• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Boudreau

Just a reminder

110 posts in this topic

Hi. I guess this is aimed towards xoom rather than a commentary on what has already been said. I've just resubbed with an all ground forces type of account.  The drop in price from the premium account is fine for me and now I can afford at the moment to budget it in my monthly outgoings and feel completely fine about it. So I think that being introduced was a good idea and works for me.  I have found it hard to find  fights to get involved in though due to the number of players on. My opinions on the game have changed and what I think needs to change. I used to think even back in 2007 or so when I first played that just the graphics needed changing and that would sort everything out. I havent any interest in the moving of brigades and that level of the game, it's not aimed at me, so 1.36 didnt make a huge difference to me as a player, that's not a criticism it just didnt noticably impact my game.

Right now as I have always thought there's enough units to play in the game, I think that's all fantastic. I'm not bothered about the graphics anymore. I think the game is good enough to play as it is an the dated look of can be forgiven once you realise the scale of what's going on.  But for me comms is the main problem in my opinion. I think you could get more people to play and stay if you had in game voice comms rather than rely on having to persuade people to play using discord. If it's built in you can help new people immedeately rather than have to think it's probably going to take me a couple of hours of typing to help someone get into a game and that's if they even notice you typing a message to them to start with, even if they are really shy if they hear people speaking in game they could get help easier just listening. I know this can all be done using discord but for me Discord is like entering a club room that's seperate to the game and shy folk like me dont want to feel like I need to enter a clique to get the most out of the game. I guess this is nothing the developers dont know already but I think to me its the most important thing to get sorted and will really glue the game together.

Easy comms that don't feel exclusive or awkward to enter or just listen in on would sort a huge amount of problems for me and I'd play more I think. So that's my two pence/cents. That's all that's really important to me. I think the game can more than carry its own weight, it's great I think you should have more confidence in what you already have rather than all introduce new variants, new players will be really happy coming into the game with the tons of stuff you can do, but it's more than a challenge to learn the game as comms stand, it's a chore that the payoff is worth the work once youve done it, but it's still a feels a chore and an unecessary one. I hope what ive said is a help to you.

Hi. I guess this is aimed towards xoom rather than a commentary on what has already been said. I've just resubbed with an all ground forces type of account.  The drop in price from the premium account is fine for me and now I can afford at the moment to budget it in my monthly outgoings and feel completely fine about it. So I think that being introduced was a good idea and works for me.  I have found it hard to find  fights to get involved in though due to the number of players on. My opinions on the game have changed and what I think needs to change. I used to think even back in 2007 or so when I first played that just the graphics needed changing and that would sort everything out. I havent any interest in the moving of brigades and that level of the game, it's not aimed at me, so 1.36 didnt make a huge difference to me as a player, that's not a criticism it just didnt noticably impact my game.

Right now as I have always thought there's enough units to play in the game, I think that's all fantastic. I'm not bothered about the graphics anymore. I think the game is good enough to play as it is an the dated look of can be forgiven once you realise the scale of what's going on.  But for me comms is the main problem in my opinion. I think you could get more people to play and stay if you had in game voice comms rather than rely on having to persuade people to play using discord. If it's built in you can help new people immedeately rather than have to think it's probably going to take me a couple of hours of typing to help someone get into a game and that's if they even notice you typing a message to them to start with, even if they are really shy if they hear people speaking in game they could get help easier just listening. I know this can all be done using discord but for me Discord is like entering a club room that's seperate to the game and shy folk like me dont want to feel like I need to enter a clique to get the most out of the game. I guess this is nothing the developers dont know already but I think to me its the most important thing to get sorted and will really glue the game together.

Easy comms that don't feel exclusive or awkward to enter or just listen in on would sort a huge amount of problems for me and I'd play more I think. So that's my two pence/cents. That's all that's really important to me. I think the game can more than carry its own weight, it's great I think you should have more confidence in what you already have rather than all introduce new variants, new players will be really happy coming into the game with the tons of stuff you can do, but it's more than a challenge to learn the game as comms stand, it's a chore that the payoff is worth the work once youve done it, but it's still a feels a chore and an unecessary one. I hope what ive said is a help to you.

