• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kgarner

Awareness for better coordination

14 posts in this topic

From an HC perspective..... being able to see, well spawned into game, what missions are posts, to where, and who is on them..... would be probably the best single addition to the game for coordination purposes that I can think of.  Maybe just an additional tab well at the map...... would be pretty sexy.  Seeing who is where and doing what is probably the hardest thing to manage that I run into well trying to get fun fights going.  This would help alot.

This has some redundancy, why have the "Deployed Forces" column all the way over to the right when the first window is "Mission Members" which lists the Callsign, Equipment, and whether or not they are in?  Resize those columns (half that screen size to a quarter of this window) and you have more room for more information.  Leave the details alone.  The Orders should go where "Deployed Forces are.

y4DQPrd.png

All the info can be moved to the left side opening the right side for more information (I personally would like to see a fixed scale map of the target) Town/Foward base etc, airfield, etc.

y8oOuBt.png

Edited by downtown

I just want to have the "active missions" screen......... but in my map well im spawned into game.

Edited by kgarner

This is the sort of thing I have been arguing for all along under the rubric game tools.

The crying need is for AO/DO Commandeer screens that show the designated commander all the mission leaders pointed at his objective and where their spawns are.  AO/DO commander doesn't get Godvision and see everyone on his side on the map, but would know who to contact for each mission and where to direct players to go to get to something fast.

1 person likes this

yes there some pretty simple things that could be done to make cohesion much more efficient.  The free-for-all that is now..... is not good for the game. 

I just want to have the "active missions" screen......... but in my map well im spawned into game.

just noticed typo from my last response..... 

Having a view of the "active missions" screen well spawned into game would be a huge improvement

This might be something the new UI will provide. Need to ask @SNIPER62

Selecting a target will also filter the attached missions.

If we somehow also had information regarding the enemy forces engaged on that same objective, I personally believe veterans would use it wisely to balance forces and set priorities 

That's a good idea.  Right now winning is all about trying to get your guys where their guys are not.  That's sort of the opposite of how it should be I think......... 

The mission creation paradigm has always been... aspirational.

Setting targets, etc seems to rarely happen. Basically, spawns open, and people do whatever.

If the goal was actually cohesion, for "missions" to in fact be missions, then the mission creation and subsequent spawning should have some teeth. Some power for the ML to actually drive what happens.

The trouble is there is no possible mechanism short of requiring some dwell time in a target CP required to achieve score/rank/stats (assuming anyone cares about those in the least). All that would result would be that all missions would become area attack/defense, I suppose.

If the rank system were to be redone, there might be some drivers possible. Ie: Rank resets with death, and rank buys choice in what to spawn. Or a combination of rank, and points of some kind. You get points for capping, points for guarding, points for kills, and those points can be related to fulfilling the mission you spawn into (capping the target CP, not some other CP). The points get used to buy equipment at the spawn (what is and isn't available to you).

I haven't thought this out, so stream of consciousness, bear with me...

OK, rank would be noncoms, or maybe up to Lt. Rank would buy ML capability more than anything else (we're trying to make ML and missions matter, I'm assuming). With on-sides rules (required), and other constraints, perhaps higher level MLs could place a walking MSP. This rank would have some points system to rank up, and death would be a very large point subtraction. Someone who stays a high ML rank likely has not died much, but an LT might drop to a Sgt after a couple deaths, for example.

MLs would set targets as the system has now, and people getting points for rank, and equipment points would be earned partially as a function of following the mission as well. If the goal is capping, then being part of the capping team in that CP gets you the most points. Kill location is likely not tracked, so all kills are points regardless, and KIA/MIA/RES give different points (the first2 of those might be negative points, RES 0 and with RTB being 1+ points). Guarding seems to exist as something tracked (I see it in AAR, but never noticed if it is turned on), so if the target is a CP, then you get more points for guarding that CP.

Since most weapons were in fact used by Pvts, most weapons would be available to everyone, but the numbers available for free might be rank limited. Some weapons might require Cpl rank (typically SMGs were Cpls, for example). So a Pvt (you've been running into a CP and killing, but being killed a bunch) with points can buy the SMG they want (it's literally if you have the points, the unit is available, nothing extra to click) if the free to spawn ones are gone. A Pvt without points, say someone who dies without killing anyone a bunch, very quickly gets stuck with a rifle. Certain units might cost many more points (sniper rifles, for example).

If the point structure is done such that the bulk of points to be earned is via helping the team (CPs, basically), then the way to spawn what you like is to do that. If the mission is area defense of the FB, then that's how you earn points. Maybe hitting ML waypoints gets you points? Handing out ammo gives you points? A ML gets points by making waypoints, or might get a share of all the points on his mission (as a reward for being a proactive ML). You get the idea, even if the specifics are all over the map here. Right now there are a lot of tools that simply don;t get used in the current cat herding business.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, kgarner said:

That's a good idea.  Right now winning is all about trying to get your guys where their guys are not.  That's sort of the opposite of how it should be I think......... 

