pfmosquito

We need to have a talk...

18 posts in this topic

I must have an entirely different notion about what a 'patch' constitutes.  I knew that there was a patch inbound tonight, so I dutifully waited until it was ready to go.  I logged in and connected to the patch server, only to discover that I had to download the FULL PROGRAM.  Thankfully, my internet is not metered, but I don't have 100mb download speeds, either, if you know what I mean.  So, ok, I come back in an hour, and start the install.  Goes all the way through and then... cancels the install because I needed (apparently) to uninstall the game before installing the 'patch.'   And wouldn't you know it, since I downloaded through the installer, the file was not saved to my computer (at least nowhere that I could find after a scan of the typical places my downloads go).  That means that I have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.  Which, is what I'm doing as I write this post.

My strong preference would be that if we know that we are going to have to do a full uninstall/reinstall, it should be prominently displayed in several places, not the least of which would be right at the top of the 'news.'  Then, I would mosey on over to the website and download it that way, instead of through the installer.  At least that way if I run into any surprises, I already have the file to go back to.

I miss the old days, when a 'patch' was just that... a patch.

(I see no one else complaining about this, so maybe I'm bugged somehow?)

3 people like this

Sorry, I see now that the exact language was 'hot fix.'  But that suggests a file even smaller and effort even less than when I need a patch.  To me, anyway.

I feel your pain, pfmosquito. I've gotten in the habit now of just downloading the full game every time. It's a PITA, but it's better than going through that crap on a slow connection.

Also, for future reference, those downloads are stored in

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\WWIIOnline\Battleground Europe

Go in there every once in a while and clear that stuff out, it can take up a surprising amount of space after a year or two!

Edited by werwolf
1 person likes this

I just had the same exact problem. 

Not the end of the world, but surely an inconvenience when you're not expecting it ... because now I've downloaded the game, failed to install it, deleted my existing game files, downloaded the game again, and now I'm installing it - all of which takes time. I also wonder why it has to d/l Direct X every time. Is that just me? That takes a while, too. 

Edited by hillstorm

$%&$#@  CRS porked me again.  I have a very, very slow download speed.  Start downloading the "patch" and see it gonna take 45 min.  Pisses me off but what you gonna do. Leave it downloading and start surfing the web, Get bored and come to forums where I read this post. Check download and at 90% so figured ill let it finish as long as its close.  Sure enough, doesn't work and says I have to uninstall earlier version 1st.  SAY THIS [censored] 1st!!!!   Should be in 1st line of any article or read me.  How many times are you gonna this to people. 

same. it should say somewhere prominent: uninstall and download from CRS website. downloading the 'patch' from the login is a waste of time since you only learn afterwards from an error message that you have to uninstall. 

Edited by sorella
1 person likes this

go to C:\Users\YourName\Documents\WWIIOnline\ and delete whatever inside before you install anything just after downloading the patch and client closed to open the installer, 

works for me/on windows.

An updated patch is getting developed to go back to small updates .

It is still a work in progress as the installer has been re-written .

man.. you Windows guys been spoiled ;) We Mac users been doing full downloads forever (bigger than the PC full download too)..

Seriously though, the installer upgrade is not complete and we hope to have the windows patcher system finished in the next release.

2 people like this

old base program i am just suprized that it took this long for us to HAVE to do  full redown lowds ( great job on keeping   the spagetty  unwound rats ;D  )

As a once  progrmaer fro when we needed punch cards,  I understand how hard it is to NOT blow up system everytime you tweek a line. 

39 minutes ago, SCKING said:

man.. you Windows guys been spoiled ;) We Mac users been doing full downloads forever (bigger than the PC full download too)..

Seriously though, the installer upgrade is not complete and we hope to have the windows patcher system finished in the next release.

thx for the info.

and yeah at least we're complaining about something small and inconsequential compared to the historical loadout and turn ratio for some not  yet in game plane or the mantlet armour thickness for a tank the 2nd half of 42 compared to the first half of 41. or the egregious doppler effect engine audio of the off-road morris in 3rd gear in the rain.

Hello how are you doing?

16 hours ago, ghost43 said:

go to C:\Users\YourName\Documents\WWIIOnline\ and delete whatever inside before you install anything just after downloading the patch and client closed to open the installer, 

works for me/on windows.

You are aware that is that location where ALL of your Game Preferences are stored, keymaps included among other things. The Game files are located within C:\Program Files (x86)\CRS\WWIIOnline.

Cheers.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, pfmosquito said:

I must have an entirely different notion about what a 'patch' constitutes.  I knew that there was a patch inbound tonight, so I dutifully waited until it was ready to go.  I logged in and connected to the patch server, only to discover that I had to download the FULL PROGRAM.  Thankfully, my internet is not metered, but I don't have 100mb download speeds, either, if you know what I mean.  So, ok, I come back in an hour, and start the install.  Goes all the way through and then... cancels the install because I needed (apparently) to uninstall the game before installing the 'patch.'   And wouldn't you know it, since I downloaded through the installer, the file was not saved to my computer (at least nowhere that I could find after a scan of the typical places my downloads go).  That means that I have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.  Which, is what I'm doing as I write this post.

My strong preference would be that if we know that we are going to have to do a full uninstall/reinstall, it should be prominently displayed in several places, not the least of which would be right at the top of the 'news.'  Then, I would mosey on over to the website and download it that way, instead of through the installer.  At least that way if I run into any surprises, I already have the file to go back to.

I miss the old days, when a 'patch' was just that... a patch.

(I see no one else complaining about this, so maybe I'm bugged somehow?)

We were hoping that the patching builder would be fixed by this recent release but it didn't make it, thus requiring another full installer to be used.

I'm sorry you and others seemed to have issues downloading an 800MB update, which is tiny when compared to other game's updates which often go beyond 2GB let alone the GBs if you needed to do a clean install, and then had issues getting the old version uninstalled and then the new version installed. What should have been mentioned in the public updates was the specific need to do a full uninstall/install and the fact of the 99% download issue but it was missed this go around. We'll strive to keep more open comms with the community in this regard for future releases.

We already have another Hotfix planned for release and we do intend for the patching builder to be working for that release. This only applies to PC installers as the Mac players will still need to download the full client.

Also, to clear some other things up...

As james10 mentioned, the My Documents location which stores keymappings, screenshots and other things is located at:

C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Documents\WWIIOnline

Installation location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CRS\WWIIOnline

Playgate download location (this is where you would have found your full installer after the "failed download" which could have been ran fine instead of needing to redownload it again):

C:\ProgramData\WWIIOnLine

On 9/10/2019 at 0:01 AM, hillstorm said:

I also wonder why it has to d/l Direct X every time. Is that just me? That takes a while, too.

It doesn't need to download/install DirectX or the VC libraries each time you install a new version of the game. The only time it's really needed is on the initial (first) installation. There are check boxes on the last page of the installer which you can uncheck which means they will not be downloaded/installed again.

2 hours ago, SNIPER62 said:

It doesn't need to download/install DirectX or the VC libraries each time you install a new version of the game. The only time it's really needed is on the initial (first) installation. There are check boxes on the last page of the installer which you can uncheck which means they will not be downloaded/installed again.

Roger that, thanks. 

Sometimes it pays to be a prograstinator ,   OK truth be told I haven't had a chance to log in as of late , but now that I know what you guys went thru I make sure to Uninstall the game once again and hope the keymapper stays put , and reinstall the full game.