Edited by bluelad
text has entered twice

was thinking about getting the hero account , that has a extra guy for towing and such.  Can extra guy be my 2nd account who already has rank ? Also was a builder or hero before , don't remember , So if I was a builder before can I become a hero?  thks

19 hours ago, XOOM said:

Premium guys stay premium because we need to build our subscriber base (foundation) before we can risk losing premium guys. That is the business decision as to why we don't allow downgrading.

Notonestepback06-01-19.jpg

1 person likes this

If someone really wanted to pay a one time fee to buy Steam DLC...well d@mn...glad I checked. All the Steam DLC looks like it was removed. I hope what I purchased is still going to be honored. Going in to check now. 

Okay looks like my Steam DLC purchases (all but the para DLC) are still in effect. While I wanted to wait to purchase the DLC on my WWII Online account and not my Steam account I suspected it was going was never going to make it to the WWII Online account so went ahead and purchased it. Wanting to support the game I have signed up via Steam for the Starter account for the $4.99/mo. There is a bit of overlap but I wanted to support CRS but $15/mo is a much imo and the Starter account is good value. I hope that isn't going to be tinkered with. 

All that said, I have a sinking suspicion the ship is starting to list with this announcement/decision. I hope I am wrong. 

6 minutes ago, odin67 said:

Okay looks like my Steam DLC purchases (all but the para DLC) are still in effect. While I wanted to wait to purchase the DLC on my WWII Online account and not my Steam account I suspected it was going was never going to make it to the WWII Online account so went ahead and purchased it. Wanting to support the game I have signed up via Steam for the Starter account for the $4.99/mo. There is a bit of overlap but I wanted to support CRS but $15/mo is a much imo and the Starter account is good value. I hope that isn't going to be tinkered with. 

All that said, I have a sinking suspicion the ship is starting to list with this announcement/decision. I hope I am wrong. 

Starter recently received a little bit of a boost to make it more viable. It's going to remain as-is.

We're doing okay in terms of the ship, but it's a necessary set of decisions to avoid it listing.

Please read my announcement here: https://www.wwiionline.com/support-bulletins/accounts-billing/all-in-on-free-trial-subscriptions 

42 minutes ago, tater said:

Notonestepback06-01-19.jpg

Ok then the Hero is premium, and I see they no longer have the Builder account  for sale , so I will sign up for hero account .  Still wondering by having hero account you get a free account for towing etc. , and I was wanting my second account to be that free account with hero sub.

2 hours ago, tatonka said:

Ok then the Hero is premium, and I see they no longer have the Builder account  for sale , so I will sign up for hero account .  Still wondering by having hero account you get a free account for towing etc. , and I was wanting my second account to be that free account with hero sub.

Builders are still available. If you need a hand, submit a ticket here: https://playnet.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Ok I signed up for builder ( yearly )  how do I get my 2nd towing account going ?  thks

5 people like this

3 hours ago, tatonka said:

Ok I signed up for builder ( yearly )  how do I get my 2nd towing account going ?  thks

S! 

2 people like this

I am going to make one point. While I understand everything that XOOM and CRS are doing in moving back to an all sub service, I worry about the fact that the Free Trial period is slated to be an all infantry ONLY trial.

When i first tried out the game, it was with a free trial. Honestly, I was not really very interested in Infantry play. I wanted to play Navy, since almost no other WWII games have it, and to fly. My first day, after the basic infantry/armor training, was spent learning how to fly. I crashed countless planes in the flight training sim, but it was fun, and an achievement when I was able to take off and land again.

