• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
XOOM

New Bunkers: TOP 10 town list

35 posts in this topic

Everyone is interested in the new Bunkers reporting to the starting lines / most played areas of WWII Online. We've asked the production team to begin examining what it would take and prepare resources to swap out the bunkers in 10 of the most played and uniquely strategic towns. Given that these are pretty high-poly at this stage, I'd recommend we start with 1 AB smaller towns (like Schilde, for example).

If you were to create your TOP 10 list of where these new bunkers would have maximum return on investment for player fun and creating memorable game moments, where would they be?

Remember: Only 1AB towns as a starting point for this discussion! Also identify whether it's the pentagon bunker with the outer perimeter, or the regular bunker (no outer walls).

Here's the regular city bunker (good for AB Walls)

citybunker.jpg

Here's the pentagon bunker (shouldn't have AB walls)

pentagonbunker-1.jpg

Maybe off topic here, but I think the first bunker would look visually a little more appealling,  and a little more natural-looking in its surroundings, if the color of the bunker’s stones were a bit closer to the color of the stones on the ground, and the color of the stones of the AB walls.  Right now the bunker kind of just pops out of the ground like its from a different color pallette entirely.  Otherwise it looks nice of  course!

Ps:  Maybe in different towns the color pallete is different and it looks more natural in other locations.  I am only speaking about the top photo in this thread - and I know there are many towns with that type of AB so just thought I would mention it.

Sorry to get off topic of this thred.

cheers!

Edited by krazydog

Some possibilities:

Schilde, Longuyon, Ciney, Hayes, Jodo, Aars, Tienen, Eghezee, Gedinne.

But, I think more bang for buck by changing SPs to 1 story instead of 3 stories.

Edited by delems

I would want these in Maginot Line and Siegfried Line towns, maybe Atlantic Wall towns, signifying its a fortress town.

5 people like this

At least these Towns where we have fortifications in Belgium:

-Dinant

-Liege

-Namur

1 person likes this

-Regular walled 1ab towns we fight over alot

schilde

ciney

turnhout

bouillion

tienan

st truiden

haybes

flavion

Lier

————————-

-pentagon bunkers open 1ab

leuven

diest

roermomds

kalmthout

wavre

waterloo

bertrix? Been awhile forgot

ramet

Walsorden

Aalst

Edited by Jsilec
1 person likes this

Ramet, La Capelle, Schilde. I don`t think they should be in walled ABs.

Edited by Actonman

Would be good to put in particular the hexagon one out away from the town as a sort of frontline defense sort of thing in a small number of places with broad fields of fire guarding the route to town. Someplace like the south flags at Leuven. Don't reckon you have to use them as the bunker every time. 

Edited by blggles
1 person likes this

Good start so far, thanks, guys!

This is one of those things that you get to directly have a say on as players relating to development! Make sure to chime in as we're still hoping for additional players to comment and provide your recommendations.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, blggles said:

Would be good to put in particular the hexagon one out away from the town as a sort of frontline defense sort of thing in a small number of places with broad fields of fire guarding the route to town. Someplace like the south flags at Leuven. Don't reckon you have to use them as the bunker every time. 

I’ll +1 this idea. The open pentagon one makes a pretty good “open field” defense. Taking the fighting out to the outskirts/open fields of town, especially ones spread out like Leuven, antwerp North/central, always adds another dimension to the game.

similar to how we use open-ab courtyard for a variety of random CPs in some towns. 

All central towns would be awesome, except Diest and Leuven. Those two are unique and wonderful the way they are. 

On 10/19/2019 at 11:08 PM, Kilemall said:

I would want these in Maginot Line and Siegfried Line towns, maybe Atlantic Wall towns, signifying its a fortress town.

Prepare your top 10 list for me :) 

3 hours ago, pulfer said:

All central towns would be awesome, except Diest and Leuven. Those two are unique and wonderful the way they are. 

