sydspain

I don't understand

33 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, tater said:

Does the capture mechanic require being in the building or could it simply be a radius, inside or out?

The easiest answer is to say, it is not based off a radius and the capture mechanism is based on the model texture.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, SCKING said:

The easiest answer is to say, it is not based off a radius and the capture mechanism is based on the model texture.

Gotcha. That makes any changes... non-trivial, I imagine.

13 hours ago, xohorvath said:

@ZEBBEEE as you listen, there are other viewpoints to consider.

In response to delems, 100m-200m away from a depot? First it's the timers to make it easier. Then, we are going to separate the cps from the depots and make it even more easy to cap? 100/200m? No way. 1 tank can cut a cp with their eyes closed. 

There are already enough towns that have cps 100/200m away from the depot. CQB makes it challenging. You actually have to be good instead of sniping or cutting in a tank from another 200/300m away. When campaigns begin, most of the towns have cps and depots relatively close. The further you move East or West on the map, and usually near the last 1/2 of a campaign, the cps are definitely already spread out from the depots. You get one, maybe two chances to kill ei capping. By the time you spawn back in and have to walk 1/200 meters, cp is capped. 

Couldn't disagree more with moving the cps hundreds of meters away and changing cap timers so drastically. Want a cp? Earn it. 

this is all absolutely terrible advice

it is suicidal for a game that sells itself on scale to have most of it's infantry combat occur within 10m, doubly so when the game's weakest points are its infantry mechanics, hit detection and building interiors

if CQB combat is so good like you claim (and not absolutely loathed) then I dare you to post some video of depot combat on any other online game forum

no really, show the best CQB combat this game has to offer and I will be amazed if you don't get laughed at

if a tank cuts the path then so what, it's a depot not the AB and the attacker obviously has been able to get armor to the edge of town...just what do you think "earns" a depot capture?

someone puts together a team and they cut your path to the depot then they earned it, go sit in the bunker if you want easy SMG killstreaks

maybe it would be great to literally make teamwork and tactics overpowered, rather than let lonewolf players defend against anything simply by exploiting lag and CQB auto spam

Edited by david06

Since @SCKINGsaid that it's texture related, I'm unsure what that means for changing the capture mechanics. 

My personal observations (that pretty much mimic what @david06has been saying) are that most of the facilities that can be captured are boring places to play, but absolutely required to stay in if the goal is to not lose. At least 1 guard, all the time, and if the town isn't populated enough for that guard to call out ei in the CP and expect immediate response, then you might in fact need at least 2 in/next to the CP. That's a huge drain on limited players to do scut work.

When destroyed, the CP is simultaneously hard to defend via ambush (kill ei before they can draw a bead on you), but easier to actually shoot out of (for defense at some kind of range). Except that sticking your head up at even medium range is often instadeath (ei can be inside a bush, by the time you pick them out, you're already dead).

The game in general suffers from some areas being totally blocked, while others are too porous. The bunker has windows for shooting out of, but since they are on 2-3 sides of that room (depending on bunker?), you cannot use them--meanwhile the other side is safe from all sides. The direction the windows face is often just exactly wrong, too. We have to stay in there to defend, but are given no ability to defend at range (appearing in 1 window makes you visible in others). I thin some way to have bigger facilities to defend would be better. Bigger, but with more interesting places to emplace a defense.

Related to being able to better defend places the game requires the defense of, I have always thought we need some way to emplace weapons like LMGs that makes them the fearful defensive weapons they were. Like a sandbag object that can cover a window or even a doorway, where the firing loop is such that taking it out from the front is extremely difficult. Perhaps such an object is taken out by a nade, but at least at medium ranges it's a real problem, not a single rifle shot from being fixed. 

43 minutes ago, tater said:

Since @SCKINGsaid that it's texture related, I'm unsure what that means for changing the capture mechanics. 

Textures are images that cover a certain area in the game world.  Every wall you see, every roof, every road, literally every surface that is visible in the game has a texture that allows us to see it.  

In the case of the CP building, the capture "area" is literally the floor texture of the CP building.  The only way to have a capture "radius" with the current capture code would be to literally have a circular texture on the ground in the game around every CP building (if I'm understanding SCKING correctly).  

3 people like this

10 minutes ago, Capco said:

Textures are images that cover a certain area in the game world.  Every wall you see, every roof, every road, literally every surface that is visible in the game has a texture that allows us to see it.  

In the case of the CP building, the capture "area" is literally the floor texture of the CP building.  The only way to have a capture "radius" with the current capture code would be to literally have a circular texture on the ground in the game around every CP building (if I'm understanding SCKING correctly).  

Yeah, that was what I assumed.

I suppose an object could be added with an invisible capture floor texture of whatever size required. The point of the building is to let the players know where they have to be, but depending on where you put a capture object, this could obviously change. Given terrain, however, that likely requires a huge amount of work (if the invisible floor must only be on flat terrain, etc).

Edited by tater

7 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, that was what I assumed.

I suppose an object could be added with an invisible capture floor texture of whatever size required. The point of the building is to let the players know where they have to be, but depending on where you put a capture object, this could obviously change. Given terrain, however, that likely requires a huge amount of work (if the invisible floor must only be on flat terrain, etc).

That's how I see it too.  Without changing the current capture code, it would take an extraordinary amount of work to add capture radii to every CP in the game, as each would have to be custom fitted to the area where it resides.  

That's extremely unfortunate though, because this is one of the game's Achilles' heels.  At the same time, it's a mistake they won't make for WWIIOL 2.0.  

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, SCKING said:

changing every cp and sp would be an impossible task by our small team.. I forget what the last count was, but it would take a very long time to redesign every town. 

Small changes are fine, little bit here, little bit there, still can be a positive thing.

If the new terrain editor is easier to work with, perhaps more players could volunteer. And heck, one needn't have complete knowledge to be useful at a task; you don't necessarily have to know how to form the ground tiles in order to place objects, after all, all players may currently place objects in the game world, and it is not difficult. Of course, don't know if that will be reflected in the new editor.