• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
xanthus

Shoutout to WWIIOL from Post Scriptum devs

31 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ZEBBEEE said:

We are currently compiling a quick guide that gives this insight. Something the wiki has failed to achieve for the past 15 years I guess.

WIki isn't accessible ingame, most players likely don't know it exists.

If it's not in neon lighting in the game, it doesn't exist for 80% of the players.

On 6/4/2019 at 0:15 PM, Kilemall said:

If it's not in neon lighting in the game, it doesn't exist for 80% of the players.

This is an awfully broad assumption.

That wiki page is in need of some serious updating, FWIW.

I went there to see a few things and was surprised to see it not maintained for the most part.

There is very little in the way of tutorials any more -used to be someone had a page somewhere and gave the info freely, but those links are all dead. That training tutorial? Who needs to know how to move around in a FPS in 2019? Anyone?

Maybe in 1999, but now? Nah.

Sprinting to the range and hearing a ring... then shooting *ring* then sprinting back to the spawn point *ring*. REALLY?

42 minutes ago, girlfriend said:

This is an awfully broad assumption.

That wiki page is in need of some serious updating, FWIW.

I went there to see a few things and was surprised to see it not maintained for the most part.

There is very little in the way of tutorials any more -used to be someone had a page somewhere and gave the info freely, but those links are all dead. That training tutorial? Who needs to know how to move around in a FPS in 2019? Anyone?

Maybe in 1999, but now? Nah.

Sprinting to the range and hearing a ring... then shooting *ring* then sprinting back to the spawn point *ring*. REALLY?

Heh, that's not a 1999 tutorial, it was mandated as part of a contract for a Chinese version of this game, along with a few other mods (denationalized country markings, a mandated X hour anti-addiction break etc.).

We still see some Chinese players that likely played that version and sneak into here.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:15 AM, Kilemall said:

I feel dumb.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:41 AM, Kilemall said:

I think all this AO and active battles and a half dozen different mechanisms are geared exactly to this need.

What is missing is a manual or vidoes or something that explains the game so they get the depth and/or ya bigazz world here is how to find stuff.

I would gather from reading between the lines that the original design document assumed 'fellow player indoctrination', which works fine with the original year or two maps, not with missions willy nilly lying around all over the damn place with no explanation of what the player will experience jumping in.

A thorough going over by documents/vids is needed, incorporated into the sales pitch so they know what to expect.  I don't think that's happening, so second best- follow through on the acculturation/indoctrination process by getting the DAMN VOICE SYSTEM IN.

The major factor I would look to address is 'survivability', or - Give players more of a feeling that they're engaged in a battle before they die.

Environmental clutter, cover, concealment, debris, even increased weapon sway and inaccuracy, terrain-hugging abilities to allow players to spawn in to a close quarters infantry fight and not die so quickly. The cover available in an infantry fight is minimal at the moment, so our players are denied the ability to hide, protected, where they can absorb the intensity of the battle going on.

I recognise it's technically challenging, but it's a key battle to win if gameplay's to be improved. 

Developing the spawn mechanics and the UI are useful paths to push, but secondary to how the game actually plays.

I'm a keen proponent of the devs developing a vision for how individual game sessions look and doing everything possible to then achieve that. For me, that initial trailer for PS blew my mind, just from the intensity of the infantry play, greatly aided by the suspense and adrenalin rush that was the pre-cursor to the actual PvP. Being safe but knowing there's a battle going on is a major reward of a combat game.

2 people like this

Post Scriptum is truely a great game. But it suffers from a small player base too. It's map is still WW2OL light and it still has a simplistic approach to capture point objective system. However, their ticket system makes it a little bit more about attrition, which I like. Unfortunately though, those are not 4wing or JG51 flying overhead. Those are AI called in by a commander. It just doesn't seem to feel the same. Lacks the scale and magic. In the end, you are just fighting small arcade matches. But damn are those waffen SS uniforms sexy. 

Props on posting the panzer general campaign Kilemall. Now go play panzer corps grand campaign and come back to me months later if you make it through half of it. I'm looking forward to Panzer Corps 2, but I don't think it will capture the magic of Panzer General 2. 

Edited by snipey