’m talking about those that want to continue to play, despite those short comings, for free as a protest. It’s counter productive to the game that “you love”.  

“I un-subbed until killing and getting killed gets fixed” but still play anyway.

2 people like this

18 hours ago, SCKING said:

Considering to sub before my two free weeks (because of being a new player) ends just because of this comment.

Just done it. Keep up the good work CRS.

Edited by josefw
5 people like this

On 5/19/2019 at 2:16 PM, Mosizlak said:

No, I wasn't away, and it wasn't worse than what we have now. 

Xoom just stated that they are at an all time monthly low for income.  You figure it out. 

So. No. 

So your solution is to shove half the playing population out for good?

I know... we're FTP. I subbed back in 2005 the last time, and have checked back in from time to time just to see what HASN'T gotten done. I feel for the dev team -they are working with not much and still able to keep this thing operating. I'd love to see a graphics update, but I know that can't be in the immediate future. 

With other, better infantry-based FPSs on the market, I won't name names, you think CRS should force people to pay or go away. Seems like that'd kill it for good. Subscribers would dry up, I'm sure.

I think that'd be the death knell for this game. 

What do I know, though>? I'm just a gamer who expects to be able to step over a log and not keep sliding when I stop running... also I expect my SMG to hit targets when I actually take the time to aim it. The air game is still sort of fun, but the ground game is still pretty weak, man.

I may just buy a DLC for air... but then, maybe not.

I couldn't pay a sub for this game as is... No way.

You've been here griping in the forums since Methuselah was just a pup... but you're still here. 

Scores and scores of others are NOT still here. I mean... look around you.

Seems like at the very least they need a way to not lose money on bandwidth. Losing half the pop (F2P, assuming they are half) doesn't matter if the servers have to shut down due to lack of charity. It might be interesting to have an idea about how much the average player costs in terms of bandwidth and server costs per month (or ever per hour).

3 hours ago, tater said:

Seems like at the very least they need a way to not lose money on bandwidth. Losing half the pop (F2P, assuming they are half) doesn't matter if the servers have to shut down due to lack of charity. It might be interesting to have an idea about how much the average player costs in terms of bandwidth and server costs per month (or ever per hour).

I'd bet it's like 75% of players in the field. Most of the players I chatted with in the past cpl days were FTP. 

Oh, and mosizlak was griping in side chat, just like when I left in 2005. Jsiliec was spawn camping in a Sherman, JUST LIKE WHEN I LEFT.

Truly, Mo and players like JSilec owe CRS a giant debt of gratitude because they STILL have their favorite game around, despite the hurdles.

PS: that 109!!!

When I played last, (2007,) the 109s all flopped horribly. What happened?!?!? Did someone fix them? 

I mean... WHAT a difference! I actually was able to hang with Hurris and some Spits! I didn't frisbee off into the ground!

I thought something was wrong because I was used to hearing the low-speed flaps popping out and they weren't!

Whatever was done, this girl appreciates the 109! 

However... even when trailing a "Boston" or the other new bomber, my cannon rounds did nothing. Not to derail the OT, but what's with the HE? Still doesn't work?>

39 minutes ago, girlfriend said:

When I played last, (2007,) the 109s all flopped horribly. What happened?!?!? Did someone fix them? 

I mean... WHAT a difference! I actually was able to hang with Hurris and some Spits! I didn't frisbee off into the ground!

I thought something was wrong because I was used to hearing the low-speed flaps popping out and they weren't!

However... even when trailing a "Boston" or the other new bomber, my cannon rounds did nothing. Not to derail the OT, but what's with the HE? Still doesn't work?>

Aircraft damage models (and maybe some flight models) still need to be audited.  They audited the 109 flight model on its own because of the flop.

While it does make the 109 more stable, some of the better 109 pilots have said that the change has made it more difficult to execute some of the more extreme maneuvers.  Long story short, if you could fly the 109 before the change without flopping, you could get more out of the airframe than you can now after the change.  

