• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
dre21

The reason why I log in less

96 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Kilemall said:

They have a town marker to key player unit count to.  Not the same as an object they can proximity far 10000x across the map.

You could incorporate the idea of ZOCs into current gameplay using the flag positions with suggested mechanics - proximity of numbers turns off or limits spawning from local facility, balance of friendly vs nme troops in area count toward capture/ownership. Would be a bunch of circular ZOCs around capture points.

4 hours ago, biggles4 said:

You could incorporate the idea of ZOCs into current gameplay using the flag positions with suggested mechanics - proximity of numbers turns off or limits spawning from local facility, balance of friendly vs nme troops in area count toward capture/ownership. Would be a bunch of circular ZOCs around capture points.

What about MSPs? They have some sort of rules, but I can't find the specifics. Can MSPs deploy anywhere outside some distance of the city center, or do they also look at the FB?

The wiki says they must be within some range of a target, but I see no mention of exclusion, other than the frontier being a no go zone. They also mention you cannot place one on top of another (specifically it mentioned enemy).

What are the MSP (I'm gonna use that to apply to all of them as a group) variables that exist in code?

A sort of ZoC system could possibly be built with nothing but persistent MS with rules about placement. I always argued that MSPs should actually contain the spawn lists they have. Meaning that when the MSP is destroyed, those units are lost (all, or just some %---how long they take to resupply to the parent Brigade can be balanced). The idea is that when a Brigade is moved someplace, players set up persistent MSPs within some set of rules that account for most all of the spawn list. They might just be squads in terms of number per MSP. Maybe UMS is inf squads (a rural version could be a foxhole), FMS is ATG and an inf squad. Ideally these would show up on the map when players chose missions.

MSPs have to be set within 3000m of the target, whether offensive or defensive, and more than 300m or so from an nme flag. They can be placed right next to nme MSPs.

The sort of system you suggest is ideal. I was just speculating more along the lines of what is shorter term possible. I do think that the area between cities that have no linking FBs is proper ground for experimentation with persistent mobile spawns ala what you suggest. In fact I was going to make a post (not my first) regarding what I see as the most practical first step in that direction - persistent defensive missions. Since missions can have MSPs attached, persistent missions could have persistent defensive positions in the field. Then you could jigger the placement and spawn rules to make for something of a moving front between the towns. Often times in this game, even a good fight can become dull when its simply an endless running battle between spawnables. Having the fight move across the countryside, with more limited spawning as you suggest, would provide much more variety to the fight. Would be much more tactically interesting.

One concept I just realized about the front line thing would be for FMS to perform a check against 'closest enemy facility'.  If that facility is closer to your point of origin (typically FB, sometimes AB or depot) then the FMS cannot be laid, only an LMS.

I think this would result in having to clear facilities in a broad band fighting forward, but there could be weirdnesses especially in big cities.  The surrounding FMS could still be laid, but they would have to be more distant and carefully laid to be allowed.

You could probably do coding for a check against the town marker for the same, but you couldn't have the sense of 'won ground' as you inch forward with facility caps, and town markers are often not set in town centers so some town 'front lines' would be wonky.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I realize the towns, and particularly cities could be a problem in some cases, but the reality is that EVERY town is a problem as things stand, because there is never a front. I'd rather have a system where a few towns/cities are really wonky, but 90% of the battles have a sense of taking ground, either into a town, or taking ground around it before surrounding it.

A few of us were posting stuff about how MSPs could make a front literally before they were introduced (when it was just a training thing).

I saw a post recently from a Rat that said that the MSP range was reduced to speed battles (that must be the 300m range from enemy facilities @biggles mentioned (thanks!)). If the range was instead the range to enemy MSPs... battles are just as fast, but there could still be a front.

7 hours ago, biggles4 said:

MSPs have to be set within 3000m of the target, whether offensive or defensive, and more than 300m or so from an nme flag. They can be placed right next to nme MSPs.

Does the FB count as a target or enemy flag?

I might turn the FBs on all the time, and have them captured, not destroyed. If they count as 2 flags (veh and inf), the veh capture is easy, walk in and occupy the space. The inf tent would have to be blown first to capture it (so the capping inf could occupy the texture).