Well this is where history and military science clashes with entertainment and game.

6 hours ago, tater said:

The mission creation paradigm has always been... aspirational.

Setting targets, etc seems to rarely happen. Basically, spawns open, and people do whatever.

If the goal was actually cohesion, for "missions" to in fact be missions, then the mission creation and subsequent spawning should have some teeth. Some power for the ML to actually drive what happens.

The trouble is there is no possible mechanism short of requiring some dwell time in a target CP required to achieve score/rank/stats (assuming anyone cares about those in the least). All that would result would be that all missions would become area attack/defense, I suppose.

If the rank system were to be redone, there might be some drivers possible. Ie: Rank resets with death, and rank buys choice in what to spawn. Or a combination of rank, and points of some kind. You get points for capping, points for guarding, points for kills, and those points can be related to fulfilling the mission you spawn into (capping the target CP, not some other CP). The points get used to buy equipment at the spawn (what is and isn't available to you).

I haven't thought this out, so stream of consciousness, bear with me...

OK, rank would be noncoms, or maybe up to Lt. Rank would buy ML capability more than anything else (we're trying to make ML and missions matter, I'm assuming). With on-sides rules (required), and other constraints, perhaps higher level MLs could place a walking MSP. This rank would have some points system to rank up, and death would be a very large point subtraction. Someone who stays a high ML rank likely has not died much, but an LT might drop to a Sgt after a couple deaths, for example.

MLs would set targets as the system has now, and people getting points for rank, and equipment points would be earned partially as a function of following the mission as well. If the goal is capping, then being part of the capping team in that CP gets you the most points. Kill location is likely not tracked, so all kills are points regardless, and KIA/MIA/RES give different points (the first2 of those might be negative points, RES 0 and with RTB being 1+ points). Guarding seems to exist as something tracked (I see it in AAR, but never noticed if it is turned on), so if the target is a CP, then you get more points for guarding that CP.

Since most weapons were in fact used by Pvts, most weapons would be available to everyone, but the numbers available for free might be rank limited. Some weapons might require Cpl rank (typically SMGs were Cpls, for example). So a Pvt (you've been running into a CP and killing, but being killed a bunch) with points can buy the SMG they want (it's literally if you have the points, the unit is available, nothing extra to click) if the free to spawn ones are gone. A Pvt without points, say someone who dies without killing anyone a bunch, very quickly gets stuck with a rifle. Certain units might cost many more points (sniper rifles, for example).

If the point structure is done such that the bulk of points to be earned is via helping the team (CPs, basically), then the way to spawn what you like is to do that. If the mission is area defense of the FB, then that's how you earn points. Maybe hitting ML waypoints gets you points? Handing out ammo gives you points? A ML gets points by making waypoints, or might get a share of all the points on his mission (as a reward for being a proactive ML). You get the idea, even if the specifics are all over the map here. Right now there are a lot of tools that simply don;t get used in the current cat herding business.

I do like the idea of using points for gaining access to equipment...... would need alot of work to make it function right.  But the general idea of gainning points by doing this or that.... and then exchanging those points for better spawn equipment would be pretty cool I think..... and give players more direction 

.what would these points get you,  irl would buy all the supply up

DE Navy Oct 02 14:24 - 14:28           Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman  460 0 0    0 RTB 3
  DE Navy Oct 02 14:13 - 14:24        Moerdijk          Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman  1640   0   0   0  RTB 11
  DE Navy Oct 02 13:40 - 14:13   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman                3400 0 0 0 RTB 33
  DE Navy Oct 02 10:09 - 10:30   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 2580 0 0 0 RTB 20
  DE Navy Oct 02 09:58 - 10:08   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 1260 0 0 0 RTB 10
  DE Navy Oct 02 09:37 - 09:57   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 2480 0 0 0 RTB 20
  DE Navy Oct 02 09:09 - 09:25   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 2580 0 0 0 RTB 16
  DE Navy Oct 02 08:38 - 08:52   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 1920 0 0 0 RTB 13
  DE Navy Oct 02 08:19 - 08:35   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 2880 0 0 0 RTB 15
  DE Navy Oct 02 08:12 - 08:18   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 1000 0 0 0 RTB 6
  DE Navy Oct 02 07:58 - 08:10   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 2180 0 0 0 RTB 11
  DE Navy Oct 02 07:50 - 07:58   Moerdijk Moerdijk AB Attack DE Rifleman 1140 0 0 0 RTB 7
Edited by chzacc

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0