The next day I moved to the Campaign server.  I was still trying to get into the air in game, and crashed a few fighters until someone came along and offered to help. It wasn't easy because the training didn't really cover comms well; so I couldn't communicate very well. Anyway, over the nest couple of weeks, The 23rd, the squad that took me in, helped teach me about flying, about sailing, about armor, and about infantry. It was fun and wild. I subbed before 30 days was up.

But I would likely never have done so if the Free Trial was limited to ground Infantry only. In my opinion, a Free trial should let players try everything out to see what they are good at. I remember meeting another new player at the time who was subbing solely because he had had an amazing experience with a Flying Squad.

This game is fantastic, but every player likes to play differently. Yes, I understand completely that there is a need to go back to subs only. But I know that I would likely not have subbed if I hadn't been able to try out everything; and experienced the full range of what the game could do. If I had only played infantry, it would have been a much different Free Trial experience, and I don't know that I would have been so eager to subscribe if I had not been allowed to try Navy and Air out. Not everyone subs to play ground pounders.

Just my two cents worth.

4 people like this

7 hours ago, Quincannon said:

I am going to make one point. While I understand everything that XOOM and CRS are doing in moving back to an all sub service, I worry about the fact that the Free Trial period is slated to be an all infantry ONLY trial.

When i first tried out the game, it was with a free trial. Honestly, I was not really very interested in Infantry play. I wanted to play Navy, since almost no other WWII games have it, and to fly. My first day, after the basic infantry/armor training, was spent learning how to fly. I crashed countless planes in the flight training sim, but it was fun, and an achievement when I was able to take off and land again.

The next day I moved to the Campaign server.  I was still trying to get into the air in game, and crashed a few fighters until someone came along and offered to help. It wasn't easy because the training didn't really cover comms well; so I couldn't communicate very well. Anyway, over the nest couple of weeks, The 23rd, the squad that took me in, helped teach me about flying, about sailing, about armor, and about infantry. It was fun and wild. I subbed before 30 days was up.

But I would likely never have done so if the Free Trial was limited to ground Infantry only. In my opinion, a Free trial should let players try everything out to see what they are good at. I remember meeting another new player at the time who was subbing solely because he had had an amazing experience with a Flying Squad.

This game is fantastic, but every player likes to play differently. Yes, I understand completely that there is a need to go back to subs only. But I know that I would likely not have subbed if I hadn't been able to try out everything; and experienced the full range of what the game could do. If I had only played infantry, it would have been a much different Free Trial experience, and I don't know that I would have been so eager to subscribe if I had not been allowed to try Navy and Air out. Not everyone subs to play ground pounders.

Just my two cents worth.

A fair consideration for the exception (you). I thought about this for a bit of time, and I realized that the landscape of our old free trial is no longer the same as it was, primarily because we have a series of upgrade options available. We'll be doing promotions and stuff in a temporary format, routinely, to help bolster activity and events, but still maintain the value of this extra access. I hope that much provides a better understanding of why we decided to do this.

New users joining the game will not know any different from what was before (unless they're veterans, or told by veterans). But I think we can all agree on one primary thing: Most new users do play infantry predominately and if they do not have a joystick... good luck with the vehicle game because it's pretty rough on the PvP side of things (Tanks, Guns, Destroyers, Fighters / Bombers, etc). Can it by done by mouse? Yes.. but is that the experience we want new people to have upfront? Probably not because we cannot effectively support those users in those moments, it's like throwing them into the fire without a hand.

On that note, I'd like to call for and suggest the entire WWIIOL player base focuses on new users coming in and give them a hand. Everyone knows enough of the infantry game to get by and we should be pushing them towards helping the cause (subscribing) so that they can benefit and get more. But create a welcoming environment that embraces noobies, squads should be excited to build them out - not yell at them and call them spies... that's something we really need to hone in on and remove because it's a nasty side of our truly outstanding gaming community.

