• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
    • CHIMM

18th Anniversary Event Awards!   06/23/2019

This year we are giving out trophies and awards for the top players during the "Kill a RAT" event! We need the following players to contact @CHIMM at chimm@corneredrats.com with your physical address to mail these out.   @mook2  @dasei88  @c00per  @kardehk  @chau90  @kdped02  @Simcha  @pulfer  @bus0    
ZEBBEEE

FB bombing is back

35 posts in this topic

@Kilemall 

• To add more targets for the bombers, we have added the ability for bombers to partially destroy a Forward Base. You will still need to get boots on the ground to finish it off, but bombs can now destroy the vehicle spawn and the others tents but can not damage the infantry spawn. This will also draw more bombers towards the FBs which in turn will give the AA guns more targets at the FBs. And maybe with more bombers in the air, it will spur on more fighters.

Source :

https://www.wwiionline.com/community-notes/reports/16634-upcoming-1-36-1-0-release-overview

4 people like this

Your choice.  I see where this might be attractive and definitely good move to still force the ground finish, but a lot of those FBs are empty and not manned with guards much less AA. 

The net result most of the time is going to be more easily killed off attacks.  Without a Proximty AO off mechanism (or my preferred solution, more coded Reserve/KOTH HC tools), going to be easier to blow FBs and therefore more attacks killed off and therefore more empty AOs during no-HC times.

Hope it gets more air into the game.

A nice thought for the Air players, but kinda defeats the purpose of increasing the number of charges needed to take down a FB. Also may want to consider increasing the number of AAA pieces available given that the aircraft damage models that need fixed haven't been yet, else you risk pissing off a lot of players that can't get away from the fb due to being bombed. That can be hard enough as it is now.

Dont like it as has been pointed out this can make fb busting easier and thwart attacks quicker

You still need engineers on the ground to finish the FB off.  Bombers don't have a game-breaking impact, but they do have an impact on FB damage now.  That's a positive imo.

1 person likes this

I agree with the change - as Capco pointed out, the infantry spawn can only be taken out by a ground assault, only the vehicle spawn can be destroyed from the air. This simulates the vulnerability of vehicles to air attack while showing the difficulty of attacking point infantry targets, at least abstractly. So tactical air power can have a major effect on the enemy but it still needs to be followed up by a ground attack.  

1 person likes this

Didn't we make FBs harder to kill for a reason?  It's already hard to attack, now you're gonna make it harder by making the FBs an easier target? 

One step forward, 2 steps back...

9 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

Didn't we make FBs harder to kill for a reason?  It's already hard to attack, now you're gonna make it harder by making the FBs an easier target? 

One step forward, 2 steps back...

Moe this game is set up to make defending as easy as possible - some towns have fallen in the last few days so we need to make it easier to kill off AOs, hence the return to bomb damage on FBs. Now EA can buzz around bombing every FB on the map just in case an AO is placed later, also it will really help FB campers, because bombers will open the VEH spawn for EA and ETs to camp - way more fun for the defenders if they can kill the enemy before they can possibly return fire.

Sheesh Moe you should know this stuff after 15 years.

S! Ian 

PS  Oh goodie, even less effective attacking and more defensive camping - that will really get more people playing for longer.....

2 people like this

I think it is worth trying, seems easy enough to revert if if doesn't work?

Though, may want to start the FB repair process a bit sooner and have it repair a tad faster now.

Edited by delems

47 minutes ago, delems said:

I think it is worth trying, seems easy enough to revert if if doesn't work?

Though, may want to start the FB repair process a bit sooner and have it repair a tad faster now.

Or have the bombs only damage FBs with an AO/DO on them...

No taking down every single FB vehicle spawn along the front...

2 people like this

The sky fairies will just bomb every fb vehicle randomly so what damage and how many bombs needed?

