Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trilobite

Artillery?

10 posts in this topic

Technically speaking we could introduce it, in various ways.

As far as ROI, gameplay and user/receiver experience goes, that’s a whole different kettle of fish.

And in terms of dev/prod time and resources, I’d say it’s a pretty slim chance unless mgmt says otherwise.

It's been suggested for years.

It would be really cool, but HE should all go full friendly fire first. Seems like any battles near the coast get a taste with constant DD shelling.

Ability to call in (was gonna say divisional, but I guess Brigade) artillery strikes could be related to relative population. Underpop side gets arty (again, FF on so it can't be over used, spotter has to dial it in, etc).

As mentioned DD shelling gives an idea of what it might be like - to me, that is not fun. We also have fixed spawn points so little or no need for recon or FO. And if it is abstract off map support who gets to whistle it up? With FF on way to easy to abuse - spawn a second account and call in the barrage on a friendly depot or CP/AB. 

Artillery is obviously realistic and historical (so are STDs)  but  it doesn't mean that it makes for better game play

S! Ian

Like it a lot in Warthunder. Would obviously have to be limited, but with nice effects can be a real addition to atmosphere and immersion.

10 hours ago, ian77 said:

As mentioned DD shelling gives an idea of what it might be like - to me, that is not fun. We also have fixed spawn points so little or no need for recon or FO. And if it is abstract off map support who gets to whistle it up? With FF on way to easy to abuse - spawn a second account and call in the barrage on a friendly depot or CP/AB. 

Artillery is obviously realistic and historical (so are STDs)  but  it doesn't mean that it makes for better game play

HC could be required to call in arty.

As for the spawn points... that's much less of a thing now, and it would only kill the depot snipers anyway, that's kinda win-win.

one  arti flag you can move around. Will keep it from non stop boom boom everwere ;)

I had given this a bit of thought once. I imagined a PPO command structure... it would look like a field radio with a spotter, and would be camouflaged. It would be built like an FMS, but by a jeep. There could only be one per Brigade spawned at any time, and would be 'manned' by an HC Officer. The HC Officer could call in one "artillery strike" once every half hour, on a target. If destroyed, it would  have a one hour cooldown timer before it could be rebuilt.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0