choad

Hey Potthead WTF?

22 posts in this topic

Another chapter in death to lag - or something I can not quite describe. Seriously @potthead - what did you see from your end? To my side - it seemed like you lag switched your way up the stairs and shot me. Interested to hear your side of the story how you got up there when another allied player was just sitting there like a stooge not seeing anything either. *****Magic*********  I guess. 

That right there is my last sortie of the evening - I have a hard time coming back from 2 of those BS type deaths in 45 minutes......

Getting killed like that  - if I didn't recognize the name - i would have reported him. Ok .... so let's say it is on the up-and-up (like I suppose it is) - what is the point of reporting stuff like that anyways? I mean - if to you it feels like the most blatant cheat ever and then there is some client/server explanation (apparently) - what's the point? No base line for anything.  When I am not dog tired I will update the thread with another magical death that happened just 30 minutes before this one.

S! logging.

Happens all the time to me in busy AOs, you go into a room in a CP and the guy does not render until he shoots you. Sometimes you dont even see him in death cam if he kills you with an instant head shot.

To my mind it is things like this that cause new people not to stay with the game, and cause others just to log off. Lag deaths are annoying as hell, but the "invisible until he shoots" are probably even worse.

First time I have seen it in evidenced in a video, so kudos for capturing it.

Obviously I was not there, but I suspect the Potthead account that killed you was semi-AFK while you were downstairs capping, then you went up, he "woke up", and what sounded like his second shot killed you. He then appears to stand up from being at your feet. To him, he was probably lying on the floor upstairs the whole time, but was running as one of his other accounts, switched back when the CP was lost and found you standing on or next to him and he fired. Then your game rendered him, but only after he fired or as he stood up.

Who was the other allied player? What did he see? This is a great opportunity to get this "problem" properly outlined and to give CRS a chance to hopefully fix something that the RATS may not have actually seen/experienced for themselves since they have so many other demands on their limited time.

Sorry you died like that, but well done for capturing it on video.

S! Ian 

Ewwww ... i never thought of that! I wonder if a afk player isn't visible by some stupid ww2ol glitch? Could it be? Then they come back afk and are visible? 

2 minutes ago, choad said:

Ewwww ... i never thought of that! I wonder if a afk player isn't visible by some stupid ww2ol glitch? Could it be? Then they come back afk and are visible? 

happens a lot with afk 2nd accounts, especially if run on the same machine. exaggerated and even worse if in city, big city and/or heavy pop AO/DO. but,  used to be way worse before the netcode thing they fixed or switched. 

no clue what, if anything could fix it. 

Don't forget that Pott is almost as far away from the server as one can be.  Anomalies are going to be inherent.  

the 3 rifle shots before you died was him behind you the entire time, he just followed you. if you kept your screen on the stairs you would've seen him

50 minutes ago, choad said:

Dont think so, I die running into cap a CP, dont see the ei guarding in the corner, he shoots and then as I die he renders lying on the floor right in front of me - maybe it is a lying down thing?

If Pott followed Choad up the stairs, why did the other allied player in the video not react to him? I think he was just lying on the floor the whole time and the game did not render him. We need Pott to tell us his side :) 

S! Ian 

it was likely a bug. I have a video of something almost identical happening to me too awhile ago.

EDIT: found the video … skip to the last 30 seconds. or watch the whole thing doesn't matter.

Edited by dfire

S! 

Not sure what to say @choad.. It looked a bit funny from my perspective, was not in particular laggy or skipping or anything, I walked in from the flag door around 1:00-1:05 and then at 1:09 sec in your video (can hear my footsteps and rifle shot, I was inside the CP on your left flank at bottom of stairs, missed the shot like a BIG NOOB 2 times). I thought u didn't hear my shots which was weird...

Then as u walked up, i came behind u, flustered as [censored] myself, since i missed 2 shots and u didn't turn to kill me. Then i saw other guy so i lied down on right hand side as soon as i got up the stairs. then i shot u in the bum, the got up and shot the other guy as he shot and missed and i shot and missed first time and then killed him on 2nd shot i think which was my last of 5 rounds. 

I have been away in Japan for the last few weeks and away from the game, so not sure if the new patches have had any impact, FPS/ etc has been the same feel. I did however pick up a few tricks from the REAL ninjas in Japan on how to sneak up behind a distracted Choad ;)

S!  hope that makes sense..  

27 minutes ago, ian77 said:

Dont think so, I die running into cap a CP, dont see the ei guarding in the corner, he shoots and then as I die he renders lying on the floor right in front of me - maybe it is a lying down thing?

If Pott followed Choad up the stairs, why did the other allied player in the video not react to him? I think he was just lying on the floor the whole time and the game did not render him. We need Pott to tell us his side :) 

S! Ian 

If fast forward to about 1:00 in the video and then go Max volume with eyes closed on headphones... can see me with ears..

I am just at no point in the field of vision by some miracle, and UNBELIEVABLY HORRIBLE at aiming... so unblievble that can be mistaken by cheating! It was as if @choad was wearing a magnetic vest that I could not aim at ;) hehe any explanation is more relivable that I missed the first TWO shots!! in my defense, there was no pot in Japan, so the stuff has more effect for a few days hehe!

like slightest tilt to the left where Audio of shot and footstep comes from would have showed me! The 2nd guy has to say his P.O.V of story, not sure if he was looking the other way out the window... but with his rifle he was not ready to shoot and dont think expected me to be right behind Choad either.. 

As I said.. I have been in Japan for a few weeks, so the ninja in the air has probably made me super extra stealthy ;) .   I should have NOT missed that point blank first shot from 1-2 meters and none of this would have been.. and that Axis player who died from the shots to the door would have lived too :)

1 hour ago, dfire said:

I have a video of something almost identical happening to me too awhile ago.

exact same thing... eyes off the stairs and a EI got in

you were there for almost 2min camping the spawn from 10m away, it's not surprising someone found you and charged in.