Not too many sky fairy's left...Hopefully we get some of them back

2 people like this

@MosizlakKinda surprised at your reaction. This will (hopefully should?) bring bombers to the fbs like back in the old days of aagun fly swatting. But this time the bombs only affect the veh (and the "other") and it takes quite a few. Only a HE111 carries enough bombs to drop a veh spawn in a single sortie but that's only if he can directly hit the tent with each bomb. 

Inf can still drop a fb without bomber help, takes same number of saps as it has.

So, no DB7 or Havoc will drop a veh spawn on a single sortie. They will be able, if each bomb hits the tent, bring it close to down. 

HE111 can bring a veh spawn to 100% damage but again it takes a direct hits.

Near miss'..... Gotta be very close miss to do any damage and it drops off fast as to how much missed by.

And I'll add this.

I'd like to think I'm fairly good at dropping bombs. That said I on average didn't get full on hits with every bomb drop in testing, even with the fact that there was no aa or nme fighters to dodge.

It's gonna take pratice to be able to take them down and I imagine if it gets to the point that it seems too easy we may well decide to up whats needed.

52 minutes ago, OLDZEKE said:

@MosizlakKinda surprised at your reaction. This will (hopefully should?) bring bombers to the fbs like back in the old days of aagun fly swatting. But this time the bombs only affect the veh (and the "other") and it takes quite a few. Only a HE111 carries enough bombs to drop a veh spawn in a single sortie but that's only if he can directly hit the tent with each bomb. 

Inf can still drop a fb without bomber help, takes same number of saps as it has.

So, no DB7 or Havoc will drop a veh spawn on a single sortie. They will be able, if each bomb hits the tent, bring it close to down. 

HE111 can bring a veh spawn to 100% damage but again it takes a direct hits.

Near miss'..... Gotta be very close miss to do any damage and it drops off fast as to how much missed by.

I hear ya, Zeke, but I still think that making it harder to attack is bad. 

Willing to see how this plays out, though. 

15 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

I hear ya, Zeke, but I still think that making it harder to attack is bad. 

Willing to see how this plays out, though. 

The intent is not to make attacking harder. This is to give folks more reason to fly. Bombers need targets that they feel helps with the overall effort. Fighters need more reason to fly than just swat the solo guy bombing a AOed town. With that we need to try and keep it interesting and desirable without it being overpowering.

Hopefully we can come up with more target types for bombers and ground (and maybe someday even navy...) that draw a fight over them.

Tough to do as what jack and jill think is a good idea tends to piss off mark and mary.

2 people like this

In general,  I always thought FBs have been too hard to take down since FB damage levels were changed a couple years ago.

And you know what?  .... I don’t think I like this airpower damaging fb change.  Lol

Allowing airplanes to damage fbs is just too easy for air power.  I think we will now see most fbs on the map at a damage level that is equal to the level that airpower is capable of dishing out.

I think the Rats have reached a point now where they are starting to add too many changes to the game-  (change just or the sake of changing something).  A lot of these new changes are just not needed really  

I think the Rats time and energy would be better spent on figuring out how to implement WW2 online 2.0, tather than constantly tweaking the gameplay of the current game engine.

Just my 2 cents.  Cheers!

Edited by krazydog
2 people like this

It is obvious that the air game has suffered and is insufficiently considered. Still it is the main part of the game that could allow the v1.0 to run longer, despite outdated graphics, because our PvP concept over a huge map and a combined arms environment is not to find anywhere else.

Bombers are a nice illustration of our combined arms game, we must thus give them back a role on the tactical part of the map, aside factory bombing. Some changes are also coming to the starter subscription to further help that part of the war effort, as will the new air-only subscription.

Also, 1.36 opened the door for a more dynamic and aggressive town capture: Offering new options for FB destruction, decreasing the capture timers, changing the way AOs are placed etc, are coming as logical consequences to avoid a stalled map and give players more frequent opportunities to achieve something and make the difference. 

Don't forget CRS2.0 is in an agile approach. Anything can be adjusted if it doesn't work out. 

My personal opinion is w000t some refreshing challenges!

