ch0ad

Please - I'm begging you.....

9 posts in this topic

Commit yourself in 2020 to releasing updates that work seamlessly for your customers.

By that I mean - updates that do not require you to uninstall the game completely. As it is now, seems to be happening 2 out of 5 updates.

Attempting to launch the game, wait for a 800 MB update to download, then have said update fail resulting in a message to uninstall the game and try applying the "update" again. Apply to what? The game doesn't exist on your computer any longer! Then having to go to the website to download said installer - and screw around some more .......... it's simply not becoming of a professional outfit.

 

And if you are lucky your custom key mappings will stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the good news front the mission automation seems to be working very well...this is a great quasi fix to the convulted mission system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dropbear said:

On the good news front the mission automation seems to be working very well...this is a great quasi fix to the convulted mission system.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. It messes me up any time I try to make a different mission. If I get in a hurry I wind up spawning in and then having to spawn out and when that happens I have to create a new mission. If I die...It cancels my mission and I have to create a new mission... every... damn... time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quincannon said:

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. It messes me up any time I try to make a different mission. If I get in a hurry I wind up spawning in and then having to spawn out and when that happens I have to create a new mission. If I die...It cancels my mission and I have to create a new mission... every... damn... time.

 

Doesn’t make sense.. Every time you die, you have to create a whole new mission? Anyone else have this issue? Was the mission from a depot that had been captured? That is the only scenerio where I can see that as possible

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ch0ad said:

Commit yourself in 2020 to releasing updates that work seamlessly for your customers.

By that I mean - updates that do not require you to uninstall the game completely. As it is now, seems to be happening 2 out of 5 updates.

Attempting to launch the game, wait for a 800 MB update to download, then have said update fail resulting in a message to uninstall the game and try applying the "update" again. Apply to what? The game doesn't exist on your computer any longer! Then having to go to the website to download said installer - and screw around some more .......... it's simply not becoming of a professional outfit.

 

And if you are lucky your custom key mappings will stick.

As much as it may be a pain in the arse to fully uninstall and reinstall the full game installer it does show progress. The last few times that I recall CRS forcing players to do a full uninstall and reinstall were with the big Terrain release, which hasn't been done in 10+ years, and with the initial launch of 1.36, which was worked on for over a year and something that changed the dynamics of the game play, and finally these last two release. The first being a totally new installer, there were a ton of things that changed and the safest method for installation was a full uninstall/reinstall. We were hoping that the patching builder would be fixed by this recent release but it didn't make it, thus requiring another full installer to be used.

All of that said to prove the point of progress and not just small changes of progress. Each of the above releases were considered to be pretty significant. As I said, the safest course of action was for clean installs in order to ensure everyone was on the same page and nothing got corrupt through a patching upgrade.

I'm sorry you and others seemed to have issues downloading an 800MB update, which is tiny when compared to other game's updates which often go beyond 2GB let alone the GBs if you needed to do a clean install, and then had issues getting the old version uninstalled and then the new version installed. What should have been mentioned in the public updates was the specific need to do a full uninstall/install and the fact of the 99% download issue but it was missed this go around. We'll strive to keep more open comms with the community in this regard for future releases.

We already have another Hotfix planned for release and we do intend for the patching builder to be working for that release. This only applies to PC installers as the Mac players will still need to download the full client.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, SNIPER62 said:

I'm sorry you and others seemed to have issues downloading an 800MB update, which is tiny when compared to other game's updates which often go beyond 2GB let alone the GBs if you needed to do a clean install, and then had issues getting the old version uninstalled and then the new version installed. What should have been mentioned in the public updates was the specific need to do a full uninstall/install and the fact of the 99% download issue but it was missed this go around. We'll strive to keep more open comms with the community in this regard for future releases.

I see what you did there. Nice try but not gonna work ;)

Zero issues downloading 800 MB of data. Both times i had to download it (during update process and fresh install) it went as well as expected. I did not have issues uninstalling the game. Nor did i have an issue installing the game from scratch.

That wasn't the point. Then again, you already knew that based on your other comments.

But anyways ... glad you got it figured out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having customers having to do anything other than simply download, and press next --> next --> complete, is something we try to avoid at all costs. Substantial work was done on patches that required this. I'll say it again, it's not the first, second or third desired option, it's only done if absolutely necessary. I understand your point @ch0ad, believe me, we deal with the fall out for customers who either do not read or do not initially understand what to do. 

But the installer was pretty much rebuilt along with the directories and that's pretty significant, and was done for good purposes.

Thanks to everyone for your grace on this. S! 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.