• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Elfin

Gamey versus Not Gamey

Gamey or Not Gamey?   45 members have voted

1. 1. Some players have decided to park vehicles directly in front of the spawn point of their enemies forward mobile spawn. What do you think?

• Gamey (i.e. poor game etiquette, cheating-not 'real' kills etc...)
    • Not Gamey (i.e. all is fair in love and war...and especially on line gaming)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

87 posts in this topic

What is the effect? Are they 

(A) just camping it (at very close range) with mg or another weapon?

(B) driving into the ei as soon as they spawn, running them over?

(C) obstructing the actual spawning, ei are unable to spawn or are trapped within the vehicle?

(D) something else?

Not so long ago I spawned into a 251 semi camped FMS. Got word the mg gunner was killed so I spawned in and found a mg34 inside the spawn camping. I tend to like trying to clear them, couldn’t so I figured I would spawn at another one mb 600m away and clear the lmg. By the time I got within vis range I watched the 251 pull up over the spawn in point. There where 2 more ei standing around camping. I killed those guys but got killed. So I spawned a mle38 at the camped and 251 covered fms. I entered just inside the 251 and deployed. The lmg opened up on me but the 251 stopped him from being able to kill me. At that moment a engineer ran in front to place a charge. I blasted him, then exploded the 251 and traded with the lmg inside the FMS who was able to kill me when the 251 exploded. I cleared the FMS. That FMS stayed up and we managed to cap 2 spawns from it. It stayed up till we pulled the AO an hour or so later.

3 people like this

What happens exactly?

Strickes me that the game encourages camping in general, and camping FMS in particular. Who cares how it happens?

1 person likes this

my understanding is that if a vehicle is parked in from of FMS in a way that  it insta-kills any spawning inf  that  not just "Gamey" but actively against the rules and should be .reported.   

8 people like this

5 hours ago, hillstorm said:

What is the effect? Are they 

(A) just camping it (at very close range) with mg or another weapon?

(B) driving into the ei as soon as they spawn, running them over?

(C) obstructing the actual spawning, ei are unable to spawn or are trapped within the vehicle?

(D) something else?

Basically C

3 hours ago, foe2 said:

my understanding is that if a vehicle is parked in from of FMS in a way that  it insta-kills any spawning inf  that  not just "Gamey" but actively against the rules and should be .reported.   

I have seen people "twirl" ATG's in front of an FMS...getting kills.

4 hours ago, stankyus said:

Not so long ago I spawned into a 251 semi camped FMS. Got word the mg gunner was killed so I spawned in and found a mg34 inside the spawn camping. I tend to like trying to clear them, couldn’t so I figured I would spawn at another one mb 600m away and clear the lmg. By the time I got within vis range I watched the 251 pull up over the spawn in point. There where 2 more ei standing around camping. I killed those guys but got killed. So I spawned a mle38 at the camped and 251 covered fms. I entered just inside the 251 and deployed. The lmg opened up on me but the 251 stopped him from being able to kill me. At that moment a engineer ran in front to place a charge. I blasted him, then exploded the 251 and traded with the lmg inside the FMS who was able to kill me when the 251 exploded. I cleared the FMS. That FMS stayed up and we managed to cap 2 spawns from it. It stayed up till we pulled the AO an hour or so later.

So like "real" life ? 

;)

Very interesting though.

What was going on with that code. lol.

Thanks for sharing.

S!

Normal..
Change fms  if you want this to stop.

I love campering an efms with 232... lol

S!

Edited by kareca

Tough call, but basically it just means your MS (and surrounding area) is overrun, you have lost ZOC, so pull the FMS.

3 people like this

I would think a GM would warn and then boot someone that does that.. So please .report it and the GMs would investigate

3 people like this

3 hours ago, foe2 said:

I'm honestly not sure if I care how I get killed while spawning, if that was something they were actually concerned with, they could make people spawn inside in a way they could not be shot (then if camped they could RTB).

Seems like it means you don't control the ground.

1 person likes this

Just now, SCKING said:

I would think a GM would warn and then boot someone that does that.. So please .report it and the GMs would investigate

It seems odd to me that the game would allow a behavior by design, then make it somehow illegal. There are tank traps to keep vehicles from using the FMS as a ramp, for example, it could have been designed to spawn inside, for example (with a tiny step ATGs would drop out of, allowing exit, but not entry).

I don;t drive vehicles enough for this to matter to me, but it seems like camping is desired behavior due to game design I'd wager the large majority of many people's kills are camping).

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, tater said:

It seems odd to me that the game would allow a behavior by design, then make it somehow illegal. There are tank traps to keep vehicles from using the FMS as a ramp, for example, it could have been designed to spawn inside, for example (with a tiny step ATGs would drop out of, allowing exit, but not entry).

I don;t drive vehicles enough for this to matter to me, but it seems like camping is desired behavior due to game design I'd wager the large majority of many people's kills are camping).