2 people like this

I wish we could have real bugs/problems fixed rather than just making attacking and sustaining an AO that much harder.  Or the dozens of new towns we have never fought in and probably will never fight in. The god-awful spawnlists from "The Hardest Campaign Ever" that seems to have lost us so many players.

How about fixing the engine audio bug?

The satchel audio/no explosion at FB audio bug?

The UI to make setting missions easier?

The audit of Air Craft damage models?

Spawn in green button bug?

Supposedly we have a great physics engine but a 232 or opel when it collides with a tiger will send the tiger spinning off the road!!  A tracked tank bounces up and down uncontrollably!

Any chance of these being "fixed"?

If you want to help the flyboys how about the rain/grey skies and fish bowl? I don't fly but I hear lots of complaints from fliers about these - very few requests (none actually) to be able to bomb the Veh Spawn at an FB.

I know the RATS are volunteers and god love them for it, but we seem to be fixing things that dont need fixing, and ignoring long term bugs.

S! Ian 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ian77 said:

I wish we could have real bugs/problems fixed rather than just making attacking and sustaining an AO that much harder.  Or the dozens of new towns we have never fought in and probably will never fight in. The god-awful spawnlists from "The Hardest Campaign Ever" that seems to have lost us so many players.

Supposedly we have a great physics engine but a 232 or opel when it collides with a tiger will send the tiger spinning off the road!!  A tracked tank bounces up and down uncontrollably!

If you want to help the flyboys how about the rain/grey skies and fish bowl? I don't fly but I hear lots of complaints from fliers about these - very few requests (none actually) to be able to bomb the Veh Spawn at an FB.

I know the RATS are volunteers and god love them for it, but we seem to be fixing things that dont need fixing, and ignoring long term bugs.

S! Ian 

The bugs and features that require coders like me, generally take a lot of time to investigate and fix, I only get a couple of hours some evenings after my child is in bed, therefore things take weeks or in some cases months to complete. I wish I had more time to fix/add more things quicker but I don't. All the volunteer coders put in as much time as they can.

Just remember that there is also a Production team that fix bugs and add features too so half of the work is done by them.

2 people like this

Thank you Nick and your fellow RATs for your hard work and dedication. It truly is appreciated. S!

S! Ian 

2 people like this

Yes, thanks to Nick & the other Rats for their Time, hard work & dedication. But it still won't take a terribly long time for the dedicated bombers (OldZeke, Rebel357 for example) to take down those parts of an FB that they can. Especially if no one shows up to try & defend with AAA that may get dead as soon as it spawns, or shortly after.

7 hours ago, ian77 said:

S! Ian 

Several items on that list are being actively looked at hunted for fix.

As to adding stuff, most of what has been added is from crs members that can't don't work on those bits. 

So adding terrain or variant models is not slowing bug fixes as those folks do not do bug fix coding.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, derfflingr said:

Yes, thanks to Nick & the other Rats for their Time, hard work & dedication. But it still won't take a terribly long time for the dedicated bombers (OldZeke, Rebel357 for example) to take down those parts of an FB that they can. Especially if no one shows up to try & defend with AAA that may get dead as soon as it spawns, or shortly after.

Oh yeah spawn AAA at the FB when bombers have destroyed the little protection that used to be afforded.... yet again the few ruining the fun of the many. RDP bombing kills off the supply for the majority of players and now they get to speed up the killing off of AOs... we loose enough trucks to EA and now the trucks will soon not be able to even spawn in. I am sure someone will post about combined arms and team work, but once again the teamwork and real combined arms has to come from the attackers and one or two lone wolves can screw the AO.

Great for the dozen bombers and the turtles, another nail for any would be attackers.

S! Ian 

9 minutes ago, derfflingr said:

Takes direct hits on the fb veh. 1 DB& or Havoc load will not do the job. 1 HE111 can if he/she is very good and no AA around. Same with DB78/Havoc, AA gonna make it tough