1 hour ago, ian77 said:

If Pott followed Choad up the stairs, why did the other allied player in the video not react to him?

it happens often... play axis for a bit and you'll see the disparity in attacking skill.

it really is striking how the axis adapt while allies cling to bad tactics.

3 hours ago, potthead said:

S! 

Not sure what to say @choad.. It looked a bit funny from my perspective, was not in particular laggy or skipping or anything, I walked in from the flag door around 1:00-1:05 and then at 1:09 sec in your video (can hear my footsteps and rifle shot, I was inside the CP on your left flank at bottom of stairs, missed the shot like a BIG NOOB 2 times). I thought u didn't hear my shots which was weird...

Then as u walked up, i came behind u, flustered as [censored] myself, since i missed 2 shots and u didn't turn to kill me. Then i saw other guy so i lied down on right hand side as soon as i got up the stairs. then i shot u in the bum, the got up and shot the other guy as he shot and missed and i shot and missed first time and then killed him on 2nd shot i think which was my last of 5 rounds. 

I have been away in Japan for the last few weeks and away from the game, so not sure if the new patches have had any impact, FPS/ etc has been the same feel. I did however pick up a few tricks from the REAL ninjas in Japan on how to sneak up behind a distracted Choad ;)

S!  hope that makes sense..  

Hehe. No worries ... nothing ya need to say! One of those strange sequences that felt one way to me, but a little diff in reality i guess. Felt like audio from the gun shot and all u were up there already. Gotta say from watching it .... looked that way as well. But i keep an open mind, coulda been right on my heels. Like i said, saw it was u and knew it wasn't a report thing like i said.

I should've reported you as a terrible shot apparently ;)

If it was kgarner he woulda missed me 3x and then ran back out the door from where he came.

Edited by choad

3 hours ago, potthead said:

I "think" the other poor guy u shot from the door was potthead3 !! :D

Nah, it said i died to potthead3. Ugh. I can't keep track of all your guys!

How is the pot in Japan anyhow?

Edited by choad

It is very important to keep your eyes on those stairs! 

I think dfire's vid pretty clearly shows something wrong is happening.  You can see from the vid that he cleared the corners and the room was empty.  He didn't watch the stairs 100% of the time, but he watched it pretty darn well.  Certainly well enough that someone should not have been able to run in all the way to the far corner to get him.

This seems different to me than some of the other stuff that happens.  Annoying stuff, to be sure, but you can make accommodations.  For example, if you don't like getting killed because your foot is sticking out of the wall, by all means, don't lie down somewhere your foot will stick out!  But you can't make accommodations for this. 

I wonder if perhaps what we think we are seeing is actually an illusion created by the death screen animation.  In both the vids shown, we only sense the disparity because we see something on the death screen that doesn't match what we saw in the in-game.  I don't know how the death screen animation is generated.  Does it really show 'real time'?  Or, is it possible, like in the case of Dfire and Choad's second video, that the kill actually happened differently, and in the time between the death and the display, even if just half a second or so, the enemy has really moved that far away, or come around the corner, etc, and THAT is what we are seeing?

Take the death screen animation out of it and we may be left wondering what happened to us, but we're not going to be thinking "INVISIBLE EI!"

Also, I'm still laughing at 'shot him in the bum.'

10 hours ago, choad said:

Another chapter in death to lag - or something I can not quite describe. Seriously @potthead - what did you see from your end? To my side - it seemed like you lag switched your way up the stairs and shot me. Interested to hear your side of the story how you got up there when another allied player was just sitting there like a stooge not seeing anything either. *****Magic*********  I guess. 

That right there is my last sortie of the evening - I have a hard time coming back from 2 of those BS type deaths in 45 minutes......

Getting killed like that  - if I didn't recognize the name - i would have reported him. Ok .... so let's say it is on the up-and-up (like I suppose it is) - what is the point of reporting stuff like that anyways? I mean - if to you it feels like the most blatant cheat ever and then there is some client/server explanation (apparently) - what's the point? No base line for anything.  When I am not dog tired I will update the thread with another magical death that happened just 30 minutes before this one.

S! logging.

Having watched the video I have to concur that there's no weirdness going on, aside from Potthead being as terrible a shot as I am.

Lol ... bad shot indeed. I guess i am willing to accept that.

7 hours ago, major0noob said:

exact same thing... eyes off the stairs and a EI got in

you were there for almost 2min camping the spawn from 10m away, it's not surprising someone found you and charged in.

for the time I peeked the stairs til the time he ran up, got to the other side of the room, went prone, aimed, and shot doesn't seem to add up for me. each their own though

on the reoverve perspective, thesre is somethign wonky goint on. ther ar days b4 mreds kick in i shake bad and cannot enen hit trigger now and then,  been several times i have run into a cp with an active defdenr upstairs hlingn in one spot ( as i see in these  vidios)  ran in  tryu to hit  trigger miss buton keepr runnin g then shoot killing an ei that never moved as if afk ( though that person was acivtily deffening) had same hapne ot me back many time with ei poogin in font behind me to kil mne thoug i was waitn gfor him/her/.     Best advise keep moving a little bit even. as when no tmovein g ap moing  oppoent seems to have preferictinal ping.

58 minutes ago, dfire said:

for the time I peeked the stairs til the time he ran up, got to the other side of the room, went prone, aimed, and shot doesn't seem to add up for me. each their own though

you were aiming in the crack in the wall for 15 sec, only covering the stairs for a fraction of a second. directly next to the spawn, with the EI aware you were there. lots of time and openings for someone to get through.

pott came in and confirmed the first video... both cases were just lucky openings, they happen