This game has a lot of oddities that need to be rethought and redesigned

6 people like this

Shows the mentality/morality of some players.  It's been a reportable offence for ages. And the limp excuse of o my engine died and I just happened to stop here ...... Lol. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, SCKING said:

This game has a lot of oddities that need to be rethought and redesigned

See below.

1 hour ago, goreblimey said:

Shows the mentality/morality of some players.  It's been a reportable offence for ages. And the limp excuse of o my engine died and I just happened to stop here ...... Lol. 

True, but if the same tank/AC/whatever was just a few yards away and shooting, the place is just as camped, and needs to be pulled.

It might be nice (aside from on-sides rules for MSPs, which needs to be a thing!) to have a sort of polling system. If you get killed at a MSP, add a "spawn camped" button, (one for regular KIA, one says spawn camped). Note that you have to be within RTB range for this to be a thing. If the system sees a few of these within some time period, it suspends spawning and sends an alert to the ML that the MSP is camped.

2 hours ago, delems said:

Tough call, but basically it just means your MS (and surrounding area) is overrun, you have lost ZOC, so pull the FMS.

Sometimes it just means a Opel/Betty saw your FMS and decided to park were you spawn to kill you as y spawn in. No camping going on, no overrun. 

2 hours ago, SCKING said:

99% of the time it's a truck/251/ht that pulls this. However it is very easily removed by spawning an atg or aa gun. The last time I had a tank sit on my FMS spawn point was simply because he was crafty. He was in a good area to engage our shermans but he could not camp our FMS or ignore it and fight the shermans so he parked over the spawn point. So instead of respawning infantry I spawned a mle34 inside his tank and shot the crew. Handled in about 30 seconds with a easy mle34 kill on a p4g. That was mb six maps ago.

2 people like this

I remember fondly the days when spawn camping was the kind of thing that got players banned from games. It's amazing how the gaming culture has almpst come to revere and admire a once totally loathed and reviled practice. Ah well.

Actually, though...With FMSs, I admit that it's a different thing... players can still spawn or bring up other FMSs. With the goal to suppress until it can be blown...it's reasonable to cover the spawn and kill anyone using it. Heck, depending on how it works.. some folks might still get away if you have to reload... They might kill the suppressor.

I DON'T understand putting a vehicle on the spawn spot and killing people before they can even finish spawning in. Heck some will try it a few times before they realize that it's not a glitch. When I spawn and get shot that I get. If I die AS I spawn and see nothing...I assume it might be a tech issue... This type of thing can cause a player to log off... reboot their computer... check their settings... who knows? And why? Because they don't really know what happened...and as I always say...If they are a NEW player and die every time they spawn in and don't know how or why... there goes a customer.

If you're going to camp... at least do it the usual way... This vehicle thing is a messed up move.

That said...If you go to all the trouble to drive and place a FMS.. why the heck don't you fortify it? A ATG pit to the rear and  sides would provide cover for inf, ATG and AAA, and help fool air attacks. Barbed wire walls make it more difficult for engineers to place charges... If you take 5 minutes after you build an FMS to protect it... it just might help prevent some of this crap.

S!S!S!

1 person likes this

the use of a truck  or  liek ot kil ei on the spot as the spawn is bad for game the  sapnewer  has zero chance.. and is jsu t plain cheep. 

Better would be an MSP for infantry that is a line of X foxhole objects spread across some reasonable frontage (a few 10s of m). Inf would spawn in prone, protected somewhat, and more importantly, they would spawn in randomly in one of the foxholes.

Camping the MSP would still be a thing, clearly, but the spawns would be more distributed, and maybe it would be slightly harder to do.

Maybe a choice of FMS types...

1 person likes this

What I often do is build a tank emplacement in front of the MSP (spawn side), still leaving place for guns to spawn and exit the area. Camping is usually drastically decreased or forces the camper to deploy 90 degrees to the right or to the left, opening its flank to friendly Armor coming from the rear 

The game indeed has oddities but we have the tools to balance these. Just need communication, preparation, coordination and patience.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, SCKING said:

Yes, please .report it!   Having a vehicle parked (intentionally or not) where players spawn-in is  not tolerated. 

Please provide the player who killed you in the report so GM's can act faster. 

2 people like this

12 hours ago, stankyus said:

99% of the time it's a truck/251/ht that pulls this. However it is very easily removed by spawning an atg or aa gun. The last time I had a tank sit on my FMS spawn point was simply because he was crafty. He was in a good area to engage our shermans but he could not camp our FMS or ignore it and fight the shermans so he parked over the spawn point. So instead of respawning infantry I spawned a mle34 inside his tank and shot the crew. Handled in about 30 seconds with a easy mle34 kill on a p4g. That was mb six maps ago.

Ok.

Put that in my "tool belt"

lol

S!

Everyone. thanks for sharing.

You have helped me develop my understanding of the game dynamics around this small feature of the game.

S!