2 minutes ago, XOOM said:

A fair consideration for the exception (you). I thought about this for a bit of time, and I realized that the landscape of our old free trial is no longer the same as it was, primarily because we have a series of upgrade options available. We'll be doing promotions and stuff in a temporary format, routinely, to help bolster activity and events, but still maintain the value of this extra access. I hope that much provides a better understanding of why we decided to do this.

New users joining the game will not know any different from what was before (unless they're veterans, or told by veterans). But I think we can all agree on one primary thing: Most new users do play infantry predominately and if they do not have a joystick... good luck with the vehicle game because it's pretty rough on the PvP side of things (Tanks, Guns, Destroyers, Fighters / Bombers, etc). Can it by done by mouse? Yes.. but is that the experience we want new people to have upfront? Probably not because we cannot effectively support those users in those moments, it's like throwing them into the fire without a hand.

On that note, I'd like to call for and suggest the entire WWIIOL player base focuses on new users coming in and give them a hand. Everyone knows enough of the infantry game to get by and we should be pushing them towards helping the cause (subscribing) so that they can benefit and get more. But create a welcoming environment that embraces noobies, squads should be excited to build them out - not yell at them and call them spies... that's something we really need to hone in on and remove because it's a nasty side of our truly outstanding gaming community.

I understand. I wasn't criticizing. I just wouldn't want to see the game lose potential customers because all they want to do is fly.
S!

I can  no longer afford the full monty do to outside game conderns.  I  refuse( yes i am being stuburn, but  for once have earned that rigth) to lose my 18+ year acount stats. and start over with a new acount.

IF ever i can afford again  full sub, or i can convert my  acount to one i can afford( i never fly anyway) then i am in hiatus till then :( IT has been fun, And i have been honored to meet many great people. 

1 person likes this

If it was not clear, my "not one step backwards" Soviet post was not meant to be complementary.

I can see not letting people drop to the starter level account, maybe, but other than that people should be able to tweak their accounts as they see fit.

As to the "maybe" I just wrote, honestly even that is a mistake. It's better to get $5 from someone than $0.

2 people like this

On 2019-07-27 at 3:56 PM, tatonka said:

S!

welcome aboard.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, tater said:

It's better to get $5 from someone than $0.

That has been posted multiple times already in this thread and I could not agree more.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, Quincannon said:

I understand. I wasn't criticizing. I just wouldn't want to see the game lose potential customers because all they want to do is fly.
S!

Nah didn't take it as criticizing, all good there :).

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, drkmouse said:

I can  no longer afford the full monty do to outside game conderns.  I  refuse( yes i am being stuburn, but  for once have earned that rigth) to lose my 18+ year acount stats. and start over with a new acount.

IF ever i can afford again  full sub, or i can convert my  acount to one i can afford( i never fly anyway) then i am in hiatus till then :( IT has been fun, And i have been honored to meet many great people. 

I would also personally not be interested in restarting an account, that's a very natural position to take and I understand it fully. You've invested all of this time, energy, memories, relationships into this persona "Drkmouse."

My primary duty is to make decisions that ensure not only the continuation of WWII Online and CRS, but increase the best odds possible for us to do better, grow, provide services, everything. Please understand that I am absolutely sympathetic to what ever challenges you may be experiencing and I hope financially things clear up for you. We are making the best decision for the game as a whole, after 7 years of experimenting and "giving." That has taken a toll on us and we have to shore things up at this stage and help reset the expectations for everyone about what our game service is.

I don't doubt your interest or commitment to the game for a second Drkmouse, you've been here for a very long-time and I want to keep you, and as many of our community members together. That's why I have had to make these decisions and it's why we're in the initial phases of pressing through the understanding that we're serious about it and we have to be.

Contact me by e-mail so we can expand on this a little bit further. You are a valued community member and your contributions are recognized by the team S!.

1 person likes this

I think one reason that people are having a tough time wrapping their head around the notion of being unable to downgrade your account to a less pricey option is that you probably can’t think of another business endeavor that operates in this fashion. It’s a tough sell because it’s a pretty rare business practice is all.