It's still a net positive, since there was only minimal outcry about the change but a lot more praise.  

8 hours ago, girlfriend said:

but what's with the HE? Still doesn't work?>

Yepp, You can read in the forums that some vet pilots prefer the all MG no cannon 109 pea shooter.

The "peas" (8m MG) are more effective than the non functional 2cm HE.

17 minutes ago, girlfriend said:

How sad this all is.

Not nearly as dramatic as you might think.

I played this game off and on for years before I subscribed. Honestly I had no clue what was going on, just ran around and played out of curiosity, had some fun times and some not-so-fun times back then. I'd get frustrated and quickly go back to other games that I thought (at the time) were better.

So one Saturday I was cycling through my various games, and while marching around clueless in this one, Rockhit took pity on me and showed me the ropes, told me what was going on, and invited me into his squad. Within a few weeks I was playing nearly every day, then I subscribed, and I've been subbed ever since. 

If I'd been given just a two-week window, that never would have happened. 

The game needs more players, not fewer. I think locking out FTP would be a death knell for this game. Is it annoying having people run around and play for free who seem, based on some of their comments, to HATE the game and want it to fail? Sure it is. But we still need those boots ... those bodies, those targets. ;) 

4 people like this

4 hours ago, hillstorm said:

I played this game off and on for years before I subscribed. Honestly I had no clue what was going on, just ran around and played out of curiosity, had some fun times and some not-so-fun times back then. I'd get frustrated and quickly go back to other games that I thought (at the time) were better.

So one Saturday I was cycling through my various games, and while marching around clueless in this one, Rockhit took pity on me and showed me the ropes, told me what was going on, and invited me into his squad. Within a few weeks I was playing nearly every day, then I subscribed, and I've been subbed ever since. 

If I'd been given just a two-week window, that never would have happened. 

The game needs more players, not fewer. I think locking out FTP would be a death knell for this game. Is it annoying having people run around and play for free who seem, based on some of their comments, to HATE the game and want it to fail? Sure it is. But we still need those boots ... those bodies, those targets. ;) 

I'm much more focused on your Rockhit experience <get the t-shirt>, and what hooked you was understanding just how far and deep the game really is.

I really think 90% of those Steam people literally do not understand the game, and TBH the game does a [censored] poor job of marketing it's addictive strengths, or demonstrating it clearly, all cause of whatever 'player acculturation' clause has to be in that damn design document.

1 person likes this

Last couple of nights have been a blast.

When leaders step up and take the initiative the fun factor is multiplied by ten.

Leadership, communication and teamwork put this game in a class by itself!!!!

On 6/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, girlfriend said:

I'd bet it's like 75% of players in the field. Most of the players I chatted with in the past cpl days were FTP. 

Oh, and mosizlak was griping in side chat, just like when I left in 2005. Jsiliec was spawn camping in a Sherman, JUST LIKE WHEN I LEFT.

Truly, Mo and players like JSilec owe CRS a giant debt of gratitude because they STILL have their favorite game around, despite the hurdles.

PS: that 109!!!

Dude why you keep name dropping me at least lets hear your gametag or did u get hit with the ban hammer and your sour....we both been around for awhile and the game has been improving alot the last 3 years and the sheer amount of armor killing units ingame has exploded with tankbusters and 190/109s with bombs on top of atgs/ats/sappers/armor and a returning armor killing grenadier for both sides....play the game or move on to another that you find more enjoyable 

3 people like this

32 minutes ago, Jsilec said:

Dude why you keep name dropping me at least lets hear your gametag or did u get hit with the ban hammer and your sour....

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spit my coffee onto my keyboard when I read this. LOL

12 hours ago, Kilemall said:

I'm much more focused on your Rockhit experience <get the t-shirt>, and what hooked you was understanding just how far and deep the game really is.