Appreciate your feedback but I am looking for a top 10 list. Need something less generic.

I would prioritize towns that have an isolated AB and not change the ones where Bunkers are close to other buildings, the design of those awesome bunkers do not belong in urban areas, they are clearly meant to oversee open fields like Airfields or on the edge of coastal towns... Maybe towns near a river  too would make sense as well.

But yes it would be good to have more of those in Game. Stuff like that trigger excitement to players and to my opinion help retaining guys in game... New buildings, new terrain fixtures, new PPOs... That s fun to have stuff to discover, play with, fight in....

1 person likes this

One consideration. The octagon bunker will only fit the "footprint" of the current farm compound bunkers. It won't fit most walled ABs short of a lot of building removal

the farm compound bunkers are my favorite , don't change those . In fact make other capture buildings just like it.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, tatonka said:

the farm compound bunkers are my favorite , don't change those . In fact make other capture buildings just like it.

I think the plan is to swap out some of each but keep a mix of all 4

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, OLDZEKE said:

I think the plan is to swap out some of each but keep a mix of all 4

Too bad, since the farm ones are actually decent.

54 minutes ago, OLDZEKE said:

One consideration. The octagon bunker will only fit the "footprint" of the current farm compound bunkers. It won't fit most walled ABs short of a lot of building removal

Then don't use that one, I guess.

Kalmthout

Leuven

Ciney

Arlon

Montmedy

Haybes

Gedinne

Lier

Eghzee

Berlin

Something else that would be cool that probably wouldnt take much if any development work would be those cool fortifications near the inf spawns at area51. those would be fun to have on the main map as a big ppo (make it long build time and long cooldown time) or just preplaced around random areas on the edges of a town

Edited by dfire

Namur

Schilde

Haybes

Verdun

Andenne

Schweich

Grevenmacher

St. T

Eghezee?

Vise

------------------------------------------------

I though of those towns because mainly half of them have mountains nearby. Whoever is attacking those towns, can suppress the new bunkers from mountains, then players can have PPO's/fortifications around it, along with the outskirts, so that side won't be suppressing the AB from the mountain. 

Just my thought.

:P 

On 10/21/2019 at 5:26 PM, XOOM said:

Prepare your top 10 list for me :) 

Appreciate your feedback but I am looking for a top 10 list. Need something less generic.

Aarschot, Tienen, St. Truiden, Schilde, Lier, Jodoigne, Wavre, Zandvliet, Antwerp North, Brussels SE.

Diest, Leuven, Kalmthout, Turnhout and Ciney are already different and quite enjoyable. 

Ok, reviewed the whole thing, and I think Atlantic Wall is out and most of the Belgian stuff.

So simplest thing to do is do 5 Allied towns, 5 Axis towns, corresponding mostly to the Maginot Line and the Siegfried Line or Westwall.

Allies-

Namur

Montmedy

Longuyon

Thionville

Verdun

Axis-

Geilenkirchen

Aachen

Hurtgenwald

Monschau

Trier

Nice mix of different towns.  Given the way this goes, we'll see the Allied towns more often, but at least some of the German towns are necessary on the way to an Allied win and both lines will provide big town/little town variability.

Namur gets one cause it's really the last Belgian fortress town and any kind of defense might have made it a lot tougher.

In researching this I found the line should go through Boulay.  There is no way the Heer punches through there before the Sedan breakout.  Does Boulay start French?  I forget.

Edited by Kilemall

We have now turned this into a ticket in our project management system, and soon it will be worked on and pushed for implementation.

These are the last moments to get your say in, so contribute your list while you can!

1 person likes this

Regular

schilde

ciney

jodoigne

charleville

tienen

bouillon

haybes

andenne

lier

orval

————————-

pentagon

leuven

diest

givet

kalmthout

wavre

st-niklaas

beauraing

boom

etain

lechesne

Place them in spots where the most predictable cuts happen at map start ... La Fare i think, i could be wrong.