49 minutes ago, ch0ad said:

I think one reason that people are having a tough time wrapping their head around the notion of being unable to downgrade your account to a less pricey option is that you probably can’t think of another business endeavor that operates in this fashion. It’s a tough sell because it’s a pretty rare business practice is all.

I think it has something to do with vehicle/unit access and how that is tied to in-game rank.  There's an issue here that pops up when trying to downgrade after having "unlocked" certain units via rank increases.  

I think, anyway.  Otherwise the lack of downgrade option really doesn't make sense to me.  Could you clarify @XOOM?

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, Capco said:

I think it has something to do with vehicle/unit access and how that is tied to in-game rank.  There's an issue here that pops up when trying to downgrade after having "unlocked" certain units via rank increases.  

I think, anyway.  Otherwise the lack of downgrade option really doesn't make sense to me.  Could you clarify @XOOM?

The lack of the downgrade option stems from the need to develop the base before we can risk losing premium subscribers. We're trying to get the new subscriber rate increased, so that we can build up our base subscribers more so, then open the doors for our premium guys. The Premium subscriber level (those actively running it) is the bread and butter of our operation. If we open this up now (allowing premium users to downgrade their accounts), without first building our base, we risk too much with only best guesses and no rock solid certainties.

So here's the things currently on my plate...

• Part 1: Get the new activations going up
    • No perpetual free play
    • No full access free trial
      • Focused infantry trial
        • Most new user support potential (everyone knows the infantry game)
        • Offers increased value / upsell to newer tiers
      • 30 day timeline
      • Promotion periods to try other access
    • Provide step-up ladder rates
  • Part 2: Increase returning activation rate
    • Provide access to new career subscriptions (not starter)
  • Part 3: Retain subscribers
    • Maintain stability of operations, reduce loss potential
    • If we open this door, without filling up 1&2, we are risking too greatly
  • Part 4: Focus on community development
    • Get Gazette operational
      • Automated rewards and recognition
      • Reconsider landing page / front door experience
    • Assist development of High Commands and Squads in post-1.36 conditions
      • HC needs to refocus its efforts into building community and conducting operations
      • Squads need to set goals
        • Routine squad nights
        • Recruitment / training of new members
          • Set new user attainment goals (ex. Expand our Squad from 5 to 10 in 30 days)
        • Reporting back to official WWIIOL Discord's and work between squads
        • Support High Command calls to action
        • Work with other Squads & HC for operations
      • CRS needs to support both of these initiatives
    • Energize positivity and interest through the community to succeed
      • Players should be more vocal about supporting the game
      • Player-Player corrective action to nay-sayers is more fruitful than us
      • Be accepting of new members joining the game
        • They're not all spies
        • They need your help
      • Formation and development of training program
        • Pfmosquito is leading this and needs extra hands
      • Upholding TOS / soft-removal of trolling or unproductive commentary
        • We've been very light on moderation, it's gotten out of hand, we are changing that
        • The WWIIOL forums and game should be a drama free, no bs type of atmosphere
        • We should be having productive discussions that lead to best outcomes
  • Part 5: Stabilize campaign operations
    • Map state may be moving too fast
    • Managing morale swings 
    • Creating an agreeable approach to balanced and fair spawn lists
    • Making essential production related decisions that stick to history and carefully evaluate business priorities
  • Part 6: Collection of OS & ISP data
    • 64-bit threat for Mac users is coming, evaluating the number of current Mac users
    • Coordinating with dev team to strategize threat management
    • ISP data collection assisting our networking / operations team to better plan services
  • Part 7: Increase Staffing / coverage
    • There are many things for us to do, and with summer here, more assistance is needed
    • CRS is capable of producing more with additional hands, and we intend to do that
    • The Roadmap is our general guideline outside of other things that pop-up

That's probably more detail than what you asked for, but that's what strikes my mind as significantly important and the things I am actively working. 

1 person likes this