I really think 90% of those Steam people literally do not understand the game, and TBH the game does a [censored] poor job of marketing it's addictive strengths, or demonstrating it clearly, all cause of whatever 'player acculturation' clause has to be in that damn design document.

I agree. When I first tried out this game, I was very interested in it ... I liked the one-world concept (and still do). So yeah, the first thing that struck me was the dated and clunky graphics (compared to the other games I’d been playing). But that didn’t completely turn me off, because I saw people - live people! - were still playing, which told me there was something compelling about this game that was worth learning more about. 

Unfortunately, I just didn’t understand it. I didn’t even know the basic things, like the difference between despawning MIA vs RTB or RES. I went MIA so many times because I thought, “well the battle is over, nothing going on here, don’t know where I am, don’t know where to go.”  Lol. And I certainly had no clue about FB busts or killing EFMS, etc. 

Doesn’t help that I’m not the most proactive person in 1) researching and trying to find instructions, or 2) asking other players for help. So when I got confused or frustrated, which happened a lot, I’d just go back to my other games that I understood. That’s probably happened with a lot of Steam players. 

Even still, something kept me coming back ... so I knew there was something there. I had a feeling ;)

Hats off to rockhit and other squad leaders and players like him who have really kept this game going, I think, by proactively finding the “lost sheep” (lol) ... and providing a chance to better understand what’s actually happening in the game, if they want to learn. 

5 people like this

If you can post your experience Hillstorm in the Steam forums I think it would be a useful counternarrative to all the negative ignorants.

5 people like this

I had to grab some popcorn while reading this thread :)

People play video games for entertainment and when it turns into a job you start to dislike it.

This pretty much summed up High Command, Running a Squad and trying to get players to actually do stuff properly at critical moments. Sure sometimes things went great with little effort and other times you basically were left doing all the dirty work to get the job done because nobody would do it because there was no one else or they were off doing something not as important as the most important thing needing to be done at that very moment to slowly bit by bit win a Campaign. All for the entertainment of the playerbase. Nobody knows the effort put in unless you actually did it for the enjoyment of others. Nothing is more fulfilling.

The worse aspect has always been the lack of players, when you have enough this game is great like 15+ years ago when you barely have anyone online it's not worth playing at all.

"You reap what you sow" comes to mind.

~ Me along with many others were forced to leave a game we loved. The question is, was it for the better? 

S!

Edited by theegenthc

5 hours ago, theegenthc said:

I had to grab some popcorn while reading this thread :)

People play video games for entertainment and when it turns into a job you start to dislike it.

This pretty much summed up High Command, Running a Squad and trying to get players to actually do stuff properly at critical moments. Sure sometimes things went great with little effort and other times you basically were left doing all the dirty work to get the job done because nobody would do it because there was no one else or they were off doing something not as important as the most important thing needing to be done at that very moment to slowly bit by bit win a Campaign. All for the entertainment of the playerbase. Nobody knows the effort put in unless you actually did it for the enjoyment of others. Nothing is more fulfilling.

The worse aspect has always been the lack of players, when you have enough this game is great like 15+ years ago when you barely have anyone online it's not worth playing at all.

"You reap what you sow" comes to mind.

~ Me along with many others were forced to leave a game we loved. The question is, was it for the better? 

S!

May I ask what forced you away?

The forum is a disheartening place for us CRS volunteers most of the time, we're putting so much time and effort into fixing and improving things behind the scenes, we all wish we had more time to do even more for all of you.

We are nearly all players that fell in love with this game and cant bear the thought of it no longer existing.

Please stick with us if you can, we're tackling problems one step at a time.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Nick said:

May I ask what forced you away?

Nick I'm sure the driving force was CRS via a ban , not sure if it was the old or the newer CRS.

But I can tell you what lost you the majority of the German speaking players , yes most played Axis but there was a very dedicated group that went Allied. And I think that number totaled in the hundreds or close to it. 

If you want to know shoot me a message and I'll try to explain as much detail as I know.