dre21

The reason why I log in less

96 posts in this topic

Hi all

I love this game but I find myself as of late (since 1.36)   not really wanting to log in . 

And here are some of the reasons.

1st of the map . I liked the Brigades and the Flags on the map it made it look busy aka something is happening even that one wasn't even yet in the game world so to speak.

Now I look at an empty map with a few flags here and there , we in Germany have a saying *The Eye invites the Appetite * now the map is not appealing aka not really stoking my appetite. 

Not a fan of Garrison, not once have I ever read in a History book this Garrison was in this town , it was always the 3rd Panzer , the 5th Marine battalion and so on and on. ( I think you know what I mean)  I hear Garrison I think Cowboys and Indians , the 5th Cavalry rode from the Garrison in Nevada in search of the Indians. Again not inviting .

I know CRS said they are working on it ( and in my eyes it can't come fast enough) is the mess making a mission.

A few days ago made 2 no problem ( I figured yup finally figured it out) yesterday tried the same method 3 times I gave up trying to make one.

The call comes out  FB X under attack , if I would be in a town where hardly any action was I would jump and make a mission quick and help that FB . 

Now I don't even bother because of the mess of trying to make said mission , one time it works then it doesn't. Just frustrates me and I feel like logging. Now I go to hell with the FB but I save myself the aggrevation.

Now I do like the attrition aspect of 1.36 , always thought it was silly that when one has a town surrounded HC could just pop in a fresh Brigade with full supply.

What I would like to see in game and I have written about it a few times is that the 2 towns behind the Frontline are also vulnerable  ( to Paratroopers) .

To ease the burden on HC I think an AO should come effective once the AWS goes double double on any town being attacked and it stays active till there are no more AWS icon in the Map for that town. 

Once the icons are off a new double double needs to be achieved again.  This goes for the 2 rear towns too so in other words a big Para unit needs to be present ( new icon would have to be introduced into game *Para AWS* it needs to be full red to make that town a AO ( rear towns only captureable and recapturable by Para units)

If one side takes a rear town a Para flag would be present in that town of that nation so signaling it's in a Paratroopers unit hand , and that Para Brigade would be in that town as spawnable forces. Out of depots they would get AAA and ATG capabilities.  ( we all know the other side would show up with Tanks and EA so we have to give them a fighting chance)

Also to give something back to our HC that actually like the chess part of the game , they could stock towns with 2 Brigades , no more so there is a strategy aspect of the game , one reason why some of them became HC cause that's what they like. But because the players hold the AO card with setting AWS off with double double we don't need no HC online for AOs,  but if HC makes the wrong chess move it could cost one side so it be up to both the player base and HC and not only HC to carry the burden.

Thanks if you read all the way to this. I know it is a bit long .

S! Dre21 

4 people like this

The idea of 'regional' or area AOs is a good one and has been outlined in detail in Kilemall's 'New AO' (NAO) system thing. There's a lot of posts about it around. 

The other stuff, yeah its irritating or tiresome but I'm not seeing the 'make a mission' issue (tho there is a new one about missions /spawning from one - but rarer now if not gone) - and some are cosmetic. Would imagine some of this is being dealt with by Rats 2.0  + Volunteers as they can get to it. 

Edited by sorella

Thanks for your feedback dre.  One thing for sure is we are always looking for ways to improve gameplay and the game experience.  1.36 has brought significant changes and we think it's only fair to at least let the first campaign play out.  Although not perfect, we have some seriously great battles happening in game and town's changing ownership back and forth multiple times.  

UI Changes are coming!

S!

I'm loving the gameplay and setup, I know everyone has their views and directions for game but I think it's been great so far post 1.36

4 people like this

I totally agree dre21 making missions is a mess, i'm having a hard time with them myself.  Using .J is big help if you know who is where.

Capture timers ruined the game 50% for me;  no navy infantry the last 50%.

Hanging in there,  because I enjoy the game, but no more heart for it.

Still think overall game direction good.

Been many good battles this map I'd say.

Edited by delems

i blame delems he killed the game off and matamor

Edited by actonman

I think the one big buzz kill for me is , and I'm a Veteran of the game , now think if I would be a new player.

The Map pops up and I see a Flag here and there as a new player I would gravitate towards these flags cause it represents there is something there.

In other words as we have it now the Map looks dead and that is just looking at the map , not even trying to find a battle or even trying to navigate anything in game.

I look at the Map like I do a deli counter , it's full one is more likely to buy something cause its pleasing to the eye. It's empty one rather walks by and goes gets the prepackaged lunch meat.

Does that make sense ? It does to me.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, dre21 said:

I think the one big buzz kill for me is , and I'm a Veteran of the game , now think if I would be a new player.

The Map pops up and I see a Flag here and there as a new player I would gravitate towards these flags cause it represents there is something there.

In other words as we have it now the Map looks dead and that is just looking at the map , not even trying to find a battle or even trying to navigate anything in game.

I look at the Map like I do a deli counter , it's full one is more likely to buy something cause its pleasing to the eye. It's empty one rather walks by and goes gets the prepackaged lunch meat.