As for spawn lists, I'm not sure how the code deals with that. Over a decade ago I said in a thread about the unlikely possibility of MSPs that they should be persistent (until taken out), and that they should somehow contain the units within them, so that when taken out, some of the spawn list for the parent unit (Brigade/whatever) is temporarily reduced (however long those units take to refill it).

On a related note, yesterday afternoon/evening, I was in Virton (sp?), and the Germans had put up a few FMS north of town. There was little armor around, and a group of us as infantry  were patrolling N to find where the inf were coming from. That was typical play. When we found them, OTOH, it got interesting. Lots of Germans, lots of us, they were N, we were S, and it was in the trees, with some actual cover terrain.

<S> to any of the Germans playing in there, that few minutes was the reason I resubscribed. It felt like a small unit action. The terrain on either side of the skinny woods was open, so few were out there. It was a fire and advance fight, and grenade were thrown, smoke popped, etc. I've had similar experiences in towns where at least one Depot is spaced well away from the rest of town. Having a front is always more fun, what stinks in the game is constantly getting killed by someone literally standing behind you.

I've always hated the 360 degree fights, and I've always hated the porosity of towns. I'd actually be in favor of PPOs that are designed for blocking doors and windows---with firing holes of some sort. I'd much rather face a MG34 in a stronghold than one where literally all I have to do is hide in a bush where I cannot be seen and shoot him in the eye, or listen for the noise, and run up and shoot him in the back. Such PPOs would have to be blown (rifles all have charges), which would at least alert the defenders. Yeah, they'd block CPs, too. If you can blow a door to assault it, maybe you shouldn't get to capture it.

2 people like this

FB acts as both target and flag in regards to MSP placement. Defensive MSP can be placed right at the FB, but attacking MSP is limited to same distances as flag, though it measures from the FB mark on the map, not the actual objects. When an FB is not there, however, the MSP can be placed anywhere.

23 minutes ago, biggles4 said:

FB acts as both target and flag in regards to MSP placement. Defensive MSP can be placed right at the FB, but attacking MSP is limited to same distances as flag, though it measures from the FB mark on the map, not the actual objects. When an FB is not there, however, the MSP can be placed anywhere.

Thanks.

So the FBs could likely be turned on, and perhaps their floor textures made capture points.

What happens if one side controls a part of town such that the nearest enemy facility is far away, and they then place MSPs closer to town (but still away from enemy facilities), and then they lose their facilities?

Ie: Enemy attacks from East, takes the entire E side of town. The move MSPs towards, even into the E side of town. Defenders then recap the E CP, does it kill the EFMS which was placed closer to the Depot than 300m when they owned the depot?

2 hours ago, delems said:

No, the close MS stays up.

That's too bad. I wonder if it could auto-close it, though? I'm trying to think of things to do that are not massive work for the people who'd have to do it.

On 6/8/2019 at 0:58 PM, biggles4 said:

I like it.

reason I log in less , just now at Achel was prone in bunker with lmg ,and  ei come up the stairs mopving into the radio room. Im on other side of hall. I unload a 50 round drum into both of them. They run around like im not there :(  One runs into the corner of the room im in, and I reload ,and Im re-lining mg on him, and hit him . Then Im dead with no kills and 1 cap , which I never capped nothing was in bunker the whole time :( 

20 hours ago, Kilemall said:

One concept I just realized about the front line thing would be for FMS to perform a check against 'closest enemy facility'.  If that facility is closer to your point of origin (typically FB, sometimes AB or depot) then the FMS cannot be laid, only an LMS.

I think this would result in having to clear facilities in a broad band fighting forward, but there could be weirdnesses especially in big cities.  The surrounding FMS could still be laid, but they would have to be more distant and carefully laid to be allowed.

Would love to see things like this tried during intermission to see how it plays, but I reckon they've not got the resources.

1 hour ago, biggles4 said:

Would love to see things like this tried during intermission to see how it plays, but I reckon they've not got the resources.

Instead of whining from above your free account, maybe you should contribute for these lack of resources?

3 people like this

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, xanthus said:

Agreed.

I do have suggestions for making it better.

- End building-based capture.

- End building-based spawn.

- Replace with zone-based capture and require player number threshold (e.g. one player can kill a lot of people, but he cannot cap a zone by himself, ever).

- Automatic, temporary disabling of spawning when a certain threshold of enemy units are within a certain range of a spawn point. There will be some feedback on the map when a spawn point is "compromised" by the enemy. Spawning restored as soon as enemies removed from this range. If you failed to prevent them from occupying the area, then you don't get to spawn there anymore. Period. It's now up to the defenders on the ground to eject the enemy, and dead players must join the fight from other spawn locations.

- Because capping is now zone-based, long cap timers can actually be a *good* thing. Attackers will be able to move around and defend their cap-in-progress because they won't be confined to the inside of a single building. This will allow time for the defenders to regain the zone and/or restore spawning from the spawn points associated with that zone. Imagine a group of cappers have shut down enemy spawning, and they're now capping; they'd better rush to find good positions to withstand counter-attacks so they can hold the zone.

- Caps can now be interrupted and indefinitely *paused* if a certain threshold of defenders are within the cap zone. So if the defenders are able to get back into the cap zone (remember, no one-man-caps, so no ridiculous moling), then the cap bar/progress stops moving. Cap progress will continue (in one direction or the other), when one side or the other has been largely removed from the cap zone.

- Spawning for infantry now takes place in random locations near (but NOT within) a cap zone; e.g. a back alley here, a nearby building there. This works perfectly in other modern FPS games.

+1  But we have to work with the restrictions of the game engine, and CRS resources. While the above would be great, I doubt it can be made to happen any time soon.

Anyway, returning to the OP, as for logging in less, I have resubbed my second account, and much to the delight of my wife, I am #1 for TOM.  :D   Really enjoying the game right now in T0 (which I usually hate) and while the 30sec SD isn't great, it is better than 120 secs we once had, and can be lived with - the faster multi player cap timers really seem to be working and promoting teamwork. Afterall, if the Low Pop side grab a spawn it just creates another fight with lots of  action, or if the OP defenders choose not to respond, the UP gets a town! :)   I am even coming around to the concept of garrison supply remaining in every depot after the AB has fallen, Genk yesterday was a hell of a fight, centered around the CP far to the South that would have previously folded since there would have been no supply. The fight raged around that CP for an hour, before the main town started to be recapped, then the fighting moved back to the town and lasted another good 30 mins. A great fight, with plenty of action and fun for both sides. 

I think the secret to enjoying the game more, is to not worry about the Map and just look to make the fight you are in count. If you suffer one too many lag deaths, grab a beer, then go blow an FB or two! :)

S! Ian 

6 people like this

When the winter returns..the knee shall be bent!

Summertime has me busy!

I appreciate people wondering why I am not playing as much.

XOXO miss you all.

If it cools down I will sit inside and whoop your arses.

S!

LIES

3 hours ago, ian77 said:

+1  But we have to work with the restrictions of the game engine, and CRS resources. While the above would be great, I doubt it can be made to happen any time soon.

Anyway, returning to the OP, as for logging in less, I have resubbed my second account, and much to the delight of my wife, I am #1 for TOM.  :D   Really enjoying the game right now in T0 (which I usually hate) and while the 30sec SD isn't great, it is better than 120 

S! Ian 

I thought rans was your wife?

2 minutes ago, Jsilec said:

I thought rans was your wife?

Wouldn't that make Bus0 and Canukplf my inlaws?  Sheesh, Christmas dinner just got ugly really fast....

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, tatonka said:

reason I log in less , just now at Achel was prone in bunker with lmg ,and  ei come up the stairs mopving into the radio room. Im on other side of hall. I unload a 50 round drum into both of them. They run around like im not there :(  One runs into the corner of the room im in, and I reload ,and Im re-lining mg on him, and hit him . Then Im dead with no kills and 1 cap , which I never capped nothing was in bunker the whole time :( 

I was online, when I saw what you wrote , pretty much as you have said here . Lots of weird stuff going on last night. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, matamor said:

Instead of whining from above your free account, maybe you should contribute for these lack of resources?

Apologies for my other post. Was just meant to be the sort of razzing I would say to my friends or brothers. Since you are neither I probably should have forebore, or at least attached a smiley. Anyway, S!, god bless, and may your hunting bag be ever full of prey!

On 10/06/2019 at 6:42 PM, dre21 said:

I was online, when I saw what you wrote , pretty much as you have said here . Lots of weird stuff going on last night. 

The hotfix seems to sorted the weird stuff, especially the audio.

S! Ian

1 person likes this