• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
    • CHIMM

18th Anniversary Event Awards!   06/23/2019

This year we are giving out trophies and awards for the top players during the "Kill a RAT" event! We need the following players to contact @CHIMM at chimm@corneredrats.com with your physical address to mail these out.   @mook2  @dasei88  @c00per  @kardehk  @chau90  @kdped02  @Simcha  @pulfer  @bus0    
tater

Hey Rats, what changes are _possible_?

14 posts in this topic

It would be nice to hear from volunteers/devs about what is theoretically possible to change/improve in terms of gameplay(sorry if that was posted ages ago and I don't know where to find it).

I see people (newb/vet alike) posting good ideas for improvements, but many are likely completely impossible for the limited time devs have. From a gameplay standpoint, I think certain changes would improve the attractiveness of the game. Eye candy and FPS aspects have long since left this game in the dust, seems like the way to shine is via improved gameplay.

Ideally I'd want to know what is possible in the way of changes in:

Capture mechanics: 1. could be done, but hard to code, and 2. possible with (relatively) minimal effort.

Spawn list variables (ie: can MSPs have fixed lists, the disappear, can spawn lists in such a facility be removed from supply, etc).

Player placed facilities (could a PPO have a capture texture?).

Etc.

1 person likes this

I should have mentioned that I asked the question above so that people posting kooky suggestions (I'm a fan of kooky suggestions!) don't bother if they know that the suggestion is flat out not on the table in the first place.

I think a good clue as to what is feasible given the resources can be found in the roadmap, and in the in-game polls.

I will say this:  If the current version of CRS had anything resembling the resources the original crew did, this game would improve by leaps and bounds in a quick fashion.  I'm not denigrating the original CRS crew by saying that.  The current CRS has the ability/willingness to learn from the 18 years of development to this game.  All that is currently lacking is the proper amount of resources to get all that CRS wants done, accomplished.

All in all, this is still the best game I've ever played, and the best gaming community I have ever dealt with.  The passion of community members is clearly visible, and most (not all) approach this game as it should be approached:  Warts and all, the best WW2 game ever, still looking to get better.

CRS has never been more responsive to the community, and has never shown the willingness the current bunch has shown to make changes (resources allowing), to improve the in-game experience of all players.

I'll leave specific answers to those far more qualified than I to answer them.

S!

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, augetout said:

I think a good clue as to what is feasible given the resources can be found in the roadmap, and in the in-game polls.

I've read the roadmap (a couple, actually), and I can see some of what is possible. Some things like new terrain (city), and speedtree are certainly interesting, but I was thinking along the lines of game design (meaning gameplay).

Terrain can help. If all kinds of city blocks are being changed, does giving them a capture texture on the floor make any sense? Particularly areas fully in the open? (that would be a big change in those limited areas, anyway).

Can speedtree be used to make more forest areas impassable? Not entirely, perhaps laced with dirt roads that vehicles can drive on, but they can't really leave the roads?

The new pop based AOs are interesting, I wonder if that can change CP mechanics...

I have loads of questions, but I worry most are simply impossible. Generally speaking I think people proposing changes in gameplay love the game, they just want it to be better (because being better might make it more popular).

1 person likes this

Anything is possible with enough time, effort, and resources.  

1 hour ago, B2K said:

I figured that, lol. I meant given current resources. I was looking at the roadmap, and was trying to think about gameplay changes that would not be incredibly difficult. Obviously changing timers, etc, has to be really easy, but I was thinking about things like player-placed capture objects (as an example).

It's actually hard to tell how difficult something will be until you delve really deep into the code.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, B2K said:

W00T! Parachuting dogs comes before Christmas. Next after that is Motorcycles by following Easter. B2K said so… Awesome!

Next big question is, when will we have Snipers?

4 hours ago, Nick said:

It's actually hard to tell how difficult something will be until you delve really deep into the code.

Yeah, that's true, I guess. I keep spitballing the same I deas I have for decades, but I honestly don't have the first clue if they are just small changes to what exists, or massively complex rewrites. I was just hoping for a way to reign my suggestions in a little so they'd be closer to realistic.

Keep the ideas coming, we do read them.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Nick said:

Keep the ideas coming, we do read them.

Will do, it's hard to get me to shut up, lol.

1 person likes this

Basically just look back of what has been done in the last 4 year and try to see if you can map or see similar points..

Almost everything related to new units can be done by CRS.

The same with supply, new brigades, PPOs..

43 minutes ago, pbveteran said:

Almost everything related to new units can be done by CRS.

The same with supply, new brigades, PPOs..

Yeah, and I don't particularly care about new units. I'm interested in new gameplay.

The new brigades present a possibility, as do PPOs.

For new unit types, I might be inclined to let units stack, then break everything down into even smaller groups of troops.  Before MSPs were a thing outside of training, I said to anti-MSP people (many considered them teleporting armies---which they are if MSP are allowed to ever deploy offsides, so they were partially right) that in fact ALL spawning should be from MSPs, but that the spawn list in the MSP should belong to that MSP, and if the spawn is destroyed, the remaining units inside are lost (pulling the MSP would result in the units being unavailable for some period of time while that unit pulls back and is reorganized).

Ideally towns vs units need not be connected as much. A town could be a unit HQ, but the spawns might be elsewhere, nearby.

Allow players (HC?) to place AI, and dump some or all of the town AI (similar units to the AI we have now, but as a persistent PPO that lasts until destroyed, or the unit it belongs to moves). I can think of all kinds of things that might be useful to improve gameplay.

I wonder if it would be possible (without a metric ton of work) to make a capturable PPO?