I was thinking square flag for garrisons only, current flag for brigade plus.

The map does look empty, but then so is discord, and seemingly the game much of the time. I am not really seeing many more playing post 1.36 and the termination of WBS - it cannot all just be down to the balls ache of trying to set up a mission.

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

I was thinking square flag for garrisons only, current flag for brigade plus.

Something to make the Map POP , these dots that we have now are like nothing . It's total lack luster . 

9 hours ago, actonman said:

i blame delems he killed the game off and matamor

I blamed delems too only cause you blamed him first

17 hours ago, ian77 said:

The map does look empty, but then so is discord, and seemingly the game much of the time. I am not really seeing many more playing post 1.36 and the termination of WBS - it cannot all just be down to the balls ache of trying to set up a mission.

To the reason why players log in less you can add the reasons why many vets unsubbed recently.  And you have the explanation.

19 hours ago, dre21 said:

Yes.

Image result for funny deli gif

if staring at the map was a significant player draw then there never would have been a HC shortage lol

5 hours ago, david06 said:

if staring at the map was a significant player draw then there never would have been a HC shortage lol

You are missing the point I think ( unless I miss understand your post)

Any other game out there you find a server and it actually shows you the players in said server. You log in you know you will run into someone due to map size and knowing before hand how many player are in said server.

Here you log in and you do not know  the player numbers , you look at a huge  map that and all you see now is a flag in a few towns , and a whole bunch of other towns with no flags ( but dots which are really overlooked rather easily)

Now as a new player I would go what the heck is going on here.  

Why a shortage of HC cause many players don't want to deal with that aspect of the game , they want to fight /play /kill/capture and so on . They don't care about the strategy aspect of the game. 

I have been with the game since 2001 , I have thought about HC a few times but then the few hours I have to play , I want to play and not play chess on a map. Sure that has now changed with 1.36 but then I have heard we lost a few HC members because if 1.36 . Well these players liked the chess aspect of the game the strategy part of it . That done they decided to leave. 

Every action CRS does has a reaction .

Heard also that the Hispanos 250 to the most part left the game and all it took was the change of the LMG . CRS might have gained a few players back but pretty much lost a whole Squad in the process.   

At this time I don't know what's good anymore , changes that fundamentally change the whole game with the hopes to bring long lost players back. Or to just improve the game with new toys and bug fixes and keep the players we have and with the hopes older lost players come back.

If you ask me I rather go with the 2nd option , cause banking on players coming back by changing the whole game has not worked so far.  But bug fixes that did drive players away and new stuff added to the game that does not change the overall feel seems to work a whole lot better.

That's just my observation and opinion.

We all know the game can't live without players, I might not log on as much right now but I still pay my sub . And it's getting warmer in Wisconsin so I have to take advantage of the 2 weeks of summer we get here :)

1 person likes this

I logged in a LOT less for about 10 years.

Popped on WBS, thought it was nostalgic and sorta fun. Same problems as always. Been messing with F2P since.

Just rage quit again.

Town not contested yet, tables not hot for a few more minutes. EI already all over the AB.

That should not, and should never have been a thing. Literally a couple ei on the veh roof, more inside a cp in the AB. Buildings shooting in. Just everywhere.

It was crappy gameplay in 2000, it was just as bad at release, and nearly 20 years later, here we are. Nothing in the game is as important as fixing the basic gameplay mechanics. The idea of getting into a town and wrecking havoc could possibly have some merit under the assumption of military discipline on the part of defenders, and that those defenders are at some critical number 24/7/365 in each and every town. Given the gameplay extant in the game, by the time the town has fewer defenders than CPs actually spawned in, it's usually already crawling with the enemy, homogeneously mixed within the entire town, including the "AB". Before the tables are hot, the AI should be 360 degrees, and 100% lethal.

Time for a beer, and NOT being in game.

Edited by tater

25 minutes ago, tater said:

I logged in a LOT less for about 10 years.

Popped on WBS, thought it was nostalgic and sorta fun. Same problems as always. Been messing with F2P since.

Just rage quit again.

Town not contested yet, tables not hot for a few more minutes. EI already all over the AB.

That should not, and should never have been a thing. Literally a couple ei on the veh roof, more inside a cp in the AB. Buildings shooting in. Just everywhere.

It was crappy gameplay in 2000, it was just as bad at release, and nearly 20 years later, here we are. Nothing in the game is as important as fixing the basic gameplay mechanics. The idea of getting into a town and wrecking havoc could possibly have some merit under the assumption of military discipline on the part of defenders, and that those defenders are at some critical number 24/7/365 in each and every town. Given the gameplay extant in the game, by the time the town has fewer defenders than CPs actually spawned in, it's usually already crawling with the enemy, homogeneously mixed within the entire town, including the "AB". Before the tables are hot, the AI should be 360 degrees, and 100% lethal.

Time for a beer, and NOT being in game.

EWS tells you the enemy are there, and gives an indication as to numbers. How much more help do you want as a defender? You ask for more and better AI, but the attackers will kill it, or do you want indestructible AI? Then you wont ever need to spawn in on a DO again......

