snipey

WW2OL has one thing that other games do not: a big map. Play to your strength.

81 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, catfive said:

That copse of trees, that bridge, that crossroads, that lone farm in the middle of nowhere, that hill etc, etc yes please. I've wanted this for years but it sounds like a lot of work placing all these capture points.. Imo it could even be done so that you cant attack or use city spawn points until certain of the out of town CPs were owned. 

Out of town caps would give you the ability to deploy FMS in a radius around them so now driving past all the out of town def as you can't place when you get there unless you own them! This has been a wet dream forever

Rats, could this be tested in a local area (a couple of towns) to see how this would work on the live server? We need frontlines and more CPs out of towns - I think there is a ton of potential here 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, tater said:

It is interesting to think how we would behave in game with much more limited information. What if the ML had the magic map, and no one else did? Mission members could look at it if they were within a couple meters, say. No icons past that same range.

We'd sort of have to stick together, right? That would be a cool scenario to play...

Huh. Sounds like tactical unit cohesion.

Nah, couldn't be. No one would play a game that worked that way. :D

1 person likes this

What is disrupting this game is that CRS has decided to be true to the story (the game is long without balance).
It was a decision. OK. but I think it was wrong.
It might even be so, but the game should start in 1942

2 hours ago, enemytank said:

What is disrupting this game is that CRS has decided to be true to the story (the game is long without balance).
It was a decision. OK. but I think it was wrong.
It might even be so, but the game should start in 1942

I agree with your take on being "true to the story"; it would've worked with a reenactment, maybe even a single-player video game, but NOT a subscription-based MMOG (or any online game). I think the "long" part is fine, but the lack of player number balance is simply a non-starter. The idea that in 2019 you're going to pay to play an online game where team numbers are dramatically unbalanced is laughable.

I disagree with starting in 1942; like many others, Tier 0 is and always has been my favorite for no other reason than it's the most fun.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, delems said:

***  The removal of name tags

Heh, I turned game tags off by the 3rd day I was playing... way to cluttered.

Now only use them for AA, flying or maybe DD/FMB.

Yep. 99% of the time, I have name/unit tags off. I don't mind keeping them toggle-able, but they definitely need to be smaller, and have an opacity option. BETTER YET, make it so that you can only pulse nametag display on keypress. What I mean is that when you press the "name tag display" key, it shows tags for some chosen time interval before fading out.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, tater said:

Yeah, the CPs have always been wrong. Capture points should always have been spread out over the map. Towns were indeed logisitical hubs (crossroads, rail, etc), and that should have been part of the game from day 1 as well, then make captures all over. Every crossroad, every place that is commanding., every bridge (and no supply crosses bridges unless intact/owned.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, catfive said:

That copse of trees, that bridge, that crossroads, that lone farm in the middle of nowhere, that hill etc, etc yes please. I've wanted this for years but it sounds like a lot of work placing all these capture points.. Imo it could even be done so that you cant attack or use city spawn points until certain of the out of town CPs were owned. 

Out of town caps would give you the ability to deploy FMS in a radius around them so now driving past all the out of town def as you can't place when you get there unless you own them! This has been a wet dream forever

YES!!!

Tater and catfive hit the nail on the head here. I've wanted this since day one. CRS 1.0 at least eventually acknowledged that this would be better for gameplay, and you can see DOC's attempt at exploring this with distant CPs in some towns....too bad they're the exceptions and not the rule.

Edited by xanthus

Towns with isolated CPs simulate this idea quite well actually - they always make for interesting engagements that bring the fight both out of and into the town 

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, raptor34 said:

Towns with isolated CPs simulate this idea quite well actually - they always make for interesting engagements that bring the fight both out of and into the town 

I just made a thread about Rural CPs in the suggestions area.

The idea would be to add some CPs well out of town. For the French frontier, some would explicitly be fixed defensive places.  As such, not linked to other towns, ever, to use them you must own the town (nominally in the rear for German forces once they take the town). These can be strongpoints avoided by the Germans, or not.

For other areas of the map, you'd sort of want them linked. If there was a TownA-TownB CP in town right now, then a farmhouse was added 2 km closer to TownB than that CP, I'd be inclined to give the in-town CP a name (say, "TownA shopping district"), and give the rural one the link (so that when the attackers grab it from TownB, it's now firmly theirs).

2 people like this