Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Augetout

Message from Allied CinC

1 post in this topic

S!

For those of you who do not already know, I joined the WW2Online community in January of 2001, some 6 months before the game went live.  As the beta teams were already settled upon, I spent my time getting to know the rest of the community, and working to create/build Lafayette Federation as a French unit.

When the original AHC was set up in the weeks leading up to the game’s ‘go live’ moment, I was asked to be French Army Commander, which I accepted.  A little known fact:  I was asked to fill that slot because it was deemed necessary in order to keep my unit as being willing to support AHC’s efforts.  It was an inaccurate conclusion to reach, as Lafayette Federation was going to support the player-led HC system regardless of whether or not we had any members as Officers, and I didn’t find out about it until months after the game had gone live.  That is the way things were done back then:  The HCs were filled with unit COs and unit Officers mixed in with members of the beta teams.  People could ask to join, but at that time their requests would usually fall on deaf ears.  In short, AHC (and presumably GHC) was a bit of an ‘old boys club’.  It made sense to do it that way at that time, and in any event, as French Army Commander there wasn’t much I could do about it in any event.

I served over 2 years as French Army Commander, and then moved to a slot in DDOP until I left/retired from AHC after having served 3+ years.  We won some and lost some.  We lobbied CRS for some in-game ‘power’ and/or tools to help facilitate coordination, with the original version of TOEs being the result.  We ran huge operations (in Operation Sisyphus the French element alone had over 500 players at any given moment, just counting voice coms), and we spent much of our time in-game ‘herding cats’, as the only way to get anything done was to have folks in-game support whatever it was one wanted done.  I couldn’t set an AO and say “here you go, attack that town” as there were no AOs.  Thus, if I or any of the other Officers wanted a town attacked, we had to find a way to get players to also want to attack that town.

I re-joined the game about 2 years ago (a little less than), and found that the HCs had a TON of in-game power, but all too often nobody was bothering to use it.  1.36 is in part the result of the game relying TOO much on the HCs in order for the game to function, and to my mind this hybrid system has been a huge positive on a few levels, not the least of which is it has returned us to a time when HC Officers have to be good leaders in order to have success in-game, (as opposed to simply being ‘in charge’).  To that end, and building on what Bondpaul accomplished as CinC, here are my goals as your incoming Allied CinC:

1.       I am hoping to get more participation and communication from (and with) Allied squads.  YOU are the backbone of whatever we will accomplish.  To that end, I will be tasking an Officer with setting up a meeting, where squad COs and/or squad representatives and I will meet to discuss your wants and needs as Allied units, so AHC can work towards maximizing HC/squad cooperation in the coming days.

2.       AHC needs more Officers.  I will be working with an HC Recruiting Officer to continue the rebuilding of the Officer Corp.  Additionally, AHC Officers are here to serve the Allied players, and as such they will either be leading by example in a positive way, or they will be replaced.  If any Officer mistreats Allied players, contact me directly and we’ll figure out what to do about it.  Officers mistreating Allied players will not be tolerated during my time as CinC, period.

3.       Allied wins will happen more often!  Forget what has happened in the past.  It no longer matters, and it no longer bears any resemblance to the Allies of today.  1.36 began a new era for the Allies.  I don’t care about the overall win/loss percentage and Allied players and Officers should not either.  Care about what happens from this day forward.  Figure out what you can do to help the Allied cause, and do it.  We are all here to have fun, but be honest:  It’s more fun when we’re winning, so let’s work together to make each day better than the last.  Help the Allies teach the other side (by actions, not words) that the days of ‘clubbing baby seals’ are OVER.

I will need your help, Allies.  AHC cannot beat the axis on our own, or by ourselves.  We need Allied players to forget about the past, and get on board the new Allied train.  Make sure you’re with me on the observation deck when the german side figures out that the light coming toward them isn’t the end of the tunnel but the Allied train, and it’s about to run them down!

S!

4 people like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0