Most attacks fail, this game is geared to help defenses, spawn somewhere else and kill the cutters, as you say the tables were not even hot so you dont need to rush into a CP, use a depot and hunt the ei cutters - top of the vehicle spawn should be easy to get to.

Or go grab a beer, wait for the AO to cool, or go to another AO or DO, but keep the beer. :) 

S! ian 

The gameplay (in particular the spawn and cap rules) promote absurd, ahistorical, unimmersive, ragequit inducing, gameplay that is a far cry from what players expect when they think about the "virtual battlefield", thats just a fact. There it is, CRS doesn't have to do anything about it, its their game after all, but there it is. 

Edited by blggles
4 people like this

This game is slmost 2 decades old.

Actually its probably a normal thing to be playing the same game less and less two decades later. :)

We should all be playing  this game less and less over time.  This is totally normal thing - human nature.

And there  is nothing wrong with the current game.  Its amazing it has lasted as long as it had, but its an old dinosaur now.  

What is needed is WW2 Online 2.0.  Not endless updates that keep tweaking the current game engine and postponing a newer game engine forever.  

At this rate, I will probably be dead before WW2 Online 2.0 becomes a reality someday.  Lol

Edited by krazydog
4 people like this

1 hour ago, ian77 said:

EWS tells you the enemy are there, and gives an indication as to numbers. How much more help do you want as a defender? You ask for more and better AI, but the attackers will kill it, or do you want indestructible AI? Then you wont ever need to spawn in on a DO again......

In the real world, the troops defending the city would already be there, in the places their leaders put them. The "EWS" would be when enemy vanguards hit the defenses, and shots are fired (or are spotted and called in).

The defense of a town was not a tiny number of people who had to move to appropriate positions within 5 minutes of hearing that the enemy were a few km away.

I indeed want more, and better AI, and have in this game for nearly 20 years. I want a ww2 experience, not quake writ large.

How much help do I want as a defender? I'd be fine with none if the player population was always enough that any defensive unit (brigade, whatever) has exactly as many players out in the field defensively arrayed, as the same size unit attacking does.

If an attack has just 20 players, but there are 2 brigades supplying the attack, and the D has one, then I'm even fine with 10 guys on D---as long as they are already where they think is optimal before EWS even goes off. (note that even this assumes the attack is semi-realistic and doesn't drive around and spawn an army from the wrong side of the front).

Most attacks fail, this game is geared to help defenses, spawn somewhere else and kill the cutters, as you say the tables were not even hot so you dont need to rush into a CP, use a depot and hunt the ei cutters - top of the vehicle spawn should be easy to get to.

How is this immersive, exactly?

That's literally the only thing I care about. I want it to feel like it could possibly be ww2. 

Infantry within a town before they really attack? Sure, there's a mechanism in game for that, paratroopers. Short of that, it's not a thing.

The game is geared to help defenses because in RL there should be already be defenses in place, 24/7 in an are where a unit was deployed. heck, they's have patrols in addition to defensive arrays of troops.

Or go grab a beer, wait for the AO to cool, or go to another AO or DO, but keep the beer. :) 

S! ian 

Wait for someplace else to go? So I could participate in the exact kind of sneaky nonsense I hate defending against? I'd rather have everyone on both sides spawn into one place, and let the defense spend as long as they like arraying themselves, and to attack it we have to actually attack it. If we want anyone appearing in their rear, we should have to drop them out of aircraft.

I could also go to another DO... which would be exactly the same as what I was complaining about.

Alternately, I could pretend it was a LONG time ago, and place myself out from a town not under attack (alone), and kill a few units OTW to set up if they happen to place an AO.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, ian77 said:

S! ian 

The core gameplay mechanics here revolve around denying your opponent the ability to play the game. That's not a recipe for fun, yet that has always been the primary goal - CAMP. Camp everything. Using different words for it, like "cutters" doesn't change what it is. The goal of camping is to remove the contest from the objective, essentially create an absence of gameplay such that your opponent quits. Then the blame can be put upon the opponents for quitting, and it continues on and on.

I'm not arguing that one side is any more or less guilty of this tactic, it's not a side issue. It's just not fun - especially when you are new to the game. It's like playing a game of chess where you're just trying to swat the pieces off the board. Is it effective? In a sense, but it totally defeats the purpose of a game. There really isn't any reason to keep beating this dead horse, everybody knows that camping sucks - but everybody is going to keep on doing it and making justifications for why it's cool and I'm a loser for not liking it.

2 people like this

A further issue with gameplay is how just one or two ei can mole a target, and either pull a considerable amount of defenders  (depending on the target value), or get ignored to the point that they can cap a spawnable(s).

This is totally immersion breaking and frankly poor gameplay design. We all do it now tho as it is very effective when done correctly (throttle the fms to keep ews low etc)

I think we should not be able to cap until we have double inf ews as well as a sliding scale of the double ews setting according to game pop. This means less multi accounts hiding in closets or bushes waiting to cap/suppress.

There ARE things we can do NOW to fix gameplay..lets focus on what we can do to